Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2021

Eskimo Joe

29 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Unfortunately you’ll never experience a Jan 25, 1985 east of the mountains. 

But I can testify it was something else. We were below zero for about 60 hours ... bottom at -26

The Jan 1985 event actually did drop several inches of snow in some areas of northern/central Maryland east of the mountains. With @Stormfly getting 6-7" in 40-45mins and @CAPE getting 4" in ~45mins. CAPE was living west of the bay at the time though IIRC. But your point still stands about how uncommon something like that is.

1 minute ago, George BM said:

The Jan 1985 event actually did drop several inches of snow in some areas of northern/central Maryland east of the mountains. With @Stormfly getting 6-7" in 40-45mins and @CAPE getting 4" in ~45mins. CAPE was living west of the bay at the time though IIRC. But your point still stands about how uncommon something like that is.

Yes I was in Carroll county then. Instant whiteout when that hit, with rapid temp drop and flash freeze.

Only event that was close to that, although not as dramatic, was the mid Feb convective snow in 2015. That was over 3" in about the same amount of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George BM said:

Yeah. Our standards are pretty low here in general. :unsure: 

Once in a while we luck into more legit convective snow showers like on February 9, 2017, ... April 9, 2016 from NVA into SMD, ...and, of course, the favorite recent convective snow event in these parts... February 14, 2015. 

I'd love more than anything to experience a January 25, 1985 event here. 

Did you mean April 9, 2006? In Ridge, MD (a couple miles north of point lookout) there was 4-5 slushy inches in a short time period with crazy heavy snow. It was unbelievably cold for April  also so piles and patches of it could be seen for 4 more days making it a real unusual landscape for far Southern Maryland in mid April.

2 hours ago, chris21 said:

Did you mean April 9, 2006? In Ridge, MD (a couple miles north of point lookout) there was 4-5 slushy inches in a short time period with crazy heavy snow. It was unbelievably cold for April  also so piles and patches of it could be seen for 4 more days making it a real unusual landscape for far Southern Maryland in mid April.

I don't remember an April snow event in 2006. Do you mean 2007? It snowed during the early morning hours on April 7, 2007 and IIRC areas to the south got more snow than DC proper. I'm not entirely sure if anyone saw rates like that though.

7 minutes ago, George BM said:

I don't remember an April snow event in 2006. Do you mean 2007? It snowed during the early morning hours on April 7, 2007 and IIRC areas to the south got more snow than DC proper. I'm not entirely sure if anyone saw rates like that though.

It was 2007! My senior year of college at St. Mary’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris21 said:

No he’s correct- April 9, 2016 had snow showers that went through central Calvert. I got 1.4” here. Quite an amazing event!

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah I posted in the LR thread (makes more sense for this in here) that 500 closed off vs prior GFS runs.  I thought based on the 48H panel, we'd see some flurries get to DC.  Not out of the game for a car topper!

Yeah, looks like flurries at least. Surprising

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic