• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure what my opinion of V16 is ... I've heard some floated rumors that it's verification/scoring is besting the current operational variant - as well as other models too.. But where?  What sigma level/metrics ??  ...I mean, is through the whole troposphere ...? or just in the 500 mb ongoing cinema -

I will say I like the 12z V16's entrenched cold look as being more realistic for just knowing how cold air is heavier and any positive soundings will tend to stay that way - duh...

That looks like brief snow to bee-bees and glazing in interior SNE probably down into N CT ... and looking at the meso-beta low down there near CHH/Cape.. combined with a clear dam in the PP NW of there.. .that thing is going to end that way, too - period. 

Seems we go through this doubt shit every time this sets up ... It's really no different in/when wondering if that BD in April is actually going to come down and bargaining all these rationalities why it won't  - how does that end for you ?

But ...as I said last hour.. if the high moves off more so than these GFS members have it... that's a different ball game

I've seen a few evaluations for the v16 now. On the whole it performs better than the GFS for a lot of things. 

Primarily you'll probably hear about its 500 mb Z scores. So far it's running a solid 3rd (behind Euro/Ukie) and a definite improvement over V15. It also improved the medium range cold bias. 

It does however have a significant right of track bias on TCs, and still overmixes the boundary layer and produces lower CAPE than ideal. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I've seen a few evaluations for the v16 now. On the whole it performs better than the GFS for a lot of things. 

Primarily you'll probably hear about its 500 mb Z scores. So far it's running a solid 3rd (behind Euro/Ukie) and a definite improvement over V15. It also improved the medium range cold bias. 

It does however have a significant right of track bias on TCs, and still overmixes the boundary layer and produces lower CAPE than ideal. 

Second best model reference right there!

2 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Euro did try to get that follow up wave up the coast. Regardless of ptype it was a huge nod to the para idea

I know you've been pushing this event  ... this 'follow up' thing  :)   ... it's all good - but it's not really only indirectly related to this thread, which was specific to the NYE and Day time frame.  Just sayin' 

I will say though, that this is following awfully close in space, so it may be a bit dynamics starved ...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ugly... the pattern is ugly squared...

This pattern and this thing ...it's like growing up rural in town of 12,400 people, and only seeing the same girls and so you think that one is so precious ... until you go to Frisco or LA or NYC and see women

Ice just tossed his laptop in the direction of Ayer,MA.

Hadn’t looked at this but enjoyed the back and forth posts

Is the date for this thread off, I don’t see any precip on 31’st and none prior to 5pm Jan 1 And most is Saturday early am Jan 2...and by the time precip reaches here the Euro has the high pressure  gone (East of Maine ) with return South flow and we are talking about ice ...in SNE

this could still trend to a terd 

And honestly ... as a more formal update to the progress of all this...

It's changed since this thread started - very glad I left matters at 50% confidence/coverage for southern areas ... I'm not certain at this point either way, if the GFS isn't just attempting to move toward the Euro with the timing/placement of crucial +PP up N and moving E of Maine

...without that, we are sunk for substantive impact...

And this will transition rather quickly in that correction. Getting into a ice/mix S and mix snow N was always predicated on that key factor, ...so of course, we then summarily fiddling with f'ing that part of it right up good and proper -par for the course.  But we'll see... My experience tho is that once these polar highs start accelerating in the guidance they don't tend to move back west in future cycles ...

The entire morphology aloft is differentiating toward something different too... The southern aspect has not gone so far west it is hard to figure what kind of cyclonic model it really fits into. It's almost nothing - or unique... It's merging over SD with something of new Pac arrival ( this fast flow is absolutely killing our winter ... miracle we had that snow storm a couple weeks back)... and if that continues to go that direction ...we could conceivable wash out the cyclone from the charts end up with a fropa while the Rockies build the cap depths. ... I don't think so but there are other visualization certainly plausible... 

Like to see the GFS back off the west track with S/stream... and see the Euro slow the exit of the lead polar wedging...

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s kind of a multi-pieced storm up here. There is a front piece before the main show as well. 

Agreed, that front side should favor your part of NNE and backside upslope probably more likely to be productive over this way.  Locally, I’m always hesitant with a warm tongue aloft that it will be more mix and less snow than models show.  Or it could be like some of them that show just straight ZR to RN on the front end.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Agreed, that front side should favor your part of NNE and backside upslope probably more likely to be productive over this way.  Locally, I’m always hesitant with a warm tongue aloft that it will be more mix and less snow than models show.  Or it could be like some of them that show just straight ZR to RN on the front end.

Also, you never like to rely on two parts storms delivering modeled totals because one part almost always disappoints. The upslope component should be more reliable than anything synoptic for your area. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Also, you never like to rely on two parts storms delivering modeled totals because one part almost always disappoints. The upslope component should be more reliable than anything synoptic for your area. 

The weenie rule in the MA at least is you can rely on WAA early snows, not backside CCB snows. Those often disappoint. We will see if that holds true up here. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The weenie rule in the MA at least is you can rely on WAA early snows, not backside CCB snows. Those often disappoint. We will see if that holds true up here. 

CCBs tend to work out much better up here because they are usually a N or NW wind, which gives us a nice orographic enhancement. I’ve seen plenty of storm where the CCB/upslope gave us most of the QPF (usually large storms where the first half down slopes/disappoints and then when everyone else is game over the fun begins for us)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is 100% true in every single event, ha.  Synoptic storms have so many more variables than just "wind flow, moisture, mountains". 

13 minutes ago, alex said:

CCBs tend to work out much better up here because they are usually a N or NW wind, which gives us a nice orographic enhancement. I’ve seen plenty of storm where the CCB/upslope gave us most of the QPF (usually large storms where the first half down slopes/disappoints and then when everyone else is game over the fun begins for us)

Yeah your area does really well in CCB's... same with the Green Mountain Spine (J.Spin and ski resorts) and western slopes.  When you can get that solid mid-level lift to overlay with strong NW orographic flow there's like a seeder-feeder mechanism on crack.  It can wring out some big QPF.  Anytime you can get upslope flow going on underneath strong synoptic lift it's going to be a good time, ha.

• Like 1