• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

Saw the comments on GFSV16.  I'm the outlier and you may be correct but I see it lagging on big events except on two occasions the past 6 weeks. I'll monitor temps etc the next 3 days vs GFS.  

On GEFS 2-3" snow still on the 18z/28 run,  you probably already knew (old news?)... but from my perspective, that's probably the GEFS trying to treat sleet as 10 to 1 snow ratio. Therefore the GEFS implication that a bunch of sleet is coming Jan 1 to I84.  I won't say what will be right, but noticed the 18z EC op has 27F in PHL 12z Friday..not precipitating yet. That's 7F colder than the 12z/28 GFS MOS.   So, i know cold air can erode, especially since 850 flow is southwest, not aiding CAD, but yet, the max 850 jet cores are split... one to the Adirondacks and the other s of LI...leaving not quite so much scouring potential into I84.  If models warm from here on out, then I'm wrong.

However, if RGEM is not furnace and starts showing 9-12 hours sleet/freezing rain into parts of the I84 corridor, I won't be surprised. GGEM should start tipping us off soon, one way or the other. 

One other note: I saw the note on Jan 3 being included in a topic.  On our NYC forum I did that so we can keep all the discussion of multiple coming events in one place.  They know that this original topic was 1 day either side of 12/29 and 1/1, as originated 1/21. 

I'm letting the models vacillate for another 24 hours. By Wednesday morning it should be more defined whether there is a significant I84 ice event. 

Added the 00z/21 NAEFS averaged trough for 00z/2. 

Have to go...probably won't see the forum til 6A Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.37.44 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Electrician says my genny hasn’t been used since 2017. I live on the side of a mountain in NNE and my power lines drag near the ground when it snows. When will I see some real New England weather? This shit is weak!

Come down to Plymouth County. You’ll use it once a month. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Electrician says my genny hasn’t been used since 2017. I live on the side of a mountain in NNE and my power lines drag near the ground when it snows. When will I see some real New England weather? This shit is weak!

When you move back to MD, We will be back to normalcy up here.

Cold air always wins when tuck jets are draining off a latitude top heavy PP ... don’t forget that and modulate with that in mind. 
 00z GFS hesitates +PP departure around 84-96 hrs. Hard to say if that’s just modeling noise but this is a very sensitive situation and moving that high backward relative to the modeling progression even a little bit can have significant sensible impacts when we’re dealing with whether it’s a 35° cold rain or 31.4 glazing in the Interior Southern New England. In short .. new run does little to increase confidence in quicker warming onset 

Also it is true that the ballast of this event appears to be NYD presently but staying the title in the off chance the lead boundary situates and thus initiate modest isen. lift sooner. 

• Like 1