• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    acibarich
    Newest Member
    acibarich

Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Yeah clearly something wrong with RFD. I think we're going to have the electronics technicians go up there to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can you have them set one up in Woodstock?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your good local reports Hoosier.  As I look west out of my apartment window here in Griffith I concur with your observations.  Am hoping that we luck out up here and not have concerns with wind and power outages like southern parts of the area are now reporting.  Never had an accident in snow but have had one due to freezing rain a couple years ago down in Indpls.    I see many reports of quarter to .3 inch of ice across central IL.

No precip at here whatsoever.  The edge of the snow shield stopped just SE of Cedar Rapids.  Not complaining since we got over 8 inches on Tuesday.

In other news, no substantial power outages in Iowa even though the ZR got pretty far north (up to Johnson county).

16 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Thanks for all your good local reports Hoosier.  As I look west out of my apartment window here in Griffith I concur with your observations.  Am hoping that we luck out up here and not have concerns with wind and power outages like southern parts of the area are now reporting.  Never had an accident in snow but have had one due to freezing rain a couple years ago down in Indpls.    I see many reports of quarter to .3 inch of ice across central IL.

Over 10k outages now in that swath south of us.  Fairly respectable number considering it's mostly a bunch of small towns or rural areas.

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

The hangovers I'm capable of these days are otherworldly 

Yep. Just lifting my head high enough to look outside occasionally. 

Lots of melting, waiting on precip to restart

• Like 2

Still holding at freezing here.  I would've bet money on temps going above 32 by now, given multi-model progs and concern about just enough of a marine influence to help nudge temps higher.  Could still poke above freezing in the coming hours but there won't be any diurnal help to do it rather soon.  

• Like 1

Surprised to wake up to 0.9” of snow and sleet outside. Light freezing rain now. Heard pingers and went back to sleep, sad. Apparently it flipped to heavy snow. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still holding at freezing here.  I would've bet money on temps going above 32 by now, given multi-model progs and concern about just enough of a marine influence to help nudge temps higher.  Could still poke above freezing in the coming hours but there won't be any diurnal help to do it rather soon.  

Agreed.

What was melting off my truck earlier is now frozen. Such a tricky call on this system. Back down to 31° here. 

Finally made it to 32˚ here at my house, a couple of hours ago...and been that way since. No melting. Of course, just read LOT's AFD and they said all the ice melted south of I-80. :arrowhead:

Just took this shot of the gf's car. Totally encased. :lol:

IMG_0185.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Finally made it to 32˚ here at my house, a couple of hours ago...and been that way since. No melting. Of course, just read LOT's AFD and they said all the ice melted south of I-80. :arrowhead:

Just took this shot of the gf's car. Totally encased. :lol:

IMG_0185.jpg

Read that too.  Definitely not even close to melting.   

Just took this pic. 

956962DE-ECE0-45D4-B2A1-4B843140C4E8.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, vortex said:

Read that too.  Definitely not even close to melting.   

Just took this pic. 

956962DE-ECE0-45D4-B2A1-4B843140C4E8.jpeg

Nice pic. Was just out in the back listening to the trees crack in the wind. Not comforting. :lol:

Car facing me was clean when it was parked there. Two forward-parked cars to the left have not been cleaned off since Tuesday night's snowfall.81f7580c8dddc1ff0e36ddebdd134d64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Nice pic. Was just out in the back listening to the trees crack in the wind. Not comforting. :lol:

Our old "friend" the LAF ASOS is reporting freezing rain at 35/34.  That's a pretty good trick.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Our old "friend" the LAF ASOS is reporting freezing rain at 35/34.  That's a pretty good trick.  

Lol, I saw that. I’m sure Chad’s all over it...

2 to 3 tenths of an inch of ice common around the area...nothing major or extreme

a few tree limbs down here and there

we prob lost a some icing with sleet at the start

untreated areas of course very slick 

warmed up and scrapped my car around 10am  just came back in... no new icing on the windows

The infamous thin tongue warming

Macomb which is WSW is 32

Bloomington which is ESE is 32

PEORIA         LGT RAIN  33

• Like 1

Relatively quick hitting inch or two looks good around here.  Even if temps go a little above freezing, don't think it will matter that much as it will be snowing onto an icy/slushy layer.

• Like 1

Here in Dekalb trees are not looking good with the ~.2” of ice leftover from Tuesday and whatever freezing rain we had today too. The 1-3” of wet snow this evening could bring some down for sure