Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

3K seemed so close to something good for my location. Rain/sleet gets to me for several hours but almost held off. Adjustments needed don't seem that great.

You know we will flip for a bit. Hopefully only for a short time before we flip back for some deform love. It’s going to be fun just watching that line teeter totter around. Your new move spot should help you a touch. 

7 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

We all need to write Uccellini and get them to speed up the replacement of the NAM.... let’s see, it overstates QPF,  it’s too warm, it”s too cold and clueless outside 2 hours.  We should not pay the bill for the electricity to run this model!!!  But you got to love the 50 inches!!!

Do you actually have a clue what you are even saying? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

We all need to write Uccellini and get them to speed up the replacement of the NAM.... let’s see, it overstates QPF,  it’s too warm, it”s too cold and clueless outside 2 hours.  We should not pay the bill for the electricity to run this model!!!  But you got to love the 50 inches!!!

Come on man. There is no better entertainment on earth than a NAM rum 36 hours before a storm. Worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

0Z RGEM out to 48 hours on this site: https://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html (be sure to select 0Z 12/15 run)

Seems to be colder with a bigger thump in front (4-5 hrs of snow for DC proper), IAD looks to barely stay all frozen through 0Z (based on sfc low position, that should be the max extent of mixing). Should be interesting when full run is in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes. I hope the western crew gets the three feet the NAM is spitting out. I would sell hard on those totals, but maybe it'll work out. Either way, that crew will do better than the Beltway crew for sure. 

Just beware the last minute east tics while spiking the football...

I think we’ll see a slight east tick or two tomorrow/game time.  I’m hoping for 1” QPF which every model gives me (with breathing room assuming there’s tics).  No one is getting 3’ from this but I wouldn’t be surprised for a very localized report of 20” especially somewhere close to the mixing line in N central MD.

Before the gfs runs I’m hoping for some help. This storm as modeled, less in the euro but even there, seems to have a precip field they just unwinds as it strengthens. There’s no consolidation or wrap up. It just spreads out ahead of the low as it goes up the coast. There seems to be no wrapping of the precip. Just seems odd. I’m sure the models aren’t wrong but I just don’t understand it.

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Yes.  The NAM should be replaced before 2024.

Perhaps you should take an introductory course in NWP so that you can actually learn how to interpret a model. Or perhaps read up on some of the material discussed earlier on how to use the NAM at this range. You don’t look at the exact amounts, you watch the trends and the evolution and what the run to run differences/similarities are. Rarely does anyone take one model 100% for qpf, it’s always a blend. Most important information is how the model is handling the moving pieces that will become the weather event. These higher “snowfall” amounts you are seeing do not take into account sleet/ice which can jack up the amounts. What I take from the run is the penetration of the warm air...good front end thump then more expansive mixing and rain then this AM. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic