Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, CoastalWx said:

That’s a crusher from PHilly to NYC verbatim. It did make steps to improve I thought, but yeah...s/w shredder as it moves overhead on the gfs. Hopefully it’s wrong.

My biggest concern with the GFS is just how everything falls apart as it comes NE. Probably too much but I think a Euro/GFS blend makes sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Storm really falls apart on the GFS once it gets into SNE. That s/w goes into the shredder.

Yeah GFS has been trying to speed up the rate of decay of the short wave… I’m sure you know this but most models see it as  completely absorbed into the flow and losing identity all together by 48 hours leaving New England ... it’s just the GFS wants to do it right away with instant gratification-LOL

See… the GFS has a speed bias. It’s subtle but real. But a model that carries on with that sort of tendency would see this kind of shredding scenario at least excuse to do so - put it this way ...it’s like it “enables” its bias?

I think so and I think that’s why it’s almost unable to slow that down. But we’re seeing as we’re getting closer now 60 hours out a subtle improvement; I think we’re going to see that more so going forward clicks towards the euro.  I don’t know if it’s gonna go all the way to the NAM or anything like that crazy but -

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

You can see why the GFS sh*ts the bed with the storm in SNE. 700mb low and warm conveyorbelt just falls apart. Not sure it's right but definitely a caution flag IMO. 

Contrast that with the Euro that actually develops a 700 mb low and gets those 50 knot WCB winds into SNE.

6 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I think they were saying that as a reason that confidence is low. I think they changed it last year.

They also got rid of Blizzard Watches :(

Yes and no.

The straight blizzard watch no longer exists, but we are able to insert code into a winter storm watch

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cw4t6lnvoak0sl9lmr

that will trigger the wording to say blizzard conditions possible.