Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m trying to remember the days after the 2011 storm. I don’t recall it being very cold.  My kids were sledding with leaves on the trees. 

CON kept the pack for almost a week which is insane. They had upper 10s and low 20s at night...40s and 50s during the day. Maybe not as cold as last night, but fairly similar otherwise. 
It’ll be interesting if the interior can keep some pack today with the lower wetbulbs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

CON kept the pack for almost a week which is insane. They had upper 10s and low 20s at night...40s and 50s during the day. Maybe not as cold as last night, but fairly similar otherwise. 
It’ll be interesting if the interior can keep some pack today with the lower wetbulbs. 

We still had snow OTG the following week. Our town postponed trick or treating for a week due to the high snow banks etc   When we took our kids around there was still a decent amount of snow

36 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We still had snow OTG the following week. Our town postponed trick or treating for a week due to the high snow banks etc   When we took our kids around there was still a decent amount of snow

Yeah the pack took forever to melt. It was a solid week at least but the temps never got this cold afterward. It was just mostly 40s and 50s and because there was literally 15-20” OTG and no warm rainstorms, it took a while. 

Anyways, looks like the 00z NAM was on crack. Other guidance more tame. Still gotta watch for snow shower Tuesday morning though. . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

If BOS could tickle down 2° more to 27° it would be their coldest Ictober temp since 1936 and I assume that was at the old site more inland too?

The 1936 reading was at Logan airport according to the threaded record location details. Seems like Logan became official site of obs on January 1st, 1936. 

Hard to believe it actually got to 25F in the harbor there but I guess it’s correct.

Their 28F reading this morning is tied for the 2nd coldest reading at Logan in October though. Ties 1976 and 1940. 

• Weenie 1

Random shit ...

I was musing this morning about 1995 ... That was a phenomenal entrance into winter that year, the likes of which I have not experienced since.  There have been fast starts since... but none enduring. 1995 was like a winter wall creeping S - once your region succeeded that invisible boundary ... you didn't go back.  Latitude Rt 2, .. ~ 9th of November.. We did not see bare ground until late January. I wonder if this year will compete ... I won't even score this year badly if we do in fact see a 70 late next week, particularly if by the 10th we are seeing -EPO ( quasi therein) and +PNAP structured flow, and subsequent rolling into another deeper winter expression again - . 

Last night ... as I was driving around town after dark ( in the late afternoon at this time of year ...), the streets were steaming. Some enough that the steam was pooling into ground fog under the clearing sky, calm wind decoupling that was already underway.  The region was swept over by a jolt cooling event - yesterday's system was a distant weaker example of a Woolly Mammoth legendary frozen-instantly, while still working cud in craw. As the theory has it ... from some kind of sudden cold climatic shock that zapped at hemispheric scales across Siberia and N Canada.. Not sure if that is true, but..., that observation of steaming really is an homage to us having just witnessed something pretty rare, nonetheless.  It's okay to steam streets - but not when it is because of 4-6" of snow prior to Halloween -

This morning there is a combination of cold air - related still leaf fall taking place along with dislodging clumps of snow that sparkle in the steeply sloped morning sun... I'm not sure I have ever seen that concurrent effect before.  Usually it's leaf, then snow... several weeks later.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

22" in October is insane, and even that early in the season that much snow doesn't go away in a day or two.   We had much less (4.5", with 8" in Farmington) and temps 35-40 on the next couple days after. One of those days I was in the Rangeley area helping our forest inventory contractor check on the accuracy of his crews.  It was like a day-long icewater shower in the woods, and my job at each cruise point was to find a spot with little/no snow-dripping branches overhead so I could record the measurements on a dry (sort of) page. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

RGEM, GFS, and GGEM all show a nice snowfall here. Kind of a convoluted setup now with a low bombing out off the coast of Maine. Some of the runs really toss back some moisture from that. NAM seems to miss with that but drives in some upslope snow the entire time for more modest totals. 

Methinks you’re in for a treat up there, especially when comparing it to crappy MD winters.