Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

4 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Lots of room to ski for our VT skiing homies.  You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of COVID.

I would anticipate reduction in skiers will mean reduction in things like snowmaking and grooming, fewer lifts running etc...   More space but some downsides

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Buds are beginning to swell.

seriously though ... is this possible - 

in 2011 ... my forsythias took off around 2nd week of November ...and I can't recall if flowers popped but those, and other shrubbery types too, did swell and split and half mutilated young leafs sort of half committed - the sun was week so I don't know what the bio-molecular response is between temperature vs sun angle/irradiance triggering... 

Anyway, it was sort of 'meme' ed as a second green up back then and others noted this around the landscape... after the early cold and snows of Halloween .... 

That I think was a more profoundly cold span of time ... 

This deal the other day ... seems it was like that day ...then this CAA windy jive that's already pulling out...  

Tomorrow still has the look of an impressive diurnal but I don't know how much decoupling tonight.  Pretty striking warm frontal translation on the charts during the morning afternoon tomorrow so...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would anticipate reduction in skiers will mean reduction in things like snowmaking and grooming, fewer lifts running etc...   More space but some downsides

It might work out OK for the locals up there who are just skiing and riding, but the outlook for the employees and economic community that relies on out-of-state visitors may not like it so much. And it isn’t like there aren’t other options for mountains. NH is right next door. 

Skiing seems like a low-risk activity to me. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It might work out OK for the locals up there who are just skiing and riding, but the outlook for the employees and economic community that relies on out-of-state visitors may not like it so much. And it isn’t like there aren’t other options for mountains. NH is right next door. 

Skiing seems like a low-risk activity to me. 

Skiing itself certainly seems low risk.  Lodges/resort bars/locker rooms/bathrooms are an issue.  

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

VT should just come out and say “if you are not from here stay away.” They have Coos County NH in the red too. That’s just silly. 

It’s hard to expect people to roll the dice and go anyway because you never know when they will suddenly begin enforcing these rules. 

Hasn’t stopped anyone yet.  It’s the same thing all those fall foliage tourists signed when they checked into hotels all summer.  I heard the state did >80% normal summer/fall tourism with all the “restrictions” so we’ll see what winter brings.  There’s really nothing “new.”

Getting crazy though.  Mass has COVID curfews (better be home by 10pm), NY requires a test travelers, gonna shut ‘er down again.  The restrictions are coming back it seems.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It looks like it’s about a 7-8 period in a row of 72-80 or 81, depending on location . Shorts everyday into mid November before it gets cold Tgiving week forcing everyone inside where they should be at that time of year. 

I’m looking forward to shorts again to be honest lol.  60F will feel like summer again.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just wait till people see the photos of lift lines this winter... they’ll want no part of that.  That place that opened in Quebec was only local pass holders and the liftline was 30-40 minutes for a 3-min ride.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hasn’t stopped anyone yet.  It’s the same thing all those fall foliage tourists signed when they checked into hotels all summer.  I heard the state did >80% normal summer/fall tourism with all the “restrictions” so we’ll see what winter brings.  There’s really nothing “new.”

Getting crazy though.  Mass has COVID curfews (better be home by 10pm), NY requires a test travelers, gonna shut ‘er down again.  The restrictions are coming back it seems.

I don't think they were actively requiring day trip leaf peepers to sign waivers and hand over a bunch of contact information, though. Yes, people can simply ignore these state guidelines, but they seem more black and white and direct than we have seen so far. The proof will be in the numbers, though, as you say.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just wait till people see the photos of lift lines this winter... they’ll want no part of that.  That place that opened in Quebec was only local pass holders and the liftline was 30-40 minutes for a 3-min ride.

Why would they be longer than normal?    I guess they won't be filling the seats unless it is a family group...

44 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We have the rest of the month and if Ray is right that the pig shows up in Jan-Feb, we have a good chunk of mid winter to do it as well. 

I finished today. Just going to take until the weekend with the snowfall forecast....no sense burying it on election week.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Why would they be longer than normal?    I guess they won't be filling the seats unless it is a family group...

Bingo.  You ride a lift with who you show up with.  Lift capacity will likely be 50% of normal, just like what led to mile long lines at summer gondola operations.  So here’s the thing, the resorts are not set up to operate at 100% this season.  Like this summer they were set up to accommodate like 60% of normal visitors but 80-100% came and it was a poor experience.  The places were overrun, long lines, traffic, etc.

Its the same this winter, they are planning for reduced visitors so if the full boat of visitors show up it’s going to be like getting caught with your pants down.  Lift lines have been massive everywhere that’s started skiing or even tried it last summer.  The resorts in the Alps opened for two days before the optics of massive lines were so bad the gov’t forced them to close.

I still think the resorts are being set up to handle only limited amounts of skiers and the fear is still that *too many* show up and they aren’t prepared to manage that crowd.