Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

54 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think they were actively requiring day trip leaf peepers to sign waivers and hand over a bunch of contact information, though. Yes, people can simply ignore these state guidelines, but they seem more black and white and direct than we have seen so far. The proof will be in the numbers, though, as you say.

Yeah we’ll see.  I still think you’re more likely to see photos of huge lines and crowds waiting to get on lifts, waiting to enter a lodge to use the rest room, waiting to enter the rental shops, retail outlets, etc.... vs seeing tumbleweeds rolling through ski area bases with no visitors.  Our concern is the lines and the optics that creates as they go viral and lead to this “it’s unsafe, too many people!” type attitude.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

But aren’t they limiting passes and tickets?  

it works at Disney.  Long spaced out lines but they move fast

Yeah we’ll see how it shakes out, they are doing a reservation system here which makes the contact info easy...and just an additional check box for did you follow state guidelines.  Done.  Here’s your ticket.  Folks are more likely to check yes too when they aren’t standing in front of a human, check the box on your phone when you purchase your ticket.

I dunno, I guess my general feeling is it’ll be more of the same from summer and fall.  But who knows.  I just know that I’m understaffing vs a normal year so if the crowds come it may not be a fun winter in that sense.

Bingo.  You ride a lift with who you show up with.  Lift capacity will likely be 50% of normal, just like what led to mile long lines at summer gondola operations.  So here’s the thing, the resorts are not set up to operate at 100% this season.  Like this summer they were set up to accommodate like 60% of normal visitors but 80-100% came and it was a poor experience.  The places were overrun, long lines, traffic, etc.
Its the same this winter, they are planning for reduced visitors so if the full boat of visitors show up it’s going to be like getting caught with your pants down.  Lift lines have been massive everywhere that’s started skiing or even tried it last summer.  The resorts in the Alps opened for two days before the optics of massive lines were so bad the gov’t forced them to close.
I still think the resorts are being set up to handle only limited amounts of skiers and the fear is still that *too many* show up and they aren’t prepared to manage that crowd.  
Wait till people have to wait in line to get into the lodge for lunch. Eat outside unless it's too cold
  • Like 2

19F at 8pm.  It’s warming up in the coming days, but this has been some wintry period.

Teens for lows and multiple days of at least flakes in the air for most folks, and a decent chunk of the forum has seen a measurable snowfall at that (record breaking to the coast at BOS)... this was a solid prelude to winter over the last week for the region.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

19F at 8pm.  It’s warming up but this has been some wintry period.

Teens for lows and multiple days of at least flakes in the air for most folks, and a decent chunk of the forum has seen a measurable snowfall at that (record breaking to the coast at BOS)... this was a solid prelude to winter over the last week or for the region.

I was thinking that. A large part of the region has seen accumulating snow so far. They’ll be winners and losers like in every winter, but it’s nice when most of the region gets in on the action. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was thinking that. A large part of the region has seen accumulating snow so far. They’ll be winners and losers like in every winter, but it’s nice when most of the region gets in on the action. 

Mother Nature rolling a coastal system for SNE, then a clipper for NNE.... not a bad start.

54 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s a glorious morning for many, many reasons!

28.7 currently. Now we furnace 

Not sure what's going to happen December-Februaury ( March to ), but if we're to have a furnace I'd rather have it this month. I know we're not expecting a blockbuster winter in the Northeast oh, but it is expected to be better than last year. I do expect some surprises. Looking forward to what comes in the upcoming months

3 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Which party winning leads to a colder and snowy winter?

May not matter much, at least if one looks at the Farmington co-op.  For all election years 1896 on, snow seasons averaged 96% of average, 99% for Republican victories.   For just those in which I was old enough to vote (started with Nixon-Humphrey) it's 115%, 114% for R wins.  The most recent 7 presidential election years have been great, all AN and 125% of average, 136% for R wins.

(Meaning?  Nothing.)