• Member Statistics

    16,254
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Enera
    Newest Member
    Enera
    Joined
Chicago Storm

August 10 Severe Weather

Recommended Posts

Just now, A-L-E-K said:

the way that WAA wing came together :scooter:

The conditions in eastern Iowa in front of this thing are about as good as it gets. The WAA wing was ready to party. :drunk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happens every now and again, but I'm always impressed when the outflow/gust front prompts warnings ahead of it. People nit reading it probably confused at lack of a storm approaching yet under a warning.

 

20200810_120421.thumb.jpg.21755fe128105070af48bf7b3a98356b.jpg

 

Screenshot_20200810-120211_RadarScope.thumb.jpg.77504c842dd36deb70874fa0eeea1047.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA  
1204 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020  
  
IAC099-123-125-127-157-171-101730-  
/O.CON.KDMX.SV.W.0151.000000T0000Z-200810T1730Z/  
POWESHIEK IA-MARSHALL IA-MARION IA-TAMA IA-MAHASKA IA-JASPER IA-  
1204 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020  
  
...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1230 PM CDT  
FOR POWESHIEK...EASTERN MARSHALL...NORTHEASTERN MARION...TAMA...  
MAHASKA AND EASTERN JASPER COUNTIES...  
  
AT 1203 PM CDT, SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE  
EXTENDING FROM NEAR TRAER TO NEAR VICTOR TO 6 MILES WEST OF DELTA,  
MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.  
  
THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.  
  
HAZARD...90 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.  SOME AREAS MAY   
         HAVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 100 MPH! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Baum said:
NWS Des Moines
 
@NWSDesMoines
· 1m
11:50 AM CDT... 99 mph wind gust reported at Marshalltown Airport! #iawx

It looks like that gust was part of a mesovortex that formed a little north of town. Probably locally enhanced the wind, but looks like it has also set off a new descending RIJ that is now bowing the line out in the area between I-80 and Highway 30.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janetjanet998 said:

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA  
1204 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020  
  
IAC099-123-125-127-157-171-101730-  
/O.CON.KDMX.SV.W.0151.000000T0000Z-200810T1730Z/  
POWESHIEK IA-MARSHALL IA-MARION IA-TAMA IA-MAHASKA IA-JASPER IA-  
1204 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020  
  
...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1230 PM CDT  
FOR POWESHIEK...EASTERN MARSHALL...NORTHEASTERN MARION...TAMA...  
MAHASKA AND EASTERN JASPER COUNTIES...  
  
AT 1203 PM CDT, SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE  
EXTENDING FROM NEAR TRAER TO NEAR VICTOR TO 6 MILES WEST OF DELTA,  
MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.  
  
THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.  
  
HAZARD...90 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.  SOME AREAS MAY   
         HAVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 100 MPH! 

I remember the old school high end severe thunderstorm warnings where they would mention "siren activation is suggested" in times like this.  Don't know if any offices still do that, but this is the perfect type of situation for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I remember the old school high end severe thunderstorm warnings where they would mention "siren activation is suggested" in times like this.  Don't know if any offices still do that, but this is the perfect type of situation for it.

And "hurricane force".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems as if Tama county has had the worst winds so far, EM reporting up to 100mph gusts there. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

I remember the old school high end severe thunderstorm warnings where they would mention "siren activation is suggested" in times like this.  Don't know if any offices still do that, but this is the perfect type of situation for it.

At least for DMX's CWA most of the larger cities (DSM/Ames) have siren activation for any warning with 70+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I remember the old school high end severe thunderstorm warnings where they would mention "siren activation is suggested" in times like this.  Don't know if any offices still do that, but this is the perfect type of situation for it.

Unless policy has changed the QCA has siren activation at 70+ and many surrounding towns had begun to adopt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
1208 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1152 AM     TSTM WND GST     2 WNW LE GRAND          42.02N 92.81W
08/10/2020  M106 MPH         MARSHALL           IA   MESONET

            PERSONAL WEATHER STATION KIAMARSH15.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The corn damage from this is going to be incredible. This could be an insanely costly storm for the upper Midwest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1151 AM TSTM WND DMG 2 S MARSHALLTOWN

42.01N 92.91W   08/10/2020 MARSHALL IA STORM CHASER    

SEVERAL LARGE SECTIONS OF ROOFS BLOWN OFF   BUILDINGS ALONG OLD HIGHWAY 30 ON SOUTH PART   OF MARSHALLTOWN.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1225 PM     TSTM WND GST     BLAIRSTOWN              41.91N 92.08W  
08/10/2020  E90 MPH          BENTON             IA   EMERGENCY MNGR     
  
            WINDS IN EXCESS OF 90 MPH WITH MAJOR DAMAGE   
            REPORTED IN TOWN.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick mesoanalysis check: MUCAPE ballooning over 5000j/kg in IL with big time mid-level lapse rates, topping out at 8.5C/km in the area of Chicago metro. Maybe one of the best MCS environments we have been presented with all year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

1225 PM     TSTM WND GST     BLAIRSTOWN              41.91N 92.08W  
08/10/2020  E90 MPH          BENTON             IA   EMERGENCY MNGR     
  
            WINDS IN EXCESS OF 90 MPH WITH MAJOR DAMAGE   
            REPORTED IN TOWN.   

They are one of the best counties at reporting storm damage too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another MCS is forming to the north of the main one.  There maybe a merger in N central IL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best stations for live coverage once this thing gets into IL? Watching KGAN from Cedar Rapids now. Got crazy intense there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1258 PM TSTM WND DMG 4 ENE SHELLSBURG

42.12N 91.81W   08/10/2020 LINN IA EMERGENCY MNGR    

ESTIMATED GUSTS OVER 100 MPH WITH MULTIPLE   CAMPERS BLOWN OVER, ALONG WITH THE SHELTER   ROOF AT THE PARK BLOWN OFF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local Storm Report by NWS DVN: 4 ENE Shellsburg [Linn Co, IA] emergency mngr reports TSTM WND DMG  at 12:58 PM CDT -- estimated gusts over 100 mph with multiple campers blown over, along with the shelter roof at the park blown off.

 

:yikes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.