Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

• wxeyeNH changed the title to Hurricane Isaias
18 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

This sucks. I'm supposed to have a guy take down some trees in my yard that I've been waiting all summer for and now he's probably going to be busy with this sht.

Plus, my damn tomatoes.

Well I'll PRAY you RETHINK that and decline the idea.  Especially if they're older and big.  I'll never understand the cutting of trees.  

Back to the Hurricane.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Well I'll PRAY you RETHINK that and decline the idea.  Especially if they're older and big.  I'll never understand the cutting of trees.  

Back to the Hurricane.  

I will let you know if your prayers work.

First Call Late Friday/early Saturday:

Precise Track of Isaias Crucial to Intensity Forecast

Current Status: 

Per the 8/1 2am update from the National Hurricane Center, the ill defined eye of Hurricane Isaias was located about 90mi SSE of Nassau in the Bahama islands and is continuing to decelerate towards the NW at 15mph with max sustained winds of 85mph. 
Rad.jpg

Obviously the system is headed towards Miami at the moment, and anyone who has not either recently awakened from a coma, or had their head buried in the sand knows that a hurricane is the last thing that the covid stricken state of Florida needs right now. Alas, ask mother nature if she cares. The answer to that rhetorical question is obvious, but real million dollar is question is whether or not Isaias will actually get to Florida. While the general track is very high confidence at this juncture, the precise path is more uncertain and of course, of utmost importance. It often works out that way in meteorology, as its the most difficult to forecast, subtle nuances that end up making all of the difference, and the future track of Isaias is no different.
The devil in in the details-

Isaias Forecast Track:

What we know is that the hurricane is going to turn more towards the north as it approaches the coast, which is a direct result of the energy associated with the system being channeled up the coast between an anomalously deep trough to the west, and a potent west atlantic ridge to the east.
7AM Monday:

H5.png

What we are less confident of is whether or not the system actually makes landfall on the Florida peninsula.  This is a very challenging forecast given the timing of the anticipated turn and the concave nature of the coast, which is a dilemma also faced by forecasters with respect to Hurricane Dorian last season. Obviously the stakes are not quite as high because this is not nearly as a powerful of a system, but they are plenty high enough.
Here is some of the latest guidance and the trend from our first update approximately 48 hours ago.

Wednesday Night guidance (Left) and Friday Night (Right)
guidance.png

Clearly, as one would expect, the cone of uncertainty with respect to the various forecasting models has decreased. What is has become clear since Wednesday night is that a path out to sea with no direct impact to the US is very unlikely. Since the odds of Isaias moving over much of Florida, or even making landfall on Florida, have also decreased, a stronger landfall is now more likely to the north. Eastern Mass Weather opined on Wednesday night that landfall in Florida was unlikely, and that the most probable area for landfall would be in North Carolina and our position on that has not changed, nor is it likely to.
The European (Right) and British (Left) ensemble suites from Friday corroborate this trend.

UK.png

In summary,  both the severity of the impact on the already reeling state of Florida, and the intensity of Isaias as it moves up the coast will be heavily modulated by how much it interacts with the state of Florida. If it moves bodily up the state of Florida, which is increasingly unlikely, impacts up the coast will be greatly reduced due to toll that the increased land interaction will have on the system. If it brushes the coast, or remains offshore of Florida, as forecast by Eastern Mass Weather, it will be a stronger system as it approaches the Carolinas, or even perhaps long island. How strong is another challenging question.

Isaias Intensity Forecast:

Isaias has largely maintained its intensity over the course of the past 24 hours, although fluctuation have been  noted, as is usually the case. There is plenty of energy available in the waters around the Bahama islands, in fact, probably even more so than Hurricane Dorian encountered last season.  However, we are not observing the explosive intensification that we did with regard to Dorian because the system continues to encounter some wind shear. This is illustrated in the graphic below:

Shear.png

The shear is also evident in the current satellite imagery, as outflow is clear somewhat restricted the western semicircle of the storm.

Isaias.png

Note also in the previous image above the that shear will increase near the Florida coast during the day on Saturday through Sunday, when some weakening of Isaias is likely and it could even be downgraded to a tropical storm at some point. However, the system is likely to encounter a lull in wind shear during the day on Monday, as Hurricane Isaias crosses the very warm waters of the gulf stream and approaches North Carolina.

THCP.png

This means that Hurricane Isaias could perhaps be approaching category two intensity when it makes landfall in North Carolina, after weakening and brushing the Florida coast in the vicinity of West Palm Beach or Port St. Lucie.
Final Call will be issued Saturday night.

First Call:
Isaias%2BFirst%2BCall.png

Cape Fear, NC is our First Call target.
  • Like 3