Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ryan’s  forecast looks nothing Like you just outlined...but that’s par for the course, you’re in your own extreme weather world lol. Hope it verifies the way you hope?

Yes it does. He’s got tor threat early AM. Strong winds 4-10 pm with tors possible in between . Not sure what you mean 

• Haha 1

Kev, He said tornado threat on the first outer bands from the storm. He also said an hour or two at most for the big winds. And he didn’t say anything about a sting jet providing another round of strong winds.  You twist and contort his words to your liking...that’s what you do with every storm. But whatever.  Believe your own ideas of what it is!? 

KeviShader

@KeviShader
· 11m
A buoy in the eye of #Isaias recently reported a pressure of ~991mb with 10m winds of 39kts, which roughly equates to a central pressure of 987mb. While recon should sample the storm in an hour, this gives us a rough idea on how strong the system currently is. #Hurricane
Show this thread

5 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:
KeviShader

@KeviShader
· 11m
A buoy in the eye of #Isaias recently reported a pressure of ~991mb with 10m winds of 39kts, which roughly equates to a central pressure of 987mb. While recon should sample the storm in an hour, this gives us a rough idea on how strong the system currently is. #Hurricane
Show this thread

Buoy down to 989 now w/15kt wind. Also suggests 987 mb right now

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:
KeviShader

@KeviShader
· 11m
Show this thread

What an awful Twitter name lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Let's 10% TOR this tomorrow. Hey Alex, I'll take ENH for $1000

I can't recall too many ENH with tropical systems. I wouldn't be on it, unless the 00z HREF comes in hot. 

It's especially tough because this is essentially tornado driven. Would need a 10% in there.

Funny talking with others about this system. Neighbors when out walking the dog and friends I saw at the grocery store all said some wind and rain tomorrow afternoon according to the news. Hopefully there are lots of surprises given how the last "Tropical Storm" went. 

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I can't recall too many ENH with tropical systems. I wouldn't be on it, unless the 00z HREF comes in hot. 

It's especially tough because this is essentially tornado driven. Would need a 10% in there.

I can only recall a couple times over the past several years where it's happened. I think it actually may have occurred last season? Maybe it was with Michael

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don’t get the obsession with that model. All you NWS guys base forecasts on it. BOX mentions it all the time. It’s just another tool 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Funny talking with others about this system. Neighbors when out walking the dog and friends I saw at the grocery store all said some wind and rain tomorrow afternoon according to the news. Hopefully there are lots of surprises given how the last "Tropical Storm" went. 

Most "Tropical Storms" around here are ET-transitioning systems curving away from Cape Cod which give rain and really no wind to speak of. Even though this will not a strong storm at landfall down south, the track of Isaias combined with the jet enhancement at least make it a bit more interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I'm clearly no met, but I thought we had an enhanced level for that May 15th line but have a ton more CAPE now.  

One lingering thought (worry) I keep having though is why is the NAM so calm when it should be off the wall?

yes but we're talking about with tropical...it's exceedingly rare to get a ENH with a tropical system b/c the main threat is tornadoes and you would need a 10% TOR contour to get ENH and that doesn't happen very often

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t get the obsession with that model. All you NWS guys base forecasts on it. BOX mentions it all the time. It’s just another tool 

Because it’s a good tool that uses not only multiple convection allowing models, but it also has a time lagged feature that uses older runs too. That way you don’t knee jerk to the “newest” solution. The latest solution isn’t always the most accurate. So, you get a nice feel usually to what may happen. It’s not always perfect though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because it’s a good tool that uses not only multiple convection allowing models, but it also has a time lagged feature that uses older runs too. That way you don’t knee jerk to the “newest” solution. The latest solution isn’t always the most accurate. So, you get a nice feel usually to what may happen. It’s not always perfect though.

I know. But I see Box use it as their main tool for forecasts. Every severe event or rain event, they tweet about it and mention it in all AFD’s

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah you should listen to Scoots, the HREF has a very good verification track record. They are finding that having multiple model cores in there may actually improve its results over single core ensembles. 

• Like 1