Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's really been feast or famine with the rain this summer...moreso than usual.

6/28-6/30 (3 days): 3.49"
8/29 (1 day): 1.58"
7/8 (1 day): 0.90"
The remaining days from 5/16-8/30 (102 days): 3.21"

Not quite as stark here.  We've had 11.82" May 17 thru today (average for the period is 15.17", so not terrible) but the 17 days June 28-July 14 had 8.33" and the rest 3.49" - 2.59" over the remaining 88 days w/o Saturday's 0.90.
Another CoC day, low 40s this AM to upper 60s  this afternoon - w/o yesterday's wind, clouds and 60° max.  Last 5 days' highs: 64, 65, 72 (low of 38), 55, 60.  Middle day's high only 1° BN but the other 4 averaged -12.

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Many older homes in the region don’t have the proper R Value. 

Yup. My grandmother's house in RI was built in 1732, needless to say its a bit drafty. Even our home was built in the late 70s and one of the first things I did was stuff insulation and spray all around the foundation. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think their building codes were slightly different back then. 

Some of those old COOP forms from the 1800s had an indoor temp with them. I always cringed when I saw January days with temps in the 40s and 50s inside while it was -20° outside. Glad we live here. 

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Or new windows. Instead of buying $100 of beer every week, Kevin could have gotten new windows. 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No need to get new windows when you have ACs installed Mar thru Novie. 

Or maybe invest in getting central air.  Hands down the best decision we made.  We were luck that we had the entire house ducted when it was built so it made install that much easier.  No more unsightly window units to obstruct your view.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Today is the anniversary of Hurricane Carol 1954. One of the few pure tropical storms to hit us. One thing I never knew until yesterday was that the storm was exceptionally poorly forecast and came as a complete surprise. That morning all forecasts had it going way out to sea.

One of the saddest things as a weather weenie is knowing a "surprise storm" like in the past is now basically impossible.