Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

On 8/25/2020 at 5:57 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Thankfully I think ORH will fall back below 1949 before August finishes for hottest summer...cant let a summer with a weak-ass 4 days over 90F get the crown. 

1949 had 17 I think. Lol. 

Fell below 1949 yesterday by 0.1F and won't rise back above it today with a 52F low and highs in the low 70s.

Whew....that was a close one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why would I need new windows? My low was 56. I doubt any furnaces came on anywhere in the northeast . Why would they have thermostats set for heat? 

During winter you always complain about drafty windows and how your furnace is constantly running. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Fell below 1949 yesterday by 0.1F and won't rise back above it today with a 52F low and highs in the low 70s.

Whew....that was a close one.

There are 25 ASOS with data in the Boston area with data in xmacis.rcc-acis.org, 9 broke their all time hottest summer. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Historic but not memorable.

I loved this summer minus Izzy. Being able to enjoy it definitely helps. I was always about working as much as possible to support my family, as are you, and I respect you immensely for that, but I got to tell you once the pressure was off, I am a new man, feel like a teenager again mentally, just wish I had that body back lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Or new windows. Instead of buying $100 of beer every week, Kevin could have gotten new windows. 

Just bought 8 new Harvey windows and will be installing them in the next few weeks, My certainteed windows have seen there better days with today's window technology, They were drafty as hell.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Or close your windows lol, I have my thermostats off so mine was not going to kick on.

I am not going to lie, put on a flannel shirt at 6am when I was out with the dogs lol, shorts, flip flops and a flannel shirt. Good thing no one can see the weird old man in the hood.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I loved this summer minus Izzy. Being able to enjoy it definitely helps. I was always about working as much as possible to support my family, as are you, and I respect you immensely for that, but I got to tell you once the pressure was off, I am a new man, feel like a teenager again mentally, just wish I had that body back lol.

Which is why I recommend saving early and often to retire as early as possible...to anyone who has that capability. My plan is to retire at 55 but I know it will probably be closer to 60. Setting the bar high. 

Got my vacation in July, which was nice.  I'm lucky in that my jobs are not physically demanding.  They' can be mentally challenging at time, which can be just as taxing.  I don't want to work as much as I do but when people come calling, it's tough to turn away work, especially when a lot of the work repeat clients and referrals.  Hopefully this leads to bigger/better things in the future.  Right now it's focusing on helping our daughter advance her academics as she moves into post-secondary education a year from now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Which is why I recommend saving early and often to retire as early as possible...to anyone who has that capability. My plan is to retire at 55 but I know it will probably be closer to 60. Setting the bar high. 

I was fortunately having way too much fun to think about retiring that early.  It's in the works now, however, for December if Maine PERS can get to my benefits options in time - they have a lot of folks in the queue.  Might look into a private contract to assist with next year's full recertification audit.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, Going from a warm fired boiler to a cold fired one and from 1gal/min to .6 gal/min makes a huge difference.

If your heating your hot water with oil look into heat pump electric water heaters. Maine has pretty cheap electricity compared to the rest of New England and most states here have huge rebates on them. The efficiency on them is absurd. Based on electricity prices there a 50 gallon would cost you less than $10 a month to run. It will also dehumidify your basement and eliminate a dehumidifier. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

If your heating your hot water with oil look into heat pump electric water heaters. Maine has pretty cheap electricity compared to the rest of New England and most states here have huge rebates on them. The efficiency on them is absurd. Based on electricity prices there a 50 gallon would cost you less than $10 a month to run. It will also dehumidify your basement and eliminate a dehumidifier. 

May have to check that out, Actually had to add a dehumidfier down there as now its damp more with the furnace running less and having a 45 gal hot water storage tank.

6 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I heat my hot water with oil but its tankless.  I don't want to have to deal with a tank.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I went all out this year new boiler this spring new windows and new roof this fall.

Nice Jeff. I had a new roof put on in 2011, went to propane in 2014. Slowly upgrading everything as needed. Completely new rooms downstairs,  converted attached 2 car garage to a grooming room for my wife. Large 25 by 20 bedroom finished this year with new floors, ceilings, trim and my wife and her friend who is a lady did the entire job by themselves.  Well I supervised and ordered all the materials. She wanted to do it, her first construction project ever. Came out spectacular. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice Jeff. I had a new roof put on in 2011, went to propane in 2014. Slowly upgrading everything as needed. Completely new rooms downstairs,  converted attached 2 car garage to a grooming room for my wife. Large 25 by 20 bedroom finished this year with new floors, ceilings, trim and my wife and her friend who is a lady did the entire job by themselves.  Well I supervised and ordered all the materials. She wanted to do it, her first construction project ever. Came out spectacular. 

That's awesome Steve, Feels good when you make upgrades, I had left out that were doing the flooring as well, Going to with all wood laminate except for the two bedrooms, My house was originally built in the 40's so some of this was overdue as the last time improvements were made was 25 or so yrs ago.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's awesome Steve, Feels good when you make upgrades, I had left out that were doing the flooring as well, Going to with all wood laminate except for the two bedrooms, My house was originally built in the 40's so some of this was overdue as the last time improvements were made was 25 or so yrs ago.

Yea wood laminate is great. All our floors outside bathrooms are now thick laminate with waterproof underlayment.  

• Like 1

Yea wood laminate is great. All our floors outside bathrooms are now thick laminate with waterproof underlayment.  

The stuff I got can even go into the bathroom it’s waterproof, Didn’t want to go with tile in the bathroom because it’s cold