Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s pretty awesome. You got 102 at BOS and it’s in the 60s up there in Maine. 

yeah...I know... it's about on par as that 1998, March 31 event... 

I was up at the UML lab at 3:15 pm and it was 89.4 on the monitor ( locally), but the ASOS at the time had CAR, ME 37 F with a wind gust to 43 mph from NE.... 

We were like, ummmm -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

While we’re talking heat, let’s discuss hot Saturday 1975 and the days leading in.  The day before (8/1/75) hir 98 at Logan, at that time the hottest in >5 years.  It was that classic hot town summer in the city feel.  My girlfriend and I went to eat dinner at this place near Washington Square Brookline -middle eastern place named Havanagila.  I was grooving in the heat!  I was living in the south end-the old piano factory and had a great apartment shared with my buddy.  I won the coin toss and my bedroom was the loft.  Damn it was hot!  Must have been 87-88 at midnight.   The winds on hot Saturday were perfect-WNW as I recall...enough to pop ACK to 100!  I was supposed to be watering my friend’s plants-he lived on Comm Ave Brighton and had ac so we retreated there.  The next day we walk outside and it’s 40 degrees cooler.  One of the all timer doors!  The same day I’m watching a ball game from Pittsburgh and it’s upper 90s.

Rare picture of Jerry and his girlfriend before hitting the town that night.

70's Jerry.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

While we’re talking heat, let’s discuss hot Saturday 1975 and the days leading in.  The day before (8/1/75) hir 98 at Logan, at that time the hottest in >5 years.  It was that classic hot town summer in the city feel.  My girlfriend and I went to eat dinner at this place near Washington Square Brookline -middle eastern place named Havanagila.  I was grooving in the heat!  I was living in the south end-the old piano factory and had a great apartment shared with my buddy.  I won the coin toss and my bedroom was the loft.  Damn it was hot!  Must have been 87-88 at midnight.   The winds on hot Saturday were perfect-WNW as I recall...enough to pop ACK to 100!  I was supposed to be watering my friend’s plants-he lived on Comm Ave Brighton and had ac so we retreated there.  The next day we walk outside and it’s 40 degrees cooler.  One of the all timer doors!  The same day I’m watching a ball game from Pittsburgh and it’s upper 90s.

8/1/75 had been blazing hot as my co-worker and I did some very sweaty forestry research work NW of Greenville (Maine), well up into the 90s at our BGR home, but we had guests (Bro-in-law and his wife) and stuck to our Saturday plan to pick blueberries along Route 1 in Gouldsboro.  We lasted until late morning - only B-I-L's Hawaiian wife who had grown up picking pineapples and cold-loving foolish me persisted past 10 AM - and then drove to Acadia and had our one and only swim in warm ocean water in Maine.  BHB hit 100 at the water's edge.  BGR had touched 101 and was forecast to be 100 on Sunday, was still 90 at 11 PM which was amazing for that part of the world.  Next morning it was 70-71 with the occasional sprinkle, most wonderful BD of my life.

yeah...I know... it's about on par as that 1998, March 31 event... 

I was up at the UML lab at 3:15 pm and it was 89.4 on the monitor ( locally), but the ASOS at the time had CAR, ME 37 F with a wind gust to 43 mph from NE.... 

The 3 Public Lands regional managers, one being me at that time, were at our Scraggly Lake tract just NE from Baxter Park on March 30-31, scoping out our annual 2-day peer review field trip.  Wx was cloudy and foggy the whole time, low-mid 30s with occasional showers, some with a bit of IP.  We had no clue than southern Maine was flirting with 90.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So dews in mid- upper 60’s is fall? Is that in the new normal?

Your high cannot be more than 68F today... Stem low was 59F and max 68F.  Doesn’t scream summer but dews do look like they are 64-68F.

You really do only care about dews, haha. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Your high cannot be more than 68F today... Stem low was 59F and max 68F.  Doesn’t scream summer but dews do look like they are 64-68F.

You really do only care about dews, haha. 

I am only asking. Are dews in mid to upper 60’s fall? If so, then I guess I don’t understand what SNE fall wx is 

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We are East ? Today is Friday. What were highs Tuesday in SNE outside of BOS? What was Central and W areas?

You got destroyed by Scooter. Just own it man. 

Even if he didn’t explicitly say Friday would be below 80F, he was very skeptical of your call for 80s all week. The BDF hung on an extra 18-24 hours...you never forecasted it at all. Own the wins....but own the losses too. 

• Haha 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Even if he didn’t explicitly say Friday would be below 80F, he was very skeptical of your call for 80s all week. The BDF hung on an extra 18-24 hours...you never forecasted it at all. Own the wins....but own the losses too. 

I’m still waiting for someone to explain how it was a backdoor. The front came thru from the NW and then as the high built in we had NE to east winds . There was no front that came in from the NE with screens slamming etc. Yes Scooter had a decent forecast. In fact go back to yesterday morning and see my post at 5:00 am while you slept . 

• Weenie 5

51 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m still waiting for someone to explain how it was a backdoor. The front came thru from the NW and then as the high built in we had NE to east winds . There was no front that came in from the NE with screens slamming etc. Yes Scooter had a decent forecast. In fact go back to yesterday morning and see my post at 5:00 am while you slept . 

You’re on a Chris Davis slump right now.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

He can’t own the losses. This week was just very comfortable outside . I didn’t realize this week would feature afternoons in 70’s for so many days . I figured it would be like 80-81 in Ash.  At least we will have heat , he has been waiting for Saturday for the last 3 days to forget about this stretch , I’m looking forward to the heat on Sunday ..something extreme hopefully .

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Temps were in the 60s most of the day, it was rainy, misty, low overcast. What would dews be on a rainy Oct day with temps in the 60s? I will wait for an answer 

Ummm. How many rainy misty humid days do you avg in October? I have so many of you guys who like to make stuff up, try to make fun , and there’s so many that keep quiet that understand you and Dendy and Pickles.. you just don’t get it.  Have at it guys  . 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ummm. How many rainy misty humid days do you avg in October? I have so many of you guys who like to make stuff up, try to make fun , and there’s so many that keep quiet that understand you and Dendy and Pickles.. you just don’t get it.  Have at it guys  . 

Huh? You have to be into many IPAs by now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Huh? You have to be into many IPAs by now. 

I've been trying for 5 minutes to figure out what he was trying to say. 

Anyway, what a stunning summer evening out there.  72/68 right now.  The humidity certainly shot up after this morning's 2/3rds of an inch of rain, but temperatures are comfy.  Only clouds left seem to be tied like balloons right over the high terrain.

July_17.thumb.jpg.32cf889736df14e6555d440cdbce7461.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1