Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Late morning and BDL and ORH are 66°. We usually get the late morning bump as dew evaporates, but it’ll mix and dry out somewhat in the afternoon. Are you new here?

Had all week with cool air decides to trim in the morning with everything dripping wet. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ginx and Dendy Vs the rest of the forum and more importantly current Obs 

Do you have the fan on your vp2? I forget. What’s the manufacturing code on your davis? I asked you the other day. If it’s new enough you should consider upgrading to a newer sensor. $45 on scaled instruments iirc.

Dews of 61-62F at ORH and BDL...

There’s nothing noteworthy about that in the least.  Is this conversation for real?  

And yes PWS will probably be 5F higher but they always have been since the dawn of time...we judge how we feel by the ASOS readings you used to watch on Local on the 8s on TWC.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Dews of 61-62F at ORH and BDL...

There’s nothing noteworthy about that in the least.  Is this conversation for real?  

And yes PWS will probably be 5F higher but they always have been since the dawn of time...we judge how we feel by the ASOS readings you used to watch on Local on the 8s on TWC.

No one judges by those. You judge by where you are and where you live in your environment. Makes zero sense.  Why would we judge by blacktop and jet engines?  We’re waiting for the cool 50’s dews all day you and a few others promised. Still got a few hours in your favor til the late afternoon surge up 

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No one judges by those. You judge by where you are and where you live in your environment. Makes zero sense.  Why would we judge by blacktop and jet engines?  We’re waiting for the cool 50’s dews all day you and a few others promised. Still got a few hours in your favor til the late afternoon surge up 

Can’t use BDL temps and Lesco dews...sry. 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I haven’t said anything about dews in the 50s, lol. 

I can see the official observations and I know how most on here read them.  And I’m all for picking a type of station and going with it, but honestly the “Temps at Tarmac, Dews in the Backyard” stuff gets old when trying to have an objective weather convo.  

It’s like some mind game to find the observations we want to see.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

You said to use ASOS.

Heres a few more

PVD 71

Waterbury/ Oxford 66

It's good to see you coming to see the light. 

Humid day closer to the ocean... drying out nicely in the interior with upper 50s now.  It's starting to paint an actual picture of dew points now.  You could probably almost plot the boundary by comparing similar stations.

200718131300.gif.e07c40de16a1a8a58ad1ada69937197c.gif

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Greenfield is 68dp right now.  We had a lot of moisture in the soil from all of the rain this week.

There’s 2 macs in all six NE states with dews under 60. Ones that notoriously run lower than nearby ones. Everyone else is either humid or oppressive. I think we’ve got our mic drop. We walk off

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I still think you fail to realize that dewpoint scales for sensible wx feeling we’re created off of airport obs. So when they said a dew of 63 feels muggy at an airport, that was like 68 at a PWS....once an airport reaches 68, its starting to feel oppressive because PWS would read like 73-74. 

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I still think you fail to realize that dewpoint scales for sensible wx feeling we’re created off of airport obs. So when they said a dew of 63 feels muggy at an airport, that was like 68 at a PWS....once an airport reaches 68, its starting to feel oppressive because PWS would read like 73-74. 

And it goes with temperatures too... I think of growing up, if ALB hit 90F we said it was 90 degrees today.  Our backyard under dense canopy probably maxed out at 85-86F.  But we go by the station that's on the Local on the 8's or that you see on the 6pm news when they say "Albany hit 90F today."   So when that 6pm news also shows a dew point of 63F that's what you start associating in your head.  Like oh, that's what a 90/63 day felt like.... when the backyard was probably 85/68. 

To me it doesn't really matter, but just be consistent.  Don't be a clown and pick different variables from different observations.

Anyway, some decent mixing today.  Can see BDL has hit 91/57 and ORH 84/57 in the 5-min data.  Starting to mix out a bit even in some of the PWS.