• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

A bear was back at it this afternoon... came home with groceries this evening to this little guy grazing in our yard.  He seems very young and smaller than the one we had seen before.  It's hard to tell.

He's a little guy, big stout legs though like he's going to grow up into a big guy.  Sort of like a young puppy who's paws and legs are much too big for their body.

He's been chilling out at the back dumpster now for a half hour or so.  Doesn't give a sh*t about humans, think we are deer or something.  Just another living thing going about it's business.

115868894_10104260836251860_334528090941

109468619_10104260836092180_758036204175

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A bear was back at it this afternoon... came home with groceries this evening to this little guy grazing in our yard.  He seems very young and smaller than the one we had seen before.  It's hard to tell.

He's a little guy, big stout legs though like he's going to grow up into a big guy.  Sort of like a young puppy who's paws and legs are much too big for their body.

He's been chilling out at the back dumpster now for a half hour or so.  Doesn't give a sh*t about humans, think we are deer or something.  Just another living thing going about it's business.

115868894_10104260836251860_334528090941

109468619_10104260836092180_758036204175

That face is the face Dendy makes when reads every Kev post

Screenshot_20200719-183802_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Reminds me a lot of the huge heat and dews 78-80 we all had a couple summers ago. 2018 maybe 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Dew of 59? Let us know when that happens this weekend!

lol

Heh... It may be 12z being the cool limb of the diurnal cycle with that 850 mb thermal rendition... 

I noticed that leading up to this recent warm bout, that the Euro was routinely warmer at 00z than 12z ... not always... ..say, 60 ... 70% of the transition comparison.  

I think the 850mb "breathes" so to speak, like it expands when the BL is is bursting into the gradient level...then, it recedes back to a slightly cool rest state at night...etc. 

But this run paints like there's simultaneous oddities probably owing to Euro biases... that being one, the other is that D8.5 sudden seasonal change over Ontario with those mechanics so powerful it induces an actual orbital wobble ... is probably it's penchants for doing that sort of bullshit in that time range... 

Heh, I guess the bottom line is ...there's heat on the charts and since we don't normally successfully get it up here without the Earth figuring out a way to f-it up and fail somehow, it's going to be muted one way or the other to pick a way -

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think the 850mb "breathes" so to speak, like it expands when the BL is is bursting into the gradient level...then, it recedes back to a slightly cool rest state at night...etc. 

I use pivotal weather and always compare the frames valid at the 18z times. So it's always the peak of the afternoon. They have it out to d10 at 6hr intervals.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why wouldn't it?  Even the mountain summits around that level have normal diurnal max/mins that can vary up to 15-20 degrees F in stable air masses (ie no strong advection processes) when the valleys several thousand feet below are doing 40 degree swings. Most days that level seems good for at least 10 degrees in diurnal heating/cooling with the solar cycle.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why wouldn't it?  Even the mountain summits around that level have normal diurnal max/mins that can vary up to 15-20 degrees F in stable air masses (ie no strong advection processes) when the valleys several thousand feet below are doing 40 degree swings. Most days that level seems good for at least 10 degrees in diurnal heating/cooling with the solar cycle.

Right

plus ... I was making a pour assumption that Brian was comparing the 12z intervals. Lol

Anyway I’m not sure I buy that solution anyway ... it seems it may be a buckled outlier of the EPS ... which the latter doesn’t have to be right of course. But convention dictates caution ... it’s been trending higher hydrostatic arc north of Lake superior and I think it’s trying to signal an evolution towards an over the top or flop heat delivery… It’s not like this season hasn’t been set up for one with all the continental tucking that we’ve been doing over the Maritimes seems like a northwest delivery is bound to happen sooner or later… Just a hypothesis

The recognition of shorter days hit me last night and this morning.  The accumulation of the imperceptible daily shifts have hit the tipping point.  We've lost 28 minutes of daylight so far.  I celebrate this in the summer.  In late January, I bemoan the lengthening of them.

Oddly, as I typed this, I thought that sounded like a Tip post.  To complete that theme, I'd have to say something liike "heh--in a few more weeks we'll find the magnitude of the solar radiance isn't heating the inside of my car as much".

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

67 here currently. He generally picks a short window snapshot of when it’s modeled to be lower for an hour or two rather than the whole day 

He? Who is he and who is we? It's a gorgeous day, humidity way down 77/ 62 degrees with a breeze.  Go sweat in your mulch bed

• Haha 1