Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

8 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Looks like cne/ nne outperforms sne again this week in the heat department.  Low and in FTW, with the valleys north of route  2 in MA having the best chance at 95. 

Yep. There will be lots of U80s and low 90s in SNE.....BDL-ORH-LWM.  ORH meaning not at 1k where the airport it. 

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

NNE...

Winter cold...check
Winter snow...check
Spring snow...check
No drought...check
Summer warmth...check
No people...check
No COVID...check

We've got all that in upstate NY too.

Unfortunately we also have "No jobs" to go with it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I keep waiting for that weather I was told was a regular occurrence up here. So far, it's been hotter and drier here than in MD most days.

Enjoy it while it lasts. I can't remember the last time NNE has consistently outperformed SNE in heat for this long of a stretch this time of year. When it happens it's usually in April or May before leaf out and when SNE is dealing with maritime influence.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I keep waiting for that weather I was told was a regular occurrence up here. So far, it's been hotter and drier here than in MD most days.

Of course a little exaggeration. There has been summers where it just seems to become mostly cloudy almost every aftn. The terrain certainly helps with that. On the other hand, it keeps the vegetation pretty lush. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course a little exaggeration. There has been summers where it just seems to become mostly cloudy almost every aftn. The terrain certainly helps with that. On the other hand, it keeps the vegetation pretty lush. 

Reminds me of my time in SW FL in the rainy season. Wake up to clear skies, get your nape tan on by 10-11am, then storm by 1-2pm. Rinse, repeat.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Reminds me of my time in SW FL in the rainy season. Wake up to clear skies, get your nape tan on by 10-11am, then storm by 1-2pm. Rinse, repeat.

I have a love-hate relationship with clouds. On one hand, I just want it sunny all day and torching lake/ocean temps. On the other hand, I enjoy the gardening/lawn and rain is needed for that. 

• Weenie 2

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah there are certainly those summers... or patterns during summers.  I think it was 2015 or 2016 where that really took off, or around there.  We never hit 90F that summer and it seemed to rain every single afternoon.  Even when we got the hot air masses the big Tcu by 1pm off the mountains would shut down heating at like 85-88F.  

This is pretty dry for the mountains, we do have those summer months where it rains like 21 of 30 days but only for like 20-30 min a day.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah there are certainly those summers... or patterns during summers.  I think it was 2015 or 2016 where that really took off, or around there.  We never hit 90F that summer and it seemed to rain every single afternoon.  Even when we got the hot air masses the big Tcu by 1pm off the mountains would shut down heating at like 85-88F.  

This is pretty dry for the mountains, we do have those summer months where it rains like 21 of 30 days but only for like 20-30 min a day.

I think it was 2018 where we had rain like every effing day up north. It was extremely frustrating. That trough parked just west of us at the end of July into Aug. Not much rain here, but lots in western and northern NE.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it was 2018 where we had rain like every effing day up north. It was extremely frustrating. That trough parked just west of us at the end of July into Aug. Not much rain here, but lots in western and northern NE.

Yeah there’s definitely a good deal of that. Last year didn’t do it either though I don’t think... some summers it seems the mountain gets a thunderstorm 5 out of every 7 days and then other summers it just doesn’t happen. 

We’ve seen a fair bit of sunshine but then I also think we didn’t see any sun at all this past weekend.  But it also didn’t rain.  Odd to get that cold aloft and have that trough but be completely dry, just cloudy.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I seem to remember summer 2016 with just constant terrain cumulus, even on forecasted nice days would wake up with bright sunny skies then orographic clouds would start building and bubbling at like 945am..lol

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I seem to remember summer 2016 with just constant terrain cummolous, even on forecasted nice days would wake up with bright sunny skies then orographic clouds would start building and bubbling at like 945am..lol

Yeah that sounds right... really stunted our high temps that summer. 

On the flip side, I’m up at the picnic tables right now and can see MWN to the east, Jay Peak to the north, Killington to the south and Whiteface to the west.  

There isn’t a single cloud in sight in that entire 360 degree view this afternoon.  Really dry air mass or a lot of sinking air.  Crazy to see all this topography in a June afternoon completely devoid of even a single shallow Cu.