Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

37 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Our hummingbird feeder has had a lot of activity, including one bird that comes close to sunset, which we found surprisingly late in the day.  Thought the little critters were midday feeders.  3 years ago a partridge killed itself on our picture window, a year after we had replaced the 40+ year old one, which probably would've been broken by the impact.  No damage to the new one, and our first partridge dinner in years.

They feed constantly here. Bird activity this morning was crazy. 

9 minutes ago, kdxken said:

You raise murder chickens?

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Mine are like mini t-rexes with colorful feathers. 

When I was in high school, I raised chickens as Future Farmers of America project.  They were pretty much free range during the day and put inside at night.  One day I saw one impale a small frog with it's beak and eat it.  They can be brutal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

When I was in high school, I raised chickens as Future Farmers of America project.  They were pretty much free range during the day and put inside at night.  One day I saw one impale a small frog with it's beak and eat it.  They can be brutal.

And then they try to sell you vegetarian raised meat and eggs at the store. If my birds didn’t get some worms and bugs they’d be eating each other. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Looks like it.  Sandy River at 190 cfs, 25th percentile 310, record low 131 so it's probably about 10th percentile.  22 years ago the flow was 22,900.

Odd question - anyone else having an abnormally high number of bird strikes on their windows?  It's probably 5X the usual this month, a lot on the north side of the house where we're still putting out suet for the woodpeckers (and the hogging blue jays) but also on east and south sides.  Haven't had any that failed to fly away, yet.

we were getting a lot last year, including some humming birds that hang close to the window. We ended up making some picture frame-like bird screens and suction cupped them to the window. So far so good.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Our hummingbird feeder has had a lot of activity, including one bird that comes close to sunset, which we found surprisingly late in the day.  Thought the little critters were midday feeders.  3 years ago a partridge killed itself on our picture window, a year after we had replaced the 40+ year old one, which probably would've been broken by the impact.  No damage to the new one, and our first partridge dinner in years.

I see our hummingbirds mostly in the early morning and the evening.  Of course, that could also be because that is when I am usually in the sunroom near the feeders and flowers.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

62 out at 1pm lol. Full sun. It’s surprisingly  warm in the sun at least. 

BML 70 and LEB 73. Should be some interesting May/June anomalies across our region when all is said and done. Ginxy needs to post his 30 day maps after this week.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

They feed constantly here. Bird activity this morning was crazy. 

I’ve been going though more food more quickly than I ever remember!   This morning the blue jays ruled as usual with the cardinal feeding always looking back and the jays chased him away.   Crazy ravenous birds...interesting to watch.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’ve been going though more food more quickly than I ever remember!   This morning the blue jays ruled as usual with the cardinal feeding always looking back and the jays chased him away.   Crazy ravenous birds...interesting to watch.

I am in heaven, my glasses came in today. I missed vibrant colors!!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It feels wrong talking about impending big heat without DIT around. Why did delicate in tolland leave the board this time?

He will back on by Thursday. Electric Blue in Tolland is opening up after a 3 month Shutdown and there are high dews there dripping off the fellas

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

No bird feeders up here... the bears have been out of control.  A good friend just two days ago had a small bird feeder on his second story deck and had a large bear climb up there destroy it and then attempt to enter the residence but the dogs scared it off.  Another friend about a quarter mile away from that had likely the same bear hanging out in his front entry way and busting into a locked crate to get birdseed. 

Some woman on River Road had a bear enter her residence in the last week and ransack her kitchen, easily tearing the screen apart and letting itself in.  The bears are on a mission this year.

Untitled.jpg.4b366a4a0931a94d7ffa1cea4a671955.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No bird feeders up here... the bears have been out of control.  A good friend just two days ago had a small bird feeder on his second story deck and had a large bear climb up there destroy it and then attempt to enter the residence but the dogs scared it off.  Another friend about a quarter mile away from that had likely the same bear hanging out in his front entry way and busting into a locked crate to get birdseed. 

Some woman on River Road had a bear enter her residence in the last week and ransack her kitchen, easily tearing the screen apart and letting itself in.  The bears are on a mission this year.

Untitled.jpg.4b366a4a0931a94d7ffa1cea4a671955.jpg

I've heard more bear reports this year than I can remember.  I haven't seen one yet but a neighbor through the woods across the street, about a quarter mile away had three on his security cam the other week.