• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Hawkeyecr
    Newest Member
    Hawkeyecr

May Banter 2020

4 hours ago, mdhokie said:

Just signed a contract to take down 8 big oak trees, all dead. No one seems to know whats going on with oaks in MD. Theory is a wet 2018 and the drought of last fall really stressed them and disease/insects finish them off. Such a shame. We will re-plant but will never be the same in my lifetime.

https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/hgic/Non_hgic_pubs/Maryland Pest Alert - Problems on White Oaks.pdf

We have dead oaks scattered throughout our neighborhood.  Took one down in my yard last fall.  Not widespread, but it is always notable when one of the big ones dies quickly.

5 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Don't get me wrong. I try a lot of things. The two things I grew up with that I refuse to eat anymore is Hamsalad and Boiled Dinner. I get that some things may taste good but it has to pass my bad gag reflix first. Or else it will come out looking worse than going in. :D

Reverse/elimination logic. I like it. As always ......

5 hours ago, H2O said:

Only 26 of them.  thats my age.

It’s been 47 years since I could say that. As always ....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok so Mr. J. Wanted a hair cut. All I had was horse clippers and a mane comb. Had to deal with a wasp flying up my shorts and stinging the crap out of my thigh, but I got him sheared. Don’t ask me how good I did. Let’s just say his head is cooler now. :rolleyes:

4F4C2F3D-CECD-4ACD-987D-5142FB4B97D3.jpeg

Mr, J is a very fortunate to have you as a partner. As long as both His ears are still there you did fine. You may want to report the wasp to the Me Too movement. As always ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

"It's smiling at me!!"

“Don’t ask, don’t tell” just send me the recipe. As always .....

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Tonight was crab feast night! The beer is a pumpkin ale from cult classic 

5AB81180-212E-48CE-BB14-5A24ACC95D27.jpeg

Looks good. 

Good to see Cult Classic is doing ok. I miss going there and having a flight. They literally just got their kitchen going when the covid shit started.

• Like 1

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Looks good. 

Good to see Cult Classic is doing ok. I miss going there and having a flight. They literally just got their kitchen going when the covid shit started.

They had some farmers market right next to their building yesterday. I’m not sure how the actual place is doing. I seemed to be the only one picking anything up. I saw the owner on Facebook complaining about the small business loan approval process

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

They had some farmers market right next to their building yesterday. I’m not sure how the actual place is doing. I seemed to be the only one picking anything up. I saw the owner on Facebook complaining about the small business loan approval process

Yeah I was concerned if they would be able to survive. Relatively new brewery but they have a great product. I was a regular. Hopefully they can make it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I was concerned if they would be able to survive. Relatively new brewery but they have a great product. I was a regular. Hopefully they can make it.

Yeah the pumpkin ale is ok. Pretty much your run of the mill pumpkin style. I’ll try a stout if they put one out 

Yeah the pumpkin ale is ok. Pretty much your run of the mill pumpkin style. I’ll try a stout if they put one out 

Yeah the pumpkin is decent. I am not a big fan of those type beers overall. Hard to do well. RAR has a great one, but you have to find it on tap. Its called Big Lizz. Brewed with locally grown butternut squash.

Cult Classic has a very good oatmeal stout and a high gravity dark ale that is very stout like. I love their IPAs, esp the fruity/hazy one. I forget what they call it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah the pumpkin is decent. I am not a big fan of those type beers overall. Hard to do well. RAR has a great one, but you have to find it on tap. Its called Big Lizz. Brewed with locally grown butternut squash.

Cult Classic has a very good oatmeal stout and a high gravity dark ale that is very stout like. I love their IPAs, esp the fruity/hazy one. I forget what they call it.

Would love to try the oatmeal and dark ale. Yeah I’m a pumpkin beer fiend. I’ve had a ton of them. Hard to put my finger on which one is best. But greater pumpkin By heavy seas and dogfish head punkin are pretty good 

Would love to try the oatmeal and dark ale. Yeah I’m a pumpkin beer fiend. I’ve had a ton of them. Hard to put my finger on which one is best. But greater pumpkin By heavy seas and dogfish head punkin are pretty good 

Yeah I have to be in the mood for those. I always liked the Flying Dog "The Fear" Imperial Pumpkin ale. About 9% abv.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I have to be in the mood for those. I always liked the Flying Dog "The Fear" Imperial Pumpkin ale. About 9% abv.

Yeah that’s good too. Throw the southern tier ones in there as well 

curry is very delicious. it's one of my fav foods. i dont cook it inside though because it stinks up the house

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

^that looks amazing @Mrs.J! What was the recipe? We like Indian.

@WxUSAFHere you go Coconut Chicken Curry

33 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

curry is very delicious. it's one of my fav foods. i dont cook it inside though because it stinks up the house

I love that smell. But actually this one did not leave the curry smell in the house. Maybe because it used about 7 different spices along with the Curry powder.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I made chicken tikka masala in a slow cooker a while back and it turned out delicious and smelled awesome.

That is usually what I make. But have gotten to like coconut milk in things. 

• Like 2

Warm muggy night in rural WV with neighborhood fireworks going off from several directions.  Guess it’s the pre-Memorial Day weekend celebration ?  Actually it will be every weekend from now through the summer.

Not sure the stands are open so these must be from surplus stock ?

Finishing the night with full tilt sour gummy worm sour. They threw in several whole bags of sour gummy worms into the brewing process and fermenter

5EEA4D07-6B83-4CAE-91EE-D501A5DDAA16.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Made some Curry tonight. New recipe and it was darn tasty! 

DC018266-1DAA-4732-97BE-744BBD283935.jpeg

That looks so good. If the old saying is true that the way to a mans Heart is through his stomach, Mr J must still be uncontrollably in love. As always ....

@nj2va @nw baltimore wx @Scraff @Chris78

What do you all think of Gudas's comments?

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/05/snapshots-gudas-chl-lawsuit-miller.html?fv-home=true&post-id=120193

The NHL has been clear about their desire to resume and complete the 2019-20 season at some point this summer, but that’s not shared by every player in the league. Radko Gudas was interviewed in the Czech Republic about his concerns for a restart, and Alexandra Petakova of Russian Machine Never Breaks translated it to English. Never one to hide his feelings, Gudas doesn’t think restarting the season is a good idea:

If one guy is infected, basically the whole league has it in a week, given how they are planning to have everyone play against everyone. One stupid stumble and you can cancel it all again.

Perhaps more interesting from the interview however are Gudas’ comments on his future with the Washington Capitals. The veteran defenseman explained that the team is facing a difficult salary cap situation and believes that he and “a lot of the guys with contracts about to expire” will end up leaving the Capitals this offseason. Washington has four players on the NHL roster who are scheduled for unrestricted free agency: Gudas, Ilya Kovalchuk, Brenden Dillon and, perhaps most importantly, Braden Holtby.

41 minutes ago, yoda said:

He's not wrong.  It's going to be pretty tough to get any sports team to buy into playing any time soon.  I wouldn't even know where to begin regarding a discussion about contracts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

^that looks amazing @Mrs.J! What was the recipe? We like Indian.

Not all curry is Indian. My wife makes tasty Japanese curry dishes. Different for sure. Same general ideas, but a bit less pungent. Look up some recipes. HMart has several premixed products of varying tastes and spice. 

6 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Made some Curry tonight. New recipe and it was darn tasty! 

DC018266-1DAA-4732-97BE-744BBD283935.jpeg

Looks scrumptious Mrs. J.  My wife is Asian-born and makes all kinds of curry.  She has curry from Japan, Thailand and India.  It's so darn good I always overindulge.  What you have there looks like some of the curry my cook in India used to make.  He had about 20 kinds of curry powder in my kitchen.  Ranged from medium to beyond hot.  He used to get a read on how I was feeling before cooking to get the spicy right.  India has the best carrots in the world too (they are red, not orange), which go great with all curry.  Same thing when we lived in Thailand.  Our cook had all kinds of curry powder.  They have various kinds of green, red, yellow, brown and orange curry - and some of it will light you on fire.  What you have there in the picture just looks fantastic.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

He's not wrong.  It's going to be pretty tough to get any sports team to buy into playing any time soon.  I wouldn't even know where to begin regarding a discussion about contracts.

Dillon and Ilya were always supposed to be rentals.  The problem is Holtby.  Fans will want him to stay but Samsonov is the future. Can’t keep everyone. Ovi’s contract is due next year too

Found a nice, little-hiked loop trail in the Potomac-Darnestown-Poolesville area. Going to do that then order carry out from Founding Farmers!

• Like 1