• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Jerry Korkos
    Newest Member
    Jerry Korkos
joshwx2003

April 12 Severe Event

Thankfully this tornado is moving into a vast stretch of pine forest as it heads towards the Pearl River, and there is less than 500 people within a 10 mile radius of its current position.

Scary part is, there is NOTHING whatsoever to impede either of these cells from continuing well into AL.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don’t totally understand why the SPC tries to estimate the intensity of ongoing tornadoes in MDs

Hate to say the obvious here, but that lead cell has nothing impeding it. Unless other storms fire, it’s going to have room to run for a LONG time. 

by the way, the Hattiesburg area has had several tornadoes EF1-EF5 since 2000. Hattiesburg is in the middle of this image.

Xn8EOdw.jpg

1 minute ago, MUWX said:

I don’t totally understand why the SPC tries to estimate the intensity of ongoing tornadoes in MDs

There is research that shows it can be estimated by VROT and CC depth. My friend does research on it and posts some stuff on twitter.  He will probably be posting about this tor at some point.

https://twitter.com/ou_sams

2 minutes ago, MUWX said:

I mean, given available data from the DGX and LIX radars, where the beams are hitting several thousand feet up, it's within their scientific realm and justifiable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Snowstorm920 said:

Environment breakdown on that tornado emergency cell from the SPC meso page. Talk about a pristine environment

Capture.PNG.fc78629cd95f579f5e04fbb511eb5713.PNG

That MLCAPE is something else 

Cell is taking on more classic supercell characteristics. Cell in behind doing the same.

Pretty wild to watch the hook accelerating forward the last 4-6 frames in the radar. This storm is a beast and the next larger populated community downrange is Laurel.

Velocity is a mess. If that was on the ground, I feel like we would be seeing a TDS by now