• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BobbyB
    Newest Member
    BobbyB

Coronavirus

The UK is in bad shape with new strain 60k cases and 830 deaths. Population of UK is about 66 million. Per capita they are doing worse than we are. What makes this worrisome is they are taking precautions and we are not 

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

JFC that is science fiction. He is a literal fiction author, not an expert on anything related to any of this. 

Honestly,  I have no clue what the guy is or who he is came across the article and thought it might add to the thread. I'm not even sure if it espouses any direct opinion on the topic  one way or the other but it  does seem you might be quick to shut down any type of dialogue that doesn't meet your standards or fit your viewpoints. Quick add on here as I went back to make sure the article was not simply a fictional account as noted above. While it is true the author is a fiction writer he has also done non-fiction work. I have included an excerpt that alludes as such:

"I hadn’t interviewed scientists about SARS-2 or read their research papers. But I did know something about pathogens and laboratory accidents; I published a book last year, Baseless, that talks about some of them. The book is named after a Pentagon program, Project Baseless, whose goal, as of 1951, was to achieve “an Air Force–wide combat capability in biological and chemical warfare at the earliest possible date.”

Just wanted to make sure I was posting relevant material here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most workers aren't going to die from Covid or have long term problems. Probably most of them it was just a bad cold and they have already had it. Why should they take it??? This is part of the problem. You identify the problem areas FIRST. It is something many Gov's screwed up last spring. The problem is the large number of old people in their 80's dying and 60/70's hogging up hospital space.

Stop badgering younger people. Period.

Fwiw, more and more evidence suggests that Covid started in Europe fwiw.

Most workers aren't going to die from Covid or have long term problems. Probably most of them it was just a bad cold and they have already had it. Why should they take it??? This is part of the problem. You identify the problem areas FIRST. It is something many Gov's screwed up last spring. The problem is the large number of old people in their 80's dying and 60/70's hogging up hospital space.
Stop badgering younger people. Period.
Fwiw, more and more evidence suggests that Covid started in Europe fwiw.
The only thing I'll agree with is this: Dr Scott Gottlieb (Trump's former FDA chief), who's been a very good source of covid info, thinks we should be opening up higher risk age groups younger than 75+ instead of trying to focus on designated priority groups. This makes a good deal of sense: we're trying to race to get to population level herd immunity, so the priority should be as many shots in arms as possible. Let people who want to get vaccinated get the vaccine. The highest demand is in 60+ age group, so let them get it and if younger essential workers want to wait, let them and let others at a higher risk get the vaccine.

Ultimately though, it is important that all age groups get it. We need to promote the importance of doing so. It's not badgering younger people -- the only way we can get to herd immunity is if at least 70% of the population is immune.

On the last point, there's not a chance the virus started in Europe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly,  I have no clue what the guy is or who he is came across the article and thought it might add to the thread. I'm not even sure if it espouses any direct opinion on the topic  one way or the other but it  does seem you might be quick to shut down any type of dialogue that doesn't meet your standards or fit your viewpoints. Quick add on here as I went back to make sure the article was not simply a fictional account as noted above. While it is true the author is a fiction writer he has also done non-fiction work. I have included an excerpt that alludes as such:
"I hadn’t interviewed scientists about SARS-2 or read their research papers. But I did know something about pathogens and laboratory accidents; I published a book last year, Baseless, that talks about some of them. The book is named after a Pentagon program, Project Baseless, whose goal, as of 1951, was to achieve “an Air Force–wide combat capability in biological and chemical warfare at the earliest possible date.”
Just wanted to make sure I was posting relevant material here.
I don't think it's wrong to speculate about the possibility that it was an accidental release of a hybrid virus from lab experiments. The author does cite field experts about their own speculation on potential it was an accidental lab release. The thing is, the virus probably still is of natural origin, but the intermediary animal hasn't and probably won't ever be determined because of the CCP's pervasive efforts to cover up the origin of SARS-CoV2.

Given the cover-up by the CCP and seeming coincidence that the spread of the virus likely started in the very city where a high security lab is researching bat viruses, I don't think it's baseless to wonder. None of us that I know of on here are experts on virology but yet I don't think it's unfair to raise the issue the author did despite the fact he doesn't have expertise in this area. It goes both ways, China covering up origin of the virus, neither proves nor negates it was an accidental lab release. The original SARS was zoonotic and yet the CCP engaged in a cover-up with that too. It's what they do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Big reason the national hospital numbers are still rising is the Midwest numbers are not falling too fast while the entire southern US/4 most populated states are continuing to jump.

States like Florida, Georgia & Texas are really starting to really go off the rails. 31K cases in Texas is...not good.

19 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Big reason the national hospital numbers are still rising is the Midwest numbers are not falling too fast while the entire southern US/4 most populated states are continuing to jump.

States like Florida, Georgia & Texas are really starting to really go off the rails. 31K cases in Texas is...not good.

Deaths will probably peak at 4500/day 

14 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

This new strain is a wildcard though which could make us peak higher 

We really need to get vaccinations moving. Current pace is not going to cut it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

We really need to get vaccinations moving. Current pace is not going to cut it.

Definitely need to pick up the pace because right now covid is winning 

Cases are down a bit and so are deaths. Its peaked. I would ignore hospitalizations due to the lag. I suspect midmonth they go down.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

Cases are down a bit and so are deaths. Its peaked. I would ignore hospitalizations due to the lag. I suspect midmonth they go down.

The holidays complicate the picture, but if you just compare the numbers, we are pretty much where we were right before Christmas in terms of cases and deaths.  Hopefully a downturn is more obvious than this in the next couple weeks.

Screenshot_20210106-155412.thumb.png.82be7c35cb840e4ff56ced347aaab967.png

Screenshot_20210106-155443.thumb.png.7ccaf5ffb226727dcc726daf0ff345d5.png

Other than medical personnel, this whole choosing who gets it first is dumb. Give as many shots as possible & make the population immune. That protects everyone quicker than what is happening now, which essentially is a cluster.

I really don’t like that many medical professionals are refusing the shot, it’s like meteorologists on different local networks giving massively different snowfall totals. Who the heck do you believe?

26 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Other than medical personnel, this whole choosing who gets it first is dumb. Give as many shots as possible & make the population immune. That protects everyone quicker than what is happening now, which essentially is a cluster.

I really don’t like that many medical professionals are refusing the shot, it’s like meteorologists on different local networks giving massively different snowfall totals. Who the heck do you believe?

Most health professionals aren't over 60. Its the elderly that need them and most seem to realize it fwiw. Why waste shots when so many more need them??

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

What a day in America. This will only complicate fighting this pandemic 

The only thing that surprised me is that it didn't happen weeks ago.  

Anyway, shouldn't be making references to it here.  A friendly reminder from the admin:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/announcement/21-reminder-no-political-discussions/

• Like 1

The only thing is hospitalizations should be peaking prior to deaths peaking. Doe not make sense for deaths to have peaked just before Christmas if hospitalizations have risen 10-15% since then. AFAIK nothing new has been applied in the hospital setting to meaningfully reduce mortality.

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

The only thing is hospitalizations should be peaking prior to deaths peaking. Doe not make sense for deaths to have peaked just before Christmas if hospitalizations have risen 10-15% since then. AFAIK nothing new has been applied in the hospital setting to meaningfully reduce mortality.

The death numbers look like they are still rising. Today in particular is terrible. The most reliable figure on tracking continues to be hospitalization data. Until it starts meaningfully dropping we can't confidently say cases are going down imo.