Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

On 1/31/2021 at 7:13 PM, dan11295 said:

FYI The website that has been linked regarding the HCQ and Ivermectin has had their Twitter account banned for over a month. They appear to be misrepresenting the conclusions of at least some of the referenced studies.

On the "website that has been linked" they quite literally bring up every study concerning the application of HCQ to COVID, disclosing which studies they exclude from their meta-analysis and why.  Significance of any given study is apparent and they note which are RCTs.  Methodology is given (appendix).  You even use the website itself as a source acknowledging that large CI in Mitjá et al.  How much more open, transparent, and unbiased can one get in a meta-analysis?

23 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

a representative group of 75,000 American adults: It has killed roughly 
150 of them and sent several hundred more to the hospital. The vaccines reduce 
those numbers to zero and nearly zero, based on the research trials.

The 0.2% US adult death rate is after a full year of this pandemic.  The final phases of the vaccine trials were compressed into a couple of months.  Still even if you take 30 adults in a two month period (death risk was never uniform over the year but whatever), comparing 30 to ~0 the vaccines still look good.  I won't deny they work well on paper but I advocate watching Israel to witness effects of mass vaccination in a "real world" setting.

Here's some encouraging real world vaccine data from Israel. Measuring efficacy from real world data is much more complicated than it is in a clinical trial due to confounding variables that are impossible to control for. Notably this is why so many observational studies on things like HCQ can lead to incorrect conclusions.  Nevertheless there are some good Twitter threads from public health scientists breading down the data.

7 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

I feel like with all of these variants, we won't be able to keep up and know all the differences.  I read about something new in Iowa I thought?

So far is appears the key ones (UK/SA/Brazil) all seem to share the same key 1 or more mutations. SA and Brazil seems very similar, closer to each other than the UK one. Evidence suggests that these mutations are developing independently or each other. Which would make sense as I don't think there is that much travel between Manaus and SA. Vaccines still appear to be effective enough against them so far. IF we start getting further mutations which decrease the vaccine effectiveness, especially the ability to prevent severe disease, then you have a problem. The latter has NOT happened yet, as far I I know.

Next thing to watch will be if there is any increase in cases after Super Bowl gatherings.  When you think about who tends to attend Super Bowl gatherings, probably a disproportionately low percentage have already been vaccinated.  On the other hand, perhaps a disproportionately high percentage of that group has already had covid.

8 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Deaths still way too high today at 3999. This number should start declining hopefully in a couple of weeks. Will hit 500k sometime this month unfortunately 

7-day average has begun falling and this decline should accelerate shortly. Cases are continuing to drop sharply. Today was barely above last Sunday (weather may be impacting that a bit, but trend is still clear.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Next thing to watch will be if there is any increase in cases after Super Bowl gatherings.  When you think about who tends to attend Super Bowl gatherings, probably a disproportionately low percentage have already been vaccinated.  On the other hand, perhaps a disproportionately high percentage of that group has already had covid.

LOL true.  Just made me think

143632961.jpg.jpg

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not just the Super Bowl, also:

Mardi Gras : February 16, 2021
St. Patrick's Day : March 17, 2021
Easter : April 4, 2021

29 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

When its all said and done I suspect the  real death toll in America will be much higher 

When you compare the numbers on state dashboards compared for actual death certificate data reported by the CDC via the National Center for Health Statistics, some states have noticeably higher numbers reported by the CDC. Ohio (15,900 CDC vs 11,500 state) Kentucky (5,020 CDC vs 3,920 state) Missouri (8,318 vs 7,688) Nebraska (2,433 vs 1,952) Oklahoma (5,393 vs 3,681) Wisconsin (6,804 vs 5,992) are some notable examples. OH and OK stand out in particular (40% undercount???).

CDC now shows 550k all cause excess mortality since last year.

When you compare the numbers on state dashboards compared for actual death certificate data reported by the CDC via the National Center for Health Statistics, some states have noticeably higher numbers reported by the CDC. Ohio (15,900 CDC vs 11,500 state) Kentucky (5,020 CDC vs 3,920 state) Missouri (8,318 vs 7,688) Nebraska (2,433 vs 1,952) Oklahoma (5,393 vs 3,681) Wisconsin (6,804 vs 5,992) are some notable examples. OH and OK stand out in particular (40% undercount???). CDC now shows 550k all cause excess mortality since last year. 

The truthers would say this is a combination of a massive uptick in suicide and a bunch of older people with co-morbidities all decided to die in one year 

ab1132fb2ad1d1fde6c2b2e938801f8d.jpg&key=6fab1fb31f393b2839ed08a4c4bd3735fa7d8220b67115aee35b6d3dffe485f5 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The truthers would say this is a combination of a massive uptick in suicide and all the older people with co-morbidities decided to die all in one yearab1132fb2ad1d1fde6c2b2e938801f8d.jpg&key=6fab1fb31f393b2839ed08a4c4bd3735fa7d8220b67115aee35b6d3dffe485f5

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There's always going to be people out there who deny the existence.  It is particularly insulting to those who have died/become very ill and those of us who know someone who falls into that group.  There's room to debate best policies on how to deal with all of the effects of the pandemic, but ffs, don't deny its existence.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There's always going to be people out there who deny the existence.  It is particularly insulting to those who have died/become very ill and those of us who know someone who falls into that group.  There's room to debate best policies on how to deal with all of the effects of the pandemic, but ffs, don't deny its existence.

There will always been a group that will deny anything, just like there are people that deny AIDS, the moon landing, etc.

There is no question when everything started in January, a lot of regular people though this would go the way of SARS, MERS or at worst the swine flu. They assumed with modern medicine and better access to information you would never see another epidemic in this country with this level mortality in a short time frame. In reality we just got lucky with the 3 cases I mentioned. SARS didn't spread unless someone was already fairly sick, MERS has a low transmission rate and the swine flu had a much lower mortality rate than Covid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Welp after nearly a year entirely working from home, I've been instructed to begin returning to the office starting next Tuesday. Will be weird to actually be in dress pants daily, but feels somewhat normal I suppose. Also will have to start traveling (not by plane) as well

Just wait until the first office outbreak and you'll be back at home in no time ;)

Around here, still a blanket instruction for all citizens that if they can work from home, they should be doing so. Our office doesn't foresee a return until mid-summer, maybe even September (when most people should be vaccinated).

• Like 1

Just wait until the first office outbreak and you'll be back at home in no time
Around here, still a blanket instruction for all citizens that if they can work from home, they should be doing so. Our office doesn't foresee a return until mid-summer, maybe even September (when most people should be vaccinated).

Well my boss caught it before Christmas and a few others did as well in the Fall so they’re immune at the moment. Big concern is some projects have completely fallen apart & they’ve caught people nationally who are working half days and collecting a check.
  • Weenie 1