• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

Thinking 3 to 5 is still a good bet for raleigh. Don't see much yet that wold alter the forecast. 

The Weather Channel just said very unlikely to get more than 1" in Raleigh. They said a dusting to 1".

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Thinking 3 to 5 is still a good bet for raleigh. Don't see much yet that wold alter the forecast. 

Starting off with frozen precip is a solid beginning.

• Thanks 1

I think RDU is wrong on the later start. IMO the later the better, as it gives more time for the dry air to filter in. There will be some pretty epic temperature drops over central/eastern NC as the column moistens later this afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snownado said:

The Weather Channel just said very unlikely to get more than 1" in Raleigh. They said a dusting to 1".

Seriously... The weather channel?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

I think RDU is wrong on the later start. IMO the later the better, as it gives more time for the dry air to filter in. There will be some pretty epic temperature drops over central/eastern NC as the column moistens later this afternoon.

It went from 43 to 38 in a heavy sleet shower on my lunch break, once the consistent heavier precip fires up the surface will crash, that combined with a setting sun will put most of us under the mod to heavy snow at or below 32 IMO....

Just now, downeastnc said:

It went from 43 to 38 in a heavy sleet shower on my lunch break, once the consistent heavier precip fires up the surface will crash, that combined with a setting sun will put most of us under the mod to heavy snow at or below 32 IMO....

Agreed. I think youre sitting pretty for the sweet spot. Some of the meso' models have 8 or 9 inches in that general Greenville area.

• Like 1

It's too bad temps are not colder for this event. I wonder if Raleigh will even get to 32 while snow is falling. Looks like a sloppy 33-34 slush event.

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Seriously... The weather channel?

You might not have heard of them, but they’re a pretty big deal in waiting rooms and nursing homes.

Snow has picked up a little north of GSO.  Temp down to 39.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

You might not have heard of them, but they’re a pretty big deal in waiting rooms and nursing homes.

Snow has picked up a little north of GSO.  Temp down to 39.

I grew up in Brown Summit. Never heard of Center Grove

Just now, CaryWx said:

How believable is the HRRR?  Seems to be trending better for central-eastern NC

It has really been all over the place. It still fails to get surface temps each run. 

7 minutes ago, jtgus said:

I grew up in Brown Summit. Never heard of Center Grove

It’s the name of the old township between Brown Summit and Summerfield.  A few businesses around there still use the name in their titles.  Unfortunately, the days of referencing township names has long passed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, phishbfm said:

HRRR recent trend...

trend-hrrr-2020022018-f013.sn10_acc.us_ma.gif

18z is waaaay better for us in the norther CLT suburbs. Seems to be showing less of a lee side minimum.... time will tell if it is on to something

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

18z is waaaay better for us in the norther CLT suburbs. Seems to be showing less of a lee side minimum.... time will tell if it is on to something

It's gotta be on crazy pills. Northern burbs over-perform southern/eastern burbs 97% of the time.

Still learning so please be easy on me but when the temps are above freezing don’t you need low humidity?  It’s been rapidly rising over the last couple hours in Raleigh so I’m confused.

6 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Looks like it’s tryin to find snow globe Roxboro to max out. 

Took me from 1.5" this morning to 8" now! Chesapeake, VA 

Is that the coastal kicking precip all the way back to GSO and CLT on the HRRR or is it from the first batch? Sorry in the middle of something and can't look for myself.