• Member Statistics

    15,843
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
    Joined
Tar Heel Snow

One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

Thinking 3 to 5 is still a good bet for raleigh. Don't see much yet that wold alter the forecast. 

The Weather Channel just said very unlikely to get more than 1" in Raleigh. They said a dusting to 1".

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Thinking 3 to 5 is still a good bet for raleigh. Don't see much yet that wold alter the forecast. 

Starting off with frozen precip is a solid beginning.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think RDU is wrong on the later start. IMO the later the better, as it gives more time for the dry air to filter in. There will be some pretty epic temperature drops over central/eastern NC as the column moistens later this afternoon.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snownado said:

The Weather Channel just said very unlikely to get more than 1" in Raleigh. They said a dusting to 1".

Seriously... The weather channel?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

I think RDU is wrong on the later start. IMO the later the better, as it gives more time for the dry air to filter in. There will be some pretty epic temperature drops over central/eastern NC as the column moistens later this afternoon.

It went from 43 to 38 in a heavy sleet shower on my lunch break, once the consistent heavier precip fires up the surface will crash, that combined with a setting sun will put most of us under the mod to heavy snow at or below 32 IMO....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, downeastnc said:

It went from 43 to 38 in a heavy sleet shower on my lunch break, once the consistent heavier precip fires up the surface will crash, that combined with a setting sun will put most of us under the mod to heavy snow at or below 32 IMO....

Agreed. I think youre sitting pretty for the sweet spot. Some of the meso' models have 8 or 9 inches in that general Greenville area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too bad temps are not colder for this event. I wonder if Raleigh will even get to 32 while snow is falling. Looks like a sloppy 33-34 slush event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Seriously... The weather channel?

You might not have heard of them, but they’re a pretty big deal in waiting rooms and nursing homes.

Snow has picked up a little north of GSO.  Temp down to 39.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

You might not have heard of them, but they’re a pretty big deal in waiting rooms and nursing homes.

Snow has picked up a little north of GSO.  Temp down to 39.

I grew up in Brown Summit. Never heard of Center Grove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaryWx said:

How believable is the HRRR?  Seems to be trending better for central-eastern NC

It has really been all over the place. It still fails to get surface temps each run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jtgus said:

I grew up in Brown Summit. Never heard of Center Grove

It’s the name of the old township between Brown Summit and Summerfield.  A few businesses around there still use the name in their titles.  Unfortunately, the days of referencing township names has long passed.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phishbfm said:

HRRR recent trend...

 

trend-hrrr-2020022018-f013.sn10_acc.us_ma.gif

18z is waaaay better for us in the norther CLT suburbs. Seems to be showing less of a lee side minimum.... time will tell if it is on to something

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

18z is waaaay better for us in the norther CLT suburbs. Seems to be showing less of a lee side minimum.... time will tell if it is on to something

It's gotta be on crazy pills. Northern burbs over-perform southern/eastern burbs 97% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still learning so please be easy on me but when the temps are above freezing don’t you need low humidity?  It’s been rapidly rising over the last couple hours in Raleigh so I’m confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Looks like it’s tryin to find snow globe Roxboro to max out. 

Took me from 1.5" this morning to 8" now! Chesapeake, VA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that the coastal kicking precip all the way back to GSO and CLT on the HRRR or is it from the first batch? Sorry in the middle of something and can't look for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.