Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Snowstorm

Snowstorms

Just now, Hoosier said:

Don't be trying to get Malacka's hopes up now.

My hopes are currently touring the the ISS. 

(In all seriousness, I know the chances. I just hope that if I'm overly optimistic about every storm, then when I eventually guess one right I will be remembered as the god of snowstorms :) )

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Probably one of the best spread the wealth systems all season if it pans out.

Isn't it crazy we are saying things like this literally less than 48 hours before flakes fly. Anyone who pimps out that models are better now needs to look at this winter deeply.

• Like 6

If the ECMWF and NCEP idea comes to pass, the snow on Thursday stands to be well above average ratios as the cold air mass deepens over the region. Forecast soundings are showing the DGZ increasing to 200 to 300 mb deep, or as deep as 7kft+. GFS in particular has the DGZ almost down to the ground and up to 700 mb. Progged lift is modest during this time but the high ratios would compensate.

I'm also becoming more interested in the lake enhancement to lake effect component for northwest Indiana. Very good air mass with 850 mb temps down around -18 to -19C over the lake Thursday night and some of the models slowly pivoting the lake induced convergence axis. Inversion heights near 8kft, 850 mb to lake delta T around 20C and at or above 400 j/kg of lake induced CAPE could support heavy rates with > 20:1 ratios in the band.

Edit: Need an@Hoosier take on the lake effect side of things

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

If the ECMWF and NCEP idea comes to pass, the snow on Thursday stands to be well above average ratios as the cold air mass deepens over the region. Forecast soundings are showing the DGZ increasing to 200 to 300 mb deep, or as deep as 7kft+. GFS in particular has the DGZ almost down to the ground and up to 700 mb. Progged lift is modest during this time but the high ratios would compensate.

I'm also becoming more interested in the lake enhancement to lake effect component for northwest Indiana. Very good air mass with 850 mb temps down around -18 to -19C over the lake Thursday night and some of the models slowly pivoting the lake induced convergence axis. Inversion heights near 8kft, 850 mb to lake delta T around 20C and at or above 400 j/kg of lake induced CAPE could support heavy rates with > 20:1 ratios in the band.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aren’t bands in that type of setup pretty narrow?

23 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Edit: Need an@Hoosier take on the lake effect side of things emoji3.png

I have not really dug into it to be honest, because it has looked like the flow would back enough to send it east of here before the better thermodynamics are in place. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I have not really dug into it to be honest, because it has looked like the flow would back enough to send it east of here before the better thermodynamics are in place. 

Watch the bands set up between us...wouldn’t be sure whether to laugh or cry. 

• Like 1

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING IN A LONG DURATION ACCUMULATING SNOW  
EVENT FOR THE CWA STARTING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND ENDING DURING  
THE DAY ON THURSDAY. THERE IS NOW BETTER OPERATIONAL AND ENSEMBLE  
AGREEMENT IN THE MID AND UPPER LEVEL PATTERN EVOLUTION.....RC/LOT

27 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Overnight runs were lame, this is gonna be another dud. Graze job miss south, lull, 1 hour of cotton balls thurs am.

Yep. Good luck Shampoo banana,  Indy, and Cleveland. 1-2" here on northern fringe again. Knew models couldnt help but click back SE and weaken some. Always that slight readjustment.

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Yep. Good luck Shampoo banana,  Indy, and Cleveland. 1-2" here on northern fringe again

don't disagree with the sharp gradient on the NW edge;"LOWER CONFIDENCE IN FAR NORTH/NORTHWEST CWA WHERE LESS   
FAVORABLE SYNOPTIC EVOLUTION COULD YIELD AFOREMENTIONED SHARPER   
CUT-OFF IN PRECIP SHIELD.," as LOT alludes too. But fairly solid 3-5" totals thorugh a good chunk of the metro. Ratio's should help. Areas south and east may get the bonus qpf, but with lower ratios. 

EQfhJyCWoAA-Vhv.jpeg

• Like 1