Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Snowstorm

Snowstorms

Just now, Stebo said:

The Euro I believe is too far south with the low, just too wonky with the track with a couple turns east through the day on Wednesday. It is struggling with convection created vorticity and not latching to the main trough ejecting out of the plains itself.

Yea it's evolution is definitely odd. I do believe heavier swath could lay somewhere between I70 and I72 but I'm also skeptical of that with marginal temps the more south you get

Man, I do a little work this morning and come back to the “storm canceled” news.

Instead of storm threads maybe we simply need a locked sticky with A-L-E-K’s day 5 call so we can save us some time. Sure the dude has bust high all winter but it’s better than the models

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

as we watch prospects for a phased noteworthy storm follow the season trends to duster city, maybe we can salvage the transient weenie death band for some brief +sn action thursday morning, guidance really hinting at an odd band moving down the lake like a squall line

18 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It's along the Arctic front.

14 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

$$$

Arctic front makes Joe's call money and Alek's bust.

ORD's loss is our gain. However, seasonal trends dictate that WAA will be stronger than progged and instead a possible 6", Jackstraw and I get contaminated with ZR and IP during the heaviest precip overnight Wed. and get a slopfest, ending with a coating of fluff as temps bottom drops out.

Realistically though, the 12km NAM, the Canadian, and the WRFs all agree with the Euro, which puts even me on the north edge of an I-70 storm, which is still good for 2-3".

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_47.png

7 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Arctic front makes Joe's call money and Alek's bust.

ORD's loss is our gain. However, seasonal trends dictate that WAA will be stronger than progged and instead a possible 6", Jackstraw and I get contaminated with ZR and IP during the heaviest precip overnight Wed. and get a slopfest, ending with a coating of fluff as temps bottom drops out.

Realistically though, the 12km NAM, the Canadian, and the WRFs all agree with the Euro, which puts even me on the north edge of an I-70 storm, which is still good for 2-3".

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_47.png

Tricky call around I-70 corridor.  Very likely what is shown on the snow maps doesn't pan out.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Tricky call around I-70 corridor.  Very likely what is shown on the snow maps doesn't pan out.

True. To be more precise, several models depict just north of I-70 as ground zero, north of contamination. There is also a fairly wide swath of 2-5" north of there. Heck, you're probably good for 4".

1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It's looking like maybe an inch here.  Our snow season was well on track for avg to a bit above avg snowfall, but it has kinda petered out.  Hopefully, some others can get something decent from the latest sheared-out system.

We'll always have Halloween 2019 lol.:guitar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It's looking like maybe an inch here.  Our snow season was well on track for avg to a bit above avg snowfall, but it has kinda petered out.  Hopefully, some others can get something decent from the latest sheared-out system.

Thoughts and prayers appreciated. 2 to 4 seems like a solid bet here. Then we'll see how far east the lake effect band sets up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

18z nam gives me some hope. Warms me to 35 by midday then starts the plunge. Keeps precip all snow. Obviously accumulations will be limited at first with marginal temps and very low ratios but should improve come Wed evening and overnight 

The dreaded sun angle will hurt daytime accums also. Remember it's Mid Feb not Mid Jan.

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

18z nam gives me some hope. Warms me to 35 by midday then starts the plunge. Keeps precip all snow. Obviously accumulations will be limited at first with marginal temps and very low ratios but should improve come Wed evening and overnight 

Ratios are not going to be anything special until very early Thursday morning into the day on Thursday.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Ratios are not going to be anything special until very early Thursday morning into the day on Thursday.

Like with every storm this winter I'm grasping for straws. Probably another dud in the making. Man I miss real winter storms that keep trending well in the short range instead of giving you false hope a few days out then trending back downward

• Thanks 1

IWX issues advisory for 3 to 5 inches across their entire CWA. 

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM EST /NOON CST/ WEDNESDAY TO 1 PM EST /NOON CST/ THURSDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches. * WHERE...Portions of northern Indiana, southwest Michigan and northwest Ohio. * WHEN...From 1 PM EST /noon CST/ Wednesday to 1 PM EST /noon CST/ Thursday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the Thursday morning commute. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow may briefly mix with light freezing rain after midnight Wednesday night for areas along and south of US Highway 24. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Technical question...Why did LOT issue the advisory for ILX? I won't post the entire wording but I was curious about this. Is it a glitch or is ILX at a retreat this week :) 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Lincoln IL
Issued by National Weather Service Chicago IL
240 PM CST Tue Feb 11 2020
  • Haha 2