Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Heh. 1-3” mostly. But quite a bit of ice in that...

Wet bulbs are pretty low the next 2 days. Tuesday will probably be a net gain here too. I mean, if you start getting open spots in your pack with sun the next 2 days maybe it starts to erode a little quicker, but this isn't exactly a pack decimating pattern...especially for mid Feb.

1 hour ago, klw said:

Someone posted a map with Dennis at 922 yesterday?  Was that the lowest it got?

That Storm was modeled well and guidance isn’t really forcing a big ridge there at the moment. I’m not sure something will miraculously change on guidance, but the massive +AO vortex will weaken a bit later this month. 

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dennis ?

kN1VUEph_bigger.png

A pattern change? Possibly in early March per @NWSCPC  3-4 week outlook w/Alaska trending to a warmer pattern & Northeast (#MA #RI #CT) to a colder pattern. Possible culprit? Powerful cyclone (920 mb!) near Iceland yesterday with #hurricane winds may contribute to a pattern change

4 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

Ok, I'll take this deal.

Hold onto existing snow pack and add to it this week a bit, then get a 2 week period of snow and cold end of month and first 10 days of March.  Then a melt out and peas in the garden by April 1.  

i was out on the snowmobile up your way yesterday. Trailered to Depot St then jumped on the rail trail and headed up towards Lebanon. Tons of sled traffic, but the trail was awesome. very convenient spot to trailer to.

I don’t see how this storm is any different than normal subseasonal stuff that results in pattern changes. Sounds like an easy way to point a finger, but it’s probably more complicated then one storm. I also caution how far out we are....pattern changes aren’t a complete lock....or should I say a favorable pattern change for us, is not a complete lock. 

• Like 4

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don’t see how this storm is any different than normal subseasonal stuff that results in pattern changes. Sounds like an easy way to point a finger, but it’s probably more complicated then one storm. I also caution how far out we are....pattern changes aren’t a complete lock....or should I say a favorable pattern change for us, is not a complete lock. 

There are 50  shades (patterns) of suck for the coast , so maybe we land on a decent one for more than a week period 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i was out on the snowmobile up your way yesterday. Trailered to Depot St then jumped on the rail trail and headed up towards Lebanon. Tons of sled traffic, but the trail was awesome. very convenient spot to trailer to.

surprised there was enough snow down towards Boscawen.  The trails just near my property by Walker Pond are groomed but it looks like 8 inches or so.  But glad you're riding!  The rail trail is awesome all seasons.

25 minutes ago, SnowBrosForever said:
kN1VUEph_bigger.png

A pattern change? Possibly in early March per @NWSCPC  3-4 week outlook w/Alaska trending to a warmer pattern & Northeast (#MA #RI #CT) to a colder pattern. Possible culprit? Powerful cyclone (920 mb!) near Iceland yesterday with #hurricane winds may contribute to a pattern change

AWMFT, let’s go. 

31 minutes ago, SnowBrosForever said:
kN1VUEph_bigger.png

ao.sprd2.gif

AO remains in enemy territory so maybe a pattern change but one that is another version of suck for winter fans.

Nah ... singular events can relate, but they don't drive pattern changes... Typically that interpretation has that bass-ackwards - the pattern begins to change, and THAT triggers the 'restoration event'

That's also the basis behind the H. Archembault statistical science, too.  Big events happen at inflection points in large mass-field paradigm shifts.  Not always, but tend to...

So, a 920 mb low near Iceland probably doesn't hurt to 'mix things out' a bit .. but the persistent +AO cannot last forever, and we are definitely nearing the typical age of pattern mortality - they usually don't last more than 45 ...may 60 days, before some new paradigm sets in. The happenstance of the Icelandic low is iffy-related at best..  Sometimes the new look bears vestige/echo of old, but will still be observably different in a few ways. Other times, the whole scale appeal is more coherently changed.  What makes this [ possible ] pattern seam interesting ( for me ) is that it is happening on top of the typical season ending blocking climo.  The two together is a kind of constructive interference. 

The AO there is (firstly) subject to change that far out in time. Particularly per my own experience, when it camel-humps in-between, too - that's not lending confidence to the farther extended framework when mean has to handle complex modulation in the foreground.  ... But, it may be more important that there is a concerted agreement among the members to shift the index mode from +5 or even +6 standard deviations, all the way down to a stones through of neutral ( 0 ) just in general.  That is tremendous absolute value correction - and if/when in tandem with a better performing NP-/EPO and PNA rolling up underneath, there's a lot of room for more active pattern guesswork and plausible late season cold deliveries at that. 

But lets get the super position in time of the +AO correction with it's concomitant relaxation integrated flow together with the early March climo thing, first... It doesn't have to wait that long, either. In fact, the GGEM and Euro were already deflating the flow by D8 or 9 off their 0z depictions.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wet bulbs are pretty low the next 2 days. Tuesday will probably be a net gain here too. I mean, if you start getting open spots in your pack with sun the next 2 days maybe it starts to erode a little quicker, but this isn't exactly a pack decimating pattern...especially for mid Feb.

Agree on dews. But I’m leaning slightly warmer vs guidance the next several days. I also think Tuesday, aside from perhaps a negligible frozen start, will be a rain event here.