Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, 87storms said:

lol based off of some of the other conversations i've read all winter, i think i'm being real tame.  also, i'm just speaking facts...or at least i try to.

the funny part is i never even said man made climate change...i just said global warming and then someone assumed i was indicating it's all man made.  fact of the matter is that it's been warmer the last couple years.  that was my point and that it might take time to break that type of a pattern.

The one thing I have learned is that these are two topics that better left off these boards. Seen some pretty nasty dustups over the years. Kind of ruins the enjoyment.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

The one thing I have learned is that these are two topics that better left off these boards. Seen some pretty nasty dustups over the years. Kind of ruins the enjoyment.

oh trust me, i'm too much of a veteran at this point to get into keyboard warrior mma lol.  i wasn't even trying to spark that type of a debate.  i was legit stating facts that (1) it's been warmer the last couple years and (2) the right (which by the way, many of my family members are) are very, very stuck in their ways/mindsets.  (2) can be taken as a zinger, but it's really not.  just speaking truths from my own experiences.

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I'll tell you what happens...in Jackson Hole...

Still not too late...couple flights left to Idaho Falls....

And keep in mind these are 10-1 ratios...JH will probably be closer to 15-1 in town and 20-1 on the mountain...if not higher than that.   

Jackson.thumb.png.92eced3cf35f7e57ce168917d7356899.png

I know that you’re probably joking, but just in case, I just read an article a few days ago about how Jackson Hole is severely overcrowded as a result of the Ikon pass. No parking and super long lines for the trams.

It would still be cool to go just for the record snow.

30 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i haven't paid attention to the water table, but it might be needed.  ground seemed fairly dry when i went biking the other day...more so than in recent weeks.

It's pretty much recharged here over the past few months since the drought. Easy to tell by the ditches and in the areas with heavy soil- water table breaks the surface and just ponds there until Spring. If the forecasted 2-3" materializes it will be pretty wet around here.

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

On a serious note, I actually ran the numbers a few years ago in a purely statistical analysis (no pattern or actual forecasts just from the numbers) and there is no predictive value for snowfall from one year to the next.  The illusion that we are more likely to get snow after bad years is perception and confirmation bias.  Yes...going into or looking back at any period LONG runs of anomalously good or bad snowfall is unlikely simply because getting an anomaly to happen multiple times in a row is unlikely.  But once one year is over...regardless of the outcome, the odds of getting more or less snowfall the following year is not changed at all.  Think of it like a coin toss.  The odds of getting 5 heads in a row is about 3%.  So before starting the process the odds of 5 heads is very very low.  BUT...once you have flipped 4 heads in a row the odds of getting that 5th is still 50/50.  The odds of that last flip is NOT affected by the first 4.  Snowfall is like that.

Now that is purely from a statistical analysis.  There are some multi year patterns like the NAO that can stack the odds of multiple years, but even those things only move the needle a little bit as you can get a -NAO year in the midst of a long term +NAO cycle...or you can get a year like 2014 with a lot of snow without a -NAO.  But right now its impossible to predict patterns next year anyways.  Enso/NAO/PDO...all could go in any direction by next year.  NAO is definitely in a + cycle but the fact we are near solar minimum would increase the chances of a long term phase flip sometime soon... 

I am pretty sure you were just making a half joking post but I wanted to post this since I actually ran the numbers a while ago and there is absolutely no truth to the "were due" index either good or bad.  

I 100% agree. I can't really argue it because you nailed it.  This was something I was going to say during our climo argument but just never really got to it. Plus you kind of tossed in the "atmospheric memory" stuff which made me doubt myself.

That being said, stats still have meaning, and the odds of getting a year with less than the .6 inches we have here in Delaware (assuming we don't get anymore snow), and having it be back to back, has to got to be astronomically low. Could it happen? Sure. Aliens could also technically show up at my house too.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It's pretty much recharged here over the past few months since the drought. Easy to tell by the ditches and in the areas with heavy soil- water table breaks the surface and just ponds there until Spring. If the forecasted 2-3" materializes it will be pretty wet around here.

Hmm, yea I guess I just expected it to be more damp/muddy, though a flood watch also implies the ground is already saturated so maybe it was just drier at the surface where I was biking (northern moco).

31 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Hmm, yea I guess I just expected it to be more damp/muddy, though a flood watch also implies the ground is already saturated so maybe it was just drier at the surface where I was biking (northern moco).

Well it's somewhat different up there with more elevation and a better drained red clay/rocky soil.

Over here the upland and lowland(poorly drained) soils are not separated much in elevation. Thus the generally high water table.

eta- Speaking of the upper eastern shore. The lower shore, although even flatter, has much less heavy clay, is more sandy, and drains better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Well it's somewhat different up there with more elevation and a better drained red clay/rocky soil.

Over here the upland and lowland(poorly drained) soils are not separated much in elevation. Thus the generally high water table.

eta- Speaking of the upper eastern shore. The lower shore, although even flatter, has much less heavy clay, is more sandy, and drains better.

It's a mud pit in many areas of moco. The strip between the sidewalk and road in front of my house is a mess. My favorite mountain bike trails have been a mess since early Jan. Frozen ground fixes that quickly but what the hell is frozen ground? Haven't seen that since early Dec...

It's going to take a looong time to dry out after the next 3 days. It's actually kinda depressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a mud pit in many areas of moco. The strip between the sidewalk and road in front of my house is a mess. My favorite mountain bike trails have been a mess since early Jan. Frozen ground fixes that quickly but what the hell is frozen ground? Haven't seen that since early Dec...

Yeah frozen soil has been sparse. Love it, but man hard to come by this year. I take a stroll in my yard and my shoes come off and stay out on the deck for a while.

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's going to take a looong time to dry out after the next 3 days. It's actually kinda depressing.

schaeffer was actually closed monday due to wet/muddy conditions (which was annoying), so i went to black hill west and truth be told, it was fairly dry lol.  sounds like i might have just lucked out.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic