Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

calling the NFL "family programming" is lol.  Open mics catch swear words and its a sport all about beating the piss out of the other.  

I took my son to a skins game when he was 8. All he talked about on the way home is how crazy drunk people act and he heard more "bad words" in 4 hours than he has in his life. I knew this going in so it didn't bug me one bit but the NFL isn't family friendly if you're worried about profanity, fights, and overall poor behavior all around. Been that way since I went to my first skins game in 1979. I took him to see a Nats game and he asked "why do players grab their pee pee all the time? and that spitting constantly is kinda gross". I had to stifle laughter as I "explained how it is". 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I took my son to a skins game when he was 8. All he talked about on the way home is how crazy drunk people act and he heard more "bad words" in 4 hours than he has in his life. I knew this going in so it didn't bug me one bit but the NFL isn't family friendly if you're worried about profanity, fights, and overall poor behavior all around. Been that way since I went to my first skins game in 1979. I took him to see a Nats game and he asked "why do players grab their pee pee all the time? and that spitting constantly is kinda gross". I had to stifle laughter as I "explained how it is". 

Kids are awesome when they're young...so many great stories of my son when he first started talking 

• Like 1

Hopefully this doesn't offend but one story about my boy I'll never forget he was just starting to really put his words together and he walks out into the living room naked and says look daddy my tee tee is happy...uh oh...now it's sad. 

Needless to say I still laugh my arse off today with that one

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Kids are awesome when they're young...so many great stories of my son when he first started talking 

They are. I've been lucky with all 4 of my kids in their teens. Very open about stuff. Some of what they tell me bothers the F out of me but there's no stopping a 15+ year old from learning by experience. My 23 year olds still talk really open with me about some really difficult stuff. Being a friend AND a parent is really stinkin hard sometimes but it's the only way to get intel and hopefully avoid a disaster. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Hopefully this doesn't offend but one story about my boy I'll never forget he was just starting to really put his words together and he walks out into the living room naked and says look daddy my tee tee is happy...uh oh...now it's sad. 

our 7-year old is starting to become more self conscious of her body. up to this point we could walk around in varied states of undress and she didn't care. now she covers up just running from the bedroom to the bathroom before a bath/shower. Kids.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mappy said:

our 7-year old is starting to become more self conscious of her body. up to this point we could walk around in varied states of undress and she didn't care. now she covers up just running from the bedroom to the bathroom before a bath/shower. Kids.

Oh you're just starting with the fun...my 23 yr old boy and 19 yr old daughter still provide me with every emotion available 

18 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Hopefully you're trotting that tale out when he brings his girlfriend/SO/spouse around...

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Oh I have many times :)

When my two 6'+ sons in their early and mid 20s start to "feeling their oats," poking at my dad-bod, or mocking my dad-jokes, I casually remind them (usually in front of their friends/girlfriends) that they both had Teletubbie dolls when they were toddlers.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Oh you're just starting with the fun...my 23 yr old boy and 19 yr old daughter still provide me with every emotion available 

thankfully she isn't shy around me. just daddy lol 

if she is anything like me growing up, i only have myself to blame for creating her :lol:

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Oh I have many times :) but that's mostly to get back at him for using my beard trimmers to manscape.

Oh... is that not their use ;) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Until the kid says they hate blizzards and tropical. Then I’d have no choice than to disown them and start over.

I'm lucky.  The wx bug rubbed off on both daughters.  They almost demand that we jebwalk whenever it snows.  sadly that isn't happening a lot this winter.  But during the summer while at the beach I had both of them out with me and we watched a sweet thunderstorm roll across the bay.  They loved every second of it seeing the colors and clouds and all that.  

The boy is totally indifferent to most weather other than what closes school.

• Like 1

@Bob Chill have you heard anything wrt if Jackson Hole has really become as bad as some people say with lift lines?  I am deciding between there or Aspen as my final choices and kind of want to hit up Jackson but there has been chatter from locals that’s the crowds are insane since the Icon pass started. But I know sometimes they exaggerate to keep people away. I don’t mind some lines but definitely don’t need to waste my one ski trip this year waiting in 45 min + lift lines. Have you heard anything from friends our west?  Thanks. 

ETA: anyone else with knowledge please chime in 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill have you heard anything wrt if Jackson Hole has really become as bad as some people say with lift lines?  I am deciding between there or Aspen as my final choices and kind of want to hit up Jackson but there has been chatter from locals that’s the crowds are insane since the Icon pass started. But I know sometimes they exaggerate to keep people away. I don’t mind some lines but definitely don’t need to waste my one ski trip this year waiting in 45 min + lift lines. Have you heard anything from friends our west?  Thanks. 

ETA: anyone else with knowledge please chime in 

I road tripped there 4 different times and it was only after big snowfalls so it was naturally more crowded. The only lift line that was horrible was the tram. You can get to the same place through a series of lifts. I absolutely love Jackson Hole. The terrain, snow conditions, and vertical drop are one of the best in the country. When do you plan on going? If it's not over president's day or spring break march madness it should be less crowded than any resort within 2 hours of Denver. With 4k' of vertical you get all the possible different snow conditions on a top to bottom run. I was there in March once and deep powder at the top. Spring/sierra powder in the middle, and straight up spring corn/potatoes in the lower sections. Each condition offers unique opportunities. I can't think of any resort in CO that is like that. Maybe Aspen highlands. Steamboat is a no go for me in March. Powder doesn't stay powder for long due to low elevation. Top of Mt Werner is only around 10k'. A basin's bottom is the same height. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

And just to be clear. My post was in response to the social media blitz that's been running non stop since the halftime show. It's ugly... I was in no way singling you (or anyone) out with my post. Divisive issues are a mainstay in the US. It's part of the heartbeat of the country and has been that way for a long as I've been alive. I really wish differing opinions on many issues had a middle ground but they never (or rarely) do unfortunately. 

Yup - agree on all points.  Couldn't agree more with the desire for a more middle-ground approach to things.  Like Ronnie used to do with both sides of the isle in Congress.  I remember mandatory desegregation busing in the 60's, to include some pretty infamous riots, the debate over Elvis and his stint on Ed Sullivan, Woodstock, the draft, pot, abortion, etc.  All very emotional for man and many of those topics still are.  But it seems worse now than ever.  My family and I returned from an extended stint overseas immediately prior to Obama's election and the divisive nature of our culture took us back and seems to have gone downhill further in the last 10 years. 

I've learned a lot from reading this thread, the length of which underscores how dire our winter weather situation has become.  If we just had something/anything to track, would conjure a guess we would have all let this one die a long time ago - me too.  Hard to contemplate a good ole Jeb walk when it's nearly 70F outside...

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I road tripped there 4 different times and it was only after big snowfalls so it was naturally more crowded. The only lift line that was horrible was the tram. You can get to the same place through a series of lifts. I absolutely love Jackson Hole. The terrain, snow conditions, and vertical drop are one of the best in the country. When do you plan on going? If it's not over president's day or spring break march madness it should be less crowded than any resort within 2 hours of Denver. With 4k' of vertical you get all the possible different snow conditions on a top to bottom run. I was there in March once and deep powder at the top. Spring/sierra powder in the middle, and straight up spring corn/potatoes in the lower sections. Each condition offers unique opportunities. I can't think of any resort in CO that is like that. Maybe Aspen highlands. Steamboat is a no go for me in March. Powder doesn't stay powder for long due to low elevation. Top of Mt Werner is only around 10k'. A basin's bottom is the same height. 

Actually thinking THIS weekend. It looks like most of the Rockies are getting dumped this week. With so many going Pres week I thought the weekend before shouldn’t be as bad. I haven’t been to Jackson in many years and when I went I was recovering from an injury and took it easy. Never made it into some of the better terrain. I love the trees at Aspen and Snowmass too though. Both look to get a lot of snow but Jackson stays colder. Aspen might warm up some next weekend and lead to crud. Jackson looks to stay north of the front. But I’ve heard the last couple years crowds have become crazy there. 

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually thinking THIS weekend. It looks like most of the Rockies are getting dumped this week. With so many going Pres week I thought the weekend before shouldn’t be as bad. I haven’t been to Jackson in many years and when I went I was recovering from an injury and took it easy. Never made it into some of the better terrain. I love the trees at Aspen and Snowmass too though. Both look to get a lot of snow but Jackson stays colder. Aspen might warm up some next weekend and lead to crud. Jackson looks to stay north of the front. But I’ve heard the last couple years crowds have become crazy there. 

This stuff is always a gamble. Weather is as annoyingly unpredictable in the rockies as it is here. If I were in your shoes I would probably go to CO but half of the reason is economics and convenience 

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This stuff is always a gamble. Weather is as annoyingly unpredictable in the rockies as it is here. If I were in your shoes I would probably go to CO but half of the reason is economics and convenience 

I was leaning Jackson but this has me spooked. Sounds awful...

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/resort-is-a-bit-buried-with-snow-crowds/article_b04fc131-9a96-56c6-a6ef-7714e621618d.html

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea man, I'd skip that scene. Jackson doesn't have much infrastructure to handle crowds. I know they've redone some of the base areas but the resort itself is a bit of a traffic/people choke. Kinda like stupid dumb Jiffy Lube Live in VA. lol. Shows are great. Leaving shows are AWFUL. haha

Jackson requires a direct flight unless you don't mind driving a long long way from Denver. I've never priced flights into Jackson but it has to be really expensive. I'm always budget conscious with trips. Spending $500+ per person for just airfare is against my personal rules. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I can’t wait to be a dad. I think I’d be great at it. 

I can see it now...Reaper, Jr.  "Hey Son, time to learn the family business.  I take bitter, sad weenie souls and bring them peace when it doesn't snow.  Here, you need some practice.  Let's try someone easy for you first...hmmmm, let's see what you can do with Ji!"

By the time he's grown up, imagine the kinds of gif images and other animation that might be available at that time!!  Make sure he (or she!) is up on the hospitality side too, if your new fancy Panic Room suites are to keep going!!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea man, I'd skip that scene. Jackson doesn't have much infrastructure to handle crowds. I know they've redone some of the base areas but the resort itself is a bit of a traffic/people choke. Kinda like stupid dumb Jiffy Lube Live in VA. lol. Shows are great. Leaving shows are AWFUL. haha

Jackson requires a direct flight unless you don't mind driving a long long way from Denver. I've never priced flights into Jackson but it has to be really expensive. I'm always budget conscious with trips. Spending $500+ per person for just airfare is against my personal rules. 

I think I’m going to try Jackson. I did a little more research and found that apparently the same happened in Aspen last year with the Icon and found similar articles and an npr piece saying the exact same thing about Aspen and Steamboat. I haven’t been out west much lately and it seems the new cheap passes have caused more crowds everywhere.  Plus I talked to one of the local reporters and apparently the crowds haven’t been nearly as bad this year. I guess year one everyone flooded in. Plus last year was an epic snow season after a bad one. I guess if I’m going to sit in a line I’d rather do it hitting off a bucket list item. I’ve already skid most of Colorado extensively.  The cost of a flight into Jackson is about 450 more but offset by better rates on hotels near JH than Aspen.  So in the end it’s only about 150 more to do JH. 

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

again, not family programming so your strawman is stupid.

Personally, I think the performers coming out dressed in Puritan-like outfits or something from the Victorian era would have been great!  Like back in the day when they thought the waltz was scandalous because you had to *touch* (gasp!) your partner and hold them close.  Fetch my fainting couch...and where are the smelling salts!!  (I think it was Winston Churchill who said something like dancing is the vertical expression of the horizontal urge??).

(Yes, that was all meant to be sarcastic!). :lol:

the fact that the LR thread covers a whole month and not mid month to mid month is already good vibes.  that was bothering me.  

also...went biking today.  ground was drier than i expected.  if it's not going to snow, then i'm ok with these periodic incredible weather days.

7 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I felt like a few of those moves might have been a bit much for family programming. Clearly the intent of it was SEX appeal and not just dancing. At what point do we want to show sexual stuff on family programming?

But to be honest. shakira came out, looked amazing, wikipedia, she is 43? I am 38 there is still hope! J Lo, looked great, back to wikipedia, 50? There is definitely hope! Getting older doesn't automatically equal falling apart.

Inspirational

Here you go again, obsessed with age and thinking people just fall apart at xx age.  You are stupid and I don't have a problem saying it.  Every year and every other post, it's the same sh*(t with you.

And anyway, it's too late for you.  So stop obsessing over it and grow old with as much grace as you can and stfu about ages and aging.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic