• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

I’ve been watching this time frame for a little while. We get this pseudo ridging in the middle of the country right as a NS vort is rounding the base of the trough sliding east.

Ive seen these small clippers that redevelop before. They usually redevelop off the EC too late for us due to the ridge axis and progressive nature of our troughs, but sometimes they slow down enough if the trough can dig a little deeper and upstream flow is slowed down with 50/50 of exiting coastal (storm before the storm) 

Something to keep an eye on for a 1-4” deal. Would sure brighten the mood

image.thumb.png.d2e5cf791ef0a4355e6bce0a4af93af2.png

31 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

I’ve been watching this time frame for a little while. We get this pseudo ridging in the middle of the country right as a NS vort is rounding the base of the trough sliding east.

Ive seen these small clippers that redevelop before. They usually redevelop off the EC too late for us due to the ridge axis and progressive nature of our troughs, but sometimes they slow down enough if the trough can dig a little deeper and upstream flow is slowed down with 50/50 of exiting coastal (storm before the storm) 

Something to keep an eye on for a 1-4” deal. Would sure brighten the mood

image.thumb.png.d2e5cf791ef0a4355e6bce0a4af93af2.png

Be careful with that look on the diving NS. That was the look that reeled me in at range for the system we are currently seeing run through now. As you can see now the NS ended up being more progressive and dropping into the States farther east then originally projected. 

eta: But I agree, I like the look as well if it can actually verify. Good drop placement and track to actually pop a good little event.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I heard through the grapevine that PSU is guaranteeing a reboot of the Storm of the Century. Hot damn, missed the first one because I lived in San Diego at the time. Can't wait to experience it first hand instead of just reading about it..

I just can’t resist when a mention of that storm comes up. Just got through reading and watching some video on it. We call it the storm of the century but it may well have been the storm of the millennium.

• Like 1

Besides Feb 93, when was the last time we had a good old fashioned gradient pattern with waves coming at us every 2 days?  Seems like every winter we look for overrunning gradient patterns - and sometimes the models tease us with them - but they rarely materialize.  The early 90s seemed to have a lot of gradient patterns though.

Just now, Inverted_Trough said:

Besides Feb 93, when was the last time we had a good old fashioned gradient pattern with waves coming at us every 2 days?  Seems like every winter we look for overrunning gradient patterns - and sometimes the models tease us with them - but they rarely materialize.  The early 90s seemed to have a lot of gradient patterns though.

Feb 2003, Dec 2013, Feb/mar 2014 all bore some resemblance. 

4 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

To me that’s the exact look of PDII.

Lets do that and then repeat March 1993 on March 13. Then let’s rate the winter lol

Almost.  But as I recall the wave/surface low in PD-II was not all that strong, it was by and large a huge overrunning event into very cold air.  And there was much better blocking in place for the high.  At any rate, as depicted here we hold on a remarkable amount of time to frozen/freezing, which is like PD-II in a way.  I know it's ridiculous to detail a single run 2 weeks out there (but still fun, and all we got right now!).

41 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The sequel is coming this March my friend. 

41 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Feb 2003, Dec 2013, Feb/mar 2014 all bore some resemblance. 

So...you're guaranteeing another Storm of the Century then, here in a new century now!!  You saw it here first (well, 2nd, JB beat you to the punch!!).

(Saying this all in jest, by the way, as I'm sure you know!!)

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Be careful with that look on the diving NS. That was the look that reeled me in at range for the system we are currently seeing run through now. As you can see now the NS ended up being more progressive and dropping into the States farther east then originally projected. 

eta: But I agree, I like the look as well if it can actually verify. Good drop placement and track to actually pop a good little event.

Yea, you’re right. And I don’t expect this to come to fruition. But I, like you, think the placement at 500mb looks like a great spot if something were to have enough space and strength to dig. 

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Gefs “caves” to EPS mid February. Shocking. Good news yes. That look is not a shutout one. But color me skeptical until we get it inside day 10. Yes it’s ok. And it’s a slight adjustment from good. But it’s also only a slight “seasonal” adjustment away from shutout again. 

This +1000.  We've been teased with better looks (or at least less bad looks) off and on for weeks.  Not going to get too excited.

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

There aren’t many examples.

The best examples of a March save in Baltimore are 1896 when only 4” fell before March then 13.8” in March. 

1931 only 3.4 then 10” in March. 

1942 only 4” then a 22” snow on March 30th

There are more examples of years where there was little snow before mid Feb then a lot after. And since mid Feb is still far enough out it’s plausible we get a snow that week these are still mathematical possible comps 

1914 nothing before Feb 13 then 23” after 

1924 2” before Feb 2/19 then 10.2/11.6/9.4 in Feb/mar/apr

1937 2.8 before 2/16 then 22.8 after

1960 1.8 until Feb 13 then 32” after 

1993 also had very little until mid feb then several small events and then March 93

Winter of 59-60 was a complete shutout at DCA through Feb 13th.  But what's also interesting is that there was a significantly negative AO/NAO throughout that winter, including the snowless December and January.  Eventually that negative AO paid off after mid-February.  But goes to show you that simply having a negative AO/NAO doesn't guarantee snow.

9 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Winter of 59-60 was a complete shutout at DCA through Feb 13th.  But what's also interesting is that there was a significantly negative AO/NAO throughout that winter, including the snowless December and January.  Eventually that negative AO paid off after mid-February.  But goes to show you that simply having a negative AO/NAO doesn't guarantee snow.

I'll take my chances every single time though.

• Like 1