• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WeatherArbordoctor
    Newest Member
    WeatherArbordoctor

January 18th Event

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Do they do this stuff in snowier locations? Like New England?

the did years ago in minnesota until they found out it was killing all their pine trees.  -  btw i hate pine trees. but i can’t stand what i’m seeing this liquid shit they spread on the roads. 

i’ve been in the gastation auto repair all my life.   look up and study rfg gasoline - and why every where it was served needs to be drilled to check for it’s negative effects on us.  

yeah don’t ask me because i already know the negative effects it had on me.   1990s save the world rfg.  yup. just like the beet ****ing joke. i mean juice.  

You can tell an event is blah if the primary topic of discussion in the event thread is the composition and deleterious effects of road deicing compound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry but I have to laugh, people complaining about salt on their cars but they love snow?? Just seems like they go hand and hand.. if you pressure wash your car, frame, engine etc. you're good to go. Not that big of deal, if you're upset because you feel your local govt is wasting money thank insurance companies. 

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

There's no doubt the flow looks a bit flatter over us on Saturday per Nams . This surely has directed a bit more juice in our direction. 

We all need more juice.  NAM loves the juice. I love the juice too! What to believe!?  I dunno. I’ll just drink my Other Half Brewing DIPAS and wait for the GooFuS. :drunk:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@psuhoffman mentioned earlier about the mid level winds direction and u can clearly see the trajectory is much better this run .

12k nam

PhotoPictureResizer_200116_220548552_crop_1204x2040.jpg

Been watching this, certainly not the quality look we were getting earlier in the week but things have been trending flatter/more flow up front pretty consistently. Here's the euro and nam over the past 48 hours.

b2504634-c785-456f-b7fc-e691591a73c3.gif

a0c16954-3fa3-43db-8fe7-8209ebfa864f.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

Sorry but I have to laugh, people complaining about salt on their cars but they love snow?? Just seems like they go hand and hand.. if you pressure wash your car, frame, engine etc. you're good to go. Not that big of deal, if you're upset because you feel your local govt is wasting money thank insurance companies. 

lol i agree with you-   but when i was plowing i’d rather not have everybody thinking the could voyage out and get in the way.

plus if your really plowing you know what i’m talking about - you going to tell me your expenses haven’t gone up since the liquid stuff. ie rust brake line etc?   if not you must be rolling on the county’s dime?

Just now, motsco said:

lol i agree with you-   but when i was plowing i’d rather not have everybody thinking the could voyage out and get in the way.

plus if your really plowing you know what i’m talking about - you going to tell me your expenses haven’t gone up since the liquid stuff. ie rust brake line etc?   if not you must me rolling on the county’s dime?

I try to off load all trucks after 5 years of service for many reasons but I will say 12 cans of under coat, wd 40 and a pressure washer go along way. My guys hate me after working countless straight hours and then pressure washing and oiling plows speaders etc but there is no money in snow removal if your constantly repairing stuff. I don't plow for the county or state, my snow and ice management services are scattered through Howard and carroll county, all private businesses and hoa's.

12z RGEM says its 24 degrees at DCA at 12z SAT with sub 30 degree temps deep into NC

ETA: Might be too fast in getting rid of CAD as everyone is above freezing by 22z SAT

Just now, Plow'n said:

I try to off load all trucks after 5 years of service for many reasons but I will say 12 cans of under coat, wd 40 and a pressure washer go along way. My guys hate me after working countless straight hours and then pressure washing and oiling plows speaders etc but there is no money in snow removal if your constantly repairing stuff. I don't plow for the county or state, my snow and ice management services are scattered through Howard and carroll county, all private businesses and hoa's.

not a advertisement but. fluid film.  it works.  

2 minutes ago, motsco said:

Do you use Eastwood Co . rust incapsulator ? I've used the 2 step process for years on 80s turbo Buicks under carriages with great results. 

1 minute ago, motsco said:

It definitely does!! Now, some of my subs with older trucks that haven't been properly "de-salted"... trashed!! 

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@psuhoffman mentioned earlier about the mid level winds direction and u can clearly see the trajectory is much better this run .

12k nam

43FB75AA-6740-4ABA-9764-C8CB279CF27B.thumb.jpeg.9cd8821e331e9c3f04c6cc366c22f9a8.jpeg

the main mid level flow is still aimed NW. No getting that back.  But that kink on the nam also associated with a little lead wave of vorticity is what’s responsible. It’s thete on the other guidance too but not nearly as distinct.  That could save us from a blah event. Or the nam is just being the NAM. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

43FB75AA-6740-4ABA-9764-C8CB279CF27B.thumb.jpeg.9cd8821e331e9c3f04c6cc366c22f9a8.jpeg

the main mid level flow is still aimed NW. No getting that back.  But that kink on the nam also associated with a little lead wave of vorticity is what’s responsible. It’s thete on the other guidance too but not nearly as distinct.  That could save us from a blah event. Or the nam is just being the NAM. 

What about the VV at 500 or 700 mb . Do they come into play at all ?

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Do you use Eastwood Co . rust incapsulator ? I've used the 2 step process for years on 80s turbo Buicks under carriages with great results. 

never tried it - and please tell me you don’t drive them in the nasty .  i know your aviator and i’ve always wanted one -   

12 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

It definitely does!! Now, some of my subs with older trucks that haven't been properly "de-salted"... trashed!! 

yup-  sorry i must get  back on topic.  

according to the amount of the good stuff put on the roads - looks like a inch of snow and .34 of rain coming saturday.  

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

What about the VV at 500 or 700 mb . Do they come into play at all ?

It all comes into play but the main driver for WAA is getting  enough mid level winds aimed at the cold over us to create lift. If the winds aren’t adequate it just slowly displaces the cold without really creating enough vertical velocity to create heavy Precip.  The mid levels are important because that’s where the snow growth zone is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

1% beet juice and sodium chloride in water.  Sodium chloride has been documented to overwhelm local qater treatment and aquifers.

Sodium chloride is what has screwed our well, and many of our neighbors. The process with the state has been a pain and it’s going to costs us thousands. The water issue was never disclosed at selling, nor is sodium chloride a regular contaminant that is checked during standard water tests. Note to future buyers on well water: spend the extra money to test your well for contaminants. Call your county’s geologist (all should have one) and see what they know about the area you’re looking at. 

*sorry for longer off topic post. NAM looks juicy, I like. 

• Thanks 1

@losetoa6

also...get enough lift and suddenly you create a feedback loop. Warm air is lifted,  cooling and condensing causing heavy precip which sets off dynamic cooling processes and mixes colder air back down countermanding the WAA. That’s when we get “the thump”. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@losetoa6

also...get enough lift and suddenly you create a feedback loop. Warm air is lifted,  cooling and condensing causing heavy precip which sets off dynamic cooling processes and mixes colder air back down countermanding the WAA. That’s when we get “the thump”. 

Yep...makes sense ..not to mention holding off the flip to mix a bit longer with this process ongoing .

46 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

even tho i’m in the auto repair business- my customers have no idea what they are driving their cars on,  once the juice is laid.   i have many many big estimates because of the liquid death . and when i see all the cars at the car wash waiting to be washed in acid after a snow storm -  i’m ruining my career by telling them not to drive in it and not to use a car wash.  errrr.  

worst is when the liquid dries and the wind blow the shit blows around and gets all over everything.   nasty!   and people think their sinuses are bad from pollen, lol.

i just can’t figure out why sand isn’t used like it was in the day?   

do people really need to go out after a snow storm when according to the news all the grocery stores are sold out the day before. ? i guess now days people don’t like their families.   

i know days when i was plowing days and days straight i wished i was home with my wife and kids and dog enjoying the beautiful snow, instead of sitting in the god darn truck paying the bills and admiring those who got to enjoy it.  

Looks like 00z GFS is same... yay sleet
Wait that was advertised 2 days ago. Still trying to extrapolate freezing rain, rain and no snow

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just got up to let the dog out and it is 35 degrees with moderate snow flurries in Severna Park right now.

image.png.875027d7054418f6d352b3be66eb71fb.png