Total Members
    Most Online
    TrickBamland
    Newest Member
    TrickBamland

NYE Mess Obs

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

That's gotta be a first.

Maybe.  I recall something similar on Jan. 9, 1998, the 2nd day of the ice storm in Maine.  (PQ first got hit a couple days earlier.)  That Friday morning we heard mention of "life-threatening conditions" as strong TS with high winds had formed south of ALB and were heading NE.  The thought of 50 mph gusts hitting those ice-laden trees wasn't at all pretty, but the storms quickly ran into unfavorable conditions and dissipated long before reaching the severe ice.

Forecast for home looks like 6-10, though it needs to start fairly soon - we're already 6-8" behind places 50 miles to our south.  Just like Dec 2-3.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Maybe.  I recall something similar on Jan. 9, 1998, the 2nd day of the ice storm in Maine.  (PQ first got hit a couple days earlier.)  That Friday morning we heard mention of "life-threatening conditions" as strong TS with high winds had formed south of ALB and were heading NE.  The thought of 50 mph gusts hitting those ice-laden trees wasn't at all pretty, but the storms quickly ran into unfavorable conditions and dissipated long before reaching the severe ice.

Forecast for home looks like 6-10, though it needs to start fairly soon - we're already 6-8" behind places 50 miles to our south.  Just like Dec 2-3.

Yeah you're kind of squeezed between the WWA snows and snow from the parent low taking shape right now S of LI. There looks like there might be some weird hole in ME thats going to miss out from both aspects.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

100% has happened before on the Plains. New England? Probably a different story.

Yeah thats what i meant, for this sub forum. Plains get tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards and flying cows at the same time.

That storm can be tracked back to E PA actually

I have seen tor warnings w/ similar ice/wsw warnings in the midwest and plains

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Honestly, Hartland, CT just had their best thunderstorm in a generation probably. Folks may never see severe hail again.

Was that a joke? If so it went way over my head..

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

No, I'm dead serious. The likelihood of anyone seeing severe hail at their home in New England is very low. There is a good chance this was their best severe storm of their lives.

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What are the odds of any one spot seeing quarter size hail in their lifetime in New England? I know I’m still waiting.