Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Yes, the stereotypical stoner culture. I've known so many of those guys through the years.  I do realize its a stereotype and doesn't hold true for everyone. Almost everyone I know uses it to some degree. Of course I grew up in VT in the 70's and 80's, I'm hippied out.  I'm not offended by it or don't think it should be legal.  But I sometimes feel like proponents get a bit self righteous about it.  It can be abused as much as any drug and I know that inhaling any type of smoke is bad for you.

I respect your opinion which is rooted from your personal experiences. As is mine. All I’m saying is that the 70s VT stoner culture is not a microcosm of the thc culture now. So, people need to adapt and have a broader understanding. It’s no longer the 4 buddies I knew who turned stoners and never amounted to anything....mentality.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any golfers here have any suggestion on clubs for someone on a budget? I was looking on eBay and at used stuff.....is that a no go or?

I think you can get good deals on eBay. What level are you?  If you are on the beginner end of things, look for cavity backed game improvement type irons. The better you get, the more feel you’ll be looking for. Go to a place like Dick’s that has a test area. Test some out and see what feels right for you. 

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I respect your opinion which is rooted from your personal experiences. As is mine. All I’m saying is that the 70s VT stoner culture is not a microcosm of the thc culture now. So, people need to adapt and have a broader understanding. It’s no longer the 4 buddies I knew who turned stoners and never amounted to anything....mentality.

This is spot on. Marijuana and CBD also have huge medicinal benefits as well. Its helping people with all types of health issues instead of taking powerful synthetic pharmaceuticals. 

I have seen it first hand with a family member suffering and dying from cancer and marijuana was the only thing that worked on easing his suffering. All the other drugs made him extremely ill.

Also, the science behind thc now is really advanced. They have the entire molecular structure broken down and what the effects are associated with them. Its not like the old days of buying some random bud.  The effects of each strain are known. You can buy tested and chemical free bud that is good for sleep for example.

Here is a description from NETA in Northhampton of some of their buds. 

Screenshot_20200305-181448_Chrome.jpg

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I think you can get good deals on eBay. What level are you?  If you are on the beginner end of things, look for cavity backed game improvement type irons. The better you get, the more feel you’ll be looking for. Go to a place like Dick’s that has a test area. Test some out and see what feels right for you. 

I actually was looking online and see whole sets used on eBay for 2 or 300 bucks 

As we get ready to embark upon a new summer season, for those of us who care, there is anticipation for how the temperature departures will tend to layout across North America - and obviously... how that will affect our region. 

I have taken note over the last ten years, an interesting tendency to offset extreme (high) temperature results in New England due specifically to cloud coverage. There are other geo-physical circumstances that offset - I'm speaking specifically to tendencies for mid and high level "gunk" cloud coverage, which tends to dim solar flux during warm continental transports and/or in-general deeper tropospheric height events.   I thought perhaps I was just imagining contaminating warm-sector cloud propensity... Such an easy look-up using the "dubious" resource known as the Internet (sadly it has become... due to human propensity for greed and corruption at least excuse, a dying virtue ...I digress), I have neglected to really try, but an excerpt from this source, 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190325120401.htm

"..Even though northern Scandinavia should be strongly affected by global warming, the area has experienced little summer warming over recent decades -- in stark contrast to the hemispheric trend of warming temperatures, which is strongly linked to rising greenhouse gas emissions. According to the study, temperature changes have been accompanied by an increase in cloudiness over northern Scandinavia, which in turn has reduced the impact of warming..."  rather nicely suggests I may be noticing something real.

I have opined on few occasions, how our region of the globe, per NASA's ongoing 'state of the climate' monthly publications, dating back some 20 years actually ..., have shown that while we have experienced substantive upward temperature trends, they have been muted comparative to other land regions; such as Australia, Eurasian and Asia and Africa, where they may not have the same cloud tendencies.   We do... maybe - because that bold excerpt above likens to an 'extreme' variation of what I may be observing locally - if due to a similar dimming/muting. I almost wonder if this summer ends up a 89'er; which would be +2 or +3 on the season, even suggesting episodic big heat, but in reality fails to produce, because of gunk sky contaminated warm ups. 20+C 850 mb warm air intrusions under cirrostrata contamination ... I have seen this frequently.   I also wonder if the warming climate's theoretical relationship to increased WV content could be causally related to why some regions of the planet happen to register increasing cloud coverage as this warming has occurred over recent decades - if so, are we actually one such region. 

I just have seen too many 21 C, 850 mb afternoons hold up at 91 F ...with periodic swaths of cirro-stratum and alto stratus clipping the solar flux.  

So, this warm up Monday into Wednesday this week ... Firstly, I'm impressed that the models can't bring a BD down here approaching the "stellar warm time of year" known as the Ides of March.  Yet, the Euro holds that boundary up around midriff Maine.  That said, I was looking at the GGEM and Euro moisture layering and that looks like a candidate mottled warm sector of robbed solar input.  700 mb has >50% RH ... which wouldn't be necessarily the same cause as the deep summer reasoning, no...but, it does remind me of similar...and that having +7C at 850 mb, in a reasonably well mixed WSW flow ..."should" poke another 70 F chance one of those afternoons, but I almost wonder if it stays 64 to 66 because of cloud albedo 

• Like 1

Yeah... it seems a matter of time before get some kind of public restriction mania going ... one wonders. I mean, it won't be like "martial law" per se, but several states are urging people to telecommute if they can, else ..self quarantine if there is any suspicion at all they may have been in contact - but think about that?  Who and how the f would anyone know that! 

Idiots...so, the next logical steps is mass hysteria of course - too predictable. 

Meanwhile, we wonder if it's over-publicized ... "catastrophized" to try and generate corporate-media profits.  The histrionic fervor that's "trying to elevate" doesn't seem to really necessitate the urgency, not when comparing to the veracious science and data that's being buried beneath the din of fear mongering.  Some of the descriptions of those with this illness who are among what is considered 'healthy population,' report 8 hours of fever, followed by a day or so of mild fatigue and they're out - fine. No worse for the wear.  Head colds are far f worse.  And yeah, you get the flu with advanced underlying morbidity factors, you're at risk either way.  

This has a 2 percent mortality rate ... 2... and that does not include 'healthy populations' almost all who have died were in the risk minority.  Ebola was 90%... 90 .. You could have been Jesse Owens and you'd -a been in deep shit.  Not this f thing. no way...not even in the same ballpark. 

Yet, think back to the media coverage spanning both ... you'd think that was Corona and this was Ebola the way it is being aggrandized - 

The death rate is higher than 2% for older people based on what’s happened so far. However healthy people in their 20s-40s have had it much better in terms of coping with it. I think part of the issue here is how easily it can spread and how the idiotic govt isn’t really prepared to handle it. I do agree the media can stop making it the top headline every 10 min.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The death rate is higher than 2% for older people based on what’s happened so far. However healthy people in their 20s-40s have had it much better in terms of coping with it. I think part of the issue here is how easily it can spread and how the idiotic govt isn’t really prepared to handle it. I do agree the media can stop making it the top headline every 10 min.

I find it scary how washing your hands has just become a new thing to do for some.

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I always wash my hands before using the bathroom 

I've never understood why more people don't do that.  If your hands are dirty, why would you want to put them on your privates and then wash your hands.  Your privates now have the germs that you don't want.  Why wouldn't you want to wash your hands before you go to the bathroom?

Golf folks.... went to a local store today... even used equipment going to run me a lot. Deciding between these two sets, any advice?

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Profile-Platinum-Package-Regular/dp/B07WVKRH26?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Ultra-Package-Handed-Regular/dp/B07WRCNZ3H?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So dicks has whole sets for a beginner for like 200 bucks new lol. Is there anything wrong with that for a few years?

I’m still playing on a box set, not custom, in my 10th year. If you’re just starting out, no reason to pay up...the sport is expensive as it is. 

Also, head over to the golf thread for stuff like this. Good to have another player.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m still playing on a box set, not custom, in my 10th year. If you’re just starting out, no reason to pay up...the sport is expensive as it is. 

Also, head over to the golf thread for stuff like this. Good to have another player.

Will do.... very expensive. I went to a local golf place today and to put together a whole set it was going to be a lot... even used. Any opinions on the above 2 links?