Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Weenies grew three sizes as they read his AFDs.

I'll be completely honest that reading his AFDs in high school and thinking "WTF does that mean?" was a big motivation to go to school for meteorology. 

26 more years for full benefits...:yikes:

By then it will be 260 years for full benefits lol

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Weenies grew three sizes as they read his AFDs.

I'll be completely honest that reading his AFDs in high school and thinking "WTF does that mean?" was a big motivation to go to school for meteorology. 

26 more years for full benefits...:yikes:

The fact that you were able to see things on the internet while you were in high school makes me feel very, very old.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

The fact that you were able to see things on the internet while you were in high school makes me feel very, very old.

The internet has been a godsend to many hobbies. Back in the day I would always listen to WBZ radio with the hope that Elliot Abrams would be doing the forecast. He would take the time to explain the possibilities. And he had a great sense of humor.  Now much of the detail/info can be found online. Back in the day it was a joy listening to and watching the mets who would go into detail about a storm and/or forecast.

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The internet has been a godsend to many hobbies. Back in the day I would always listen to WBZ radio with the hope that Elliot Abrams would be doing the forecast. He would take the time to explain the possibilities. And he had a great sense of humor.  Now much of the detail/info can be found online. Back in the day it was a joy listening to and watching the mets who would go into detail about a storm and/or forecast.

I had Don Kent.  But he wouldn’t really give reasons

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I had Don Kent.  But he wouldn’t really give reasons

I watched Kent quite often.  One of his biggest busts was for a  major snowstorm in Dec 1973. On a Saturday, actually the Saturday before OJ broke the 2000 yard barrier, Kent was forecasting a major snowstorm.  My memory is a bit vague but I think he was forecasting 1-2 feet of snow. Come Sunday things had changed. I recall Kent being very disappointed at the turn of events. He loved a really good snowstorm

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'll be right around that myself. 37 years 2 months would take me to my 62nd birthday. 

Part of me loves the idea of being able to say 40 years service, but then again...

I was going to go to age 75.  But they always say you’ll know when it’s time and it hit me around Labor Day.  So I’ll retire 11.5 years past my full benefit time. Having lost everything in my 30 years ago divorce-I had to start from scratch again in my early 40s.  So it all worked out and I had the good fortune of staying healthy.  I’ve been beyond the cap for years so colas never gave me full benefit. And extras I negotiated don’t count towards retirement calculation.  I put max and Catch up away though so it’s all good.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I was going to go to age 75.  But they always say you’ll know when it’s time and it hit me around Labor Day.  So I’ll retire 11.5 years past my full benefit time. Having lost everything in my 30 years ago divorce-I had to start from scratch again in my early 40s.  So it all worked out and I had the good fortune of staying healthy.  I’ve been beyond the cap for years so colas never gave me full benefit. And extras I negotiated don’t count towards retirement calculation.  I put max and Catch up away though so it’s all good.

I know I have an expiration date given the shift work. If they aren't going to promote me to primarily day shifts I can't be doing this still when I'm approaching 70. It's hard enough now with a toddler and family obligations. 

Continuous snowcover since early December here in patchy spot's. Some of the neighbors have 6-12" of plowed and snow thrower snow. Unfortunately we had alot of rain that melted most of the snow. My house is 90% covered in about 1/2" of snow. Enormous piles of snow in the Enfield Mall parking lot. Usually this remains until April. 

29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I know I have an expiration date given the shift work. If they aren't going to promote me to primarily day shifts I can't be doing this still when I'm approaching 70. It's hard enough now with a toddler and family obligations. 

That’s the thing,   My hours are long, often starting early with late meetings week in and week out. The biggest thing in retirement is normalizing and catching up on sleep.   In the old days, I’d wait for the euro on week days.  No more but that changes next winter unless I decide to do something 1-2 days per week and even then I’d go from 5  on 2 off to 2 on 5 off.