Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

MJO may briefly make a phase 8 appearance around New Year's so maybe someone can sneak in something. 

Big AO transition too usually yields storminess.

Doesn't work that way .. It's not like, A --> so B happens, in the greater maelstrom of the planetary atmospheric mechanics ...

It's more like, A --> so B prime might yield a skip over C, so that D can gives rise to E-F-G ... but if, and only if, B ( not prime but initial condition) allowed its differential .... such that .... Nth enigma might parlay into a trough over eastern N/A if about 10 other things line up such that all that can happen. 

I think there's a equation for that ...

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What a convoluted pattern. Quebec block helps push this cold trough near Maine. That's a look that could easily change in 12 hrs, but guidance hinting at this today. 

That shortwave appeared on last night's guidance and has trended hard south today. Maybe we get one more jump south. Even as is, that's def ice inland. Prob even further south than the verbatim 2m temps show...that's crazy advection from the northeast. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That shortwave appeared on last night's guidance and has trended hard south today. Maybe we get one more jump south. Even as is, that's def ice inland. Prob even further south than the verbatim 2m temps show...that's crazy advection from the northeast. 

How much qpf ? Is it significant?

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How much qpf ? Is it significant?

It's 120+ hours...I wasn't really looking closely at qpf. Maybe around an inch? 

It could be a decent system. But QPF is the last thing to be looking at right now. Need to make sure this isn't a true screamer/cutter first. Good trends last night and today though. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's 120+ hours...I wasn't really looking closely at qpf. Maybe around an inch? 

It could be a decent system. But QPF is the last thing to be looking at right now. Need to make sure this isn't a true screamer/cutter first. Good trends last night and today though. 

Reminds me of a storm back in the 2000 singles . I’ll never forget Drag saw it first and hit it hard in the AFD. We were on Eastern then. It looked like a screamer and it ended up being snow up north and ice/ snow SNE.

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Reminds me of a storm back in the 2000 singles . I’ll never forget Drag saw it first and hit it hard in the AFD. We were on Eastern then. It looked like a screamer and it ended up being snow up north and ice/ snow SNE.

Drag still posts in the NYC forum, don't know if you saw it. Does he still work for NWS PHI?

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah. I'm not totally sold yet but it's a good trend. Need to see that shortwave up north trend even stronger imho. It's already done so two runs in a row so maybe it will again at 00z but if it goes back the other way a little bit then we're looking at a cold rain. 

11 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I understand. Walt is great guy and a terrific forecaster. 

He really is a great guy.  I went to an info seminar on a new benefit we (federal employees) had the option of purchasing.  Everyone had to flash their ID and the guy ahead of me has one from NOAA.  I look at the name it’s DRAG!  I blurt out-Walt Drqg and he wheels around with a look of who the fuk could know me here....    It was right before the 2002-03 winter and he had some great insight.   Nice man, hopefully enjoying his retirement.   I’m a bit older....(maybe 2-4 years) and will be joining him in retirement in 6 months.

• Like 3

Just now, weathafella said:

He really is a great guy.  I went to an info seminar on a new benefit we (federal employees) had the option of purchasing.  Everyone had to flash their ID and the guy ahead of me has one from NOAA.  I look at the name it’s DRAG!  I blurt out-Walt Drqg and he wheels around with a look of who the fuk could know me here....    It was right before the 2002-03 winter and he had some great insight.   Nice man, hopefully enjoying his retirement.   I’m a bit older....(maybe 2-4 years) and will be joining him in retirement in 6 months.

I enjoyed speaking with Walt when I called in my Skywarn reports. He loved to discuss the weather. And he was always open to answering a question or two. I hope one day he writes a book about his days at BOX.  He has a lot of insights and theories on SNE weather.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I have another decade or so until that blessed event.  I can’t wait.

46 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I understand. Walt is great guy and a terrific forecaster. 

Weenies grew three sizes as they read his AFDs.

I'll be completely honest that reading his AFDs in high school and thinking "WTF does that mean?" was a big motivation to go to school for meteorology. 

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I have another decade or so until that blessed event.  I can’t wait.

26 more years for full benefits...:yikes:

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Weenies grew three sizes as they read his AFDs.

I'll be completely honest that reading his AFDs in high school and thinking "WTF does that mean?" was a big motivation to go to school for meteorology. 

26 more years for full benefits...:yikes:

Lol....I’m going out FERS with 37 years, 7 months of service.