Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sunday looks intriguing. That's a pretty damn significant shortwave trough moving in...actually not so shortwave. But behind it the tropopause drops below 500mb. Could see some major upslope snows across NNE Sunday. 

Upslope snows at 2000' elevations in NNE are always an extraordinary phenomenon to watch unfold. However given my proclivity to gravitate towards anomalous weather events that impact an abundance of people, preferably myself included, I am struggling to spare $hits to give-

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember in NNJ being 8 degrees at the height of the December 11-12,1960 blizzard.

Low teens at our place, with 18" powder - doubt I'll ever again walk out for the opening of deer season with deeper snow.  And the storm of Jan. 19-20 that winter was 3-4° colder and dumped 20".

Nearly snowless, suppressed pattern that crushes NC to DC. It could be worse, we take.

2002-03 up here, though SNE did quite well along with the MA.   DJFM had temps 4° BN here, while snowfall was 23" BN.  The cold allowed for continuous cover from mid November thru early April despite the paucity of snowstorms.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Low teens at our place, with 18" powder - doubt I'll ever again walk out for the opening of deer season with deeper snow.  And the storm of Jan. 19-20 that winter was 3-4° colder and dumped 20".

Nearly snowless, suppressed pattern that crushes NC to DC. It could be worse, we take.

2002-03 up here, though SNE did quite well along with the MA.   DJFM had temps 4° BN here, while snowfall was 23" BN.  The cold allowed for continuous cover from mid November thru early April despite the paucity of snowstorms.

I'm not sure what snow I ran into driving up to Sugarloaf in early January of 1996. I spent the night in the Eastland Hotel. It was -6F according to the bank thermometer. So much snow in Portland that you couldn't park a car on the street.

4 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm not sure what snow I ran into driving up to Sugarloaf in early January of 1996. I spent the night in the Eastland Hotel. It was -6F according to the bank thermometer. So much snow in Portland that you couldn't park a car on the street.

There was a huge snow event on January 3-4, 1996 a few days before the blizzard. It actually dumped the same amount as the blizzard in ORH (about 15" from each). There was a sharp cutoff though in accumulations once you got south of HFD-PVD or so....lots of sleet, etc south of that. 

4 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

And Portland had no snow in the forecast 48 hours out.  I taped Harvey the Saturday night before and my wife and I went to the movies.  When Harv comes in weekends, it’s on.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

And Portland had no snow in the forecast 48 hours out.  I taped Harvey the Saturday night before and my wife and I went to the movies.  When Harv comes in weekends, it’s on.

Yes sir...blizzard of 96 was slated to miss all of SNE to the south a few days before-was suppresses.  Then a couple days before modeling started bringing it farther and farther north.  And then bingo..it was game on up here too. 

Oops sorry guys..thought you were all talking about Jan 96 blizzard..?

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes sir...blizzard of 96 was slated to miss all of SNE to the south a few days before-was suppresses.  Then a couple days before modeling started bringing it farther and farther north.  And then bingo..it was game on up here too. 

Oops sorry guys..thought you were all talking about Jan 96 blizzard..?

I loved that storm. I was 12 and I remember doing a back flip off my deck into a drift. Still, even '96 can't touch this one:

Nemo2.jpg