• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

I like the way the extended looks for storminess around the Lakes for Feb. Buckle up and lets see what happens. 

Agree on the active look. The MJO trends indicate a likelihood of a -PNA and southeast ridging, also supported by the ens mean height anomalies. So hopefully we can get the -EPO that has been advertised in the medium-long range to keep the northern half or so of the sub on the good side of the thermal gradient. If it becomes yet another phantom -EPO, the background pattern would argue for a warmer risk, but still active and maybe enough cold air depending on storm track for parts of the northwestern sub to benefit. One thing is for sure, the AO and NAO will remain raging positive for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Agree on the active look. The MJO trends indicate a likelihood of a -PNA and southeast ridging, also supported by the ens mean height anomalies. So hopefully we can get the -EPO that has been advertised in the medium-long range to keep the northern half or so of the sub on the good side of the thermal gradient. If it becomes yet another phantom -EPO, the background pattern would argue for a warmer risk, but still active and maybe enough cold air depending on storm track for parts of the northwestern sub to benefit. One thing is for sure, the AO and NAO will remain raging positive for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully the epo pans out. I mean even if it doesnt, a storm can track nw and still bring heavy snow, i only have to look back to Jan 19 to see that. But if it pans out i love the look. No  -nao would keep otherwise suppression in check.

• Like 1

Gradient pattern really setting up on the GFS for a bit

ECMWF ensemble took a small step back with 00z run last night but today's 12z run went back to a nice west based -EPO with southeast ridging setting up that gradient pattern you mentioned. The run total mean and member snowfall outputs from both EPS and GEFS are really impressive (and something we haven't seen since last winter) and strongly suggestive of the active wintry pattern that could set up starting with whatever happens Tuesday onward through mid February.  

Definitely shades of Feb 2019 in the medium to long range on the ensembles. If we can keep the storm track a bit more muted than last year, then more of us could cash in than last year when it was mostly IA, WI, MN and northern MI that were hammered, while we dealt with mixing issues and several icing events in northern IL, IN and southern MI. Need to see that -EPO lock in as we get closer to feel more confident moving forward. Saw on another board that OHweather's company is going with AN snowfall for Feb for the upper Midwest and Great Lakes, so hopefully he chimes in here.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

ECMWF ensemble took a small step back with 00z run last night but today's 12z run went back to a nice west based -EPO with southeast ridging setting up that gradient pattern you mentioned. The run total mean and member snowfall outputs from both EPS and GEFS are really impressive (and something we haven't seen since last winter) and strongly suggestive of the active wintry pattern that could set up starting with whatever happens Tuesday onward through mid February.  

Definitely shades of Feb 2019 in the medium to long range on the ensembles. If we can keep the storm track a bit more muted than last year, then more of us could cash in than last year when it was mostly IA, WI, MN and northern MI that were hammered, while we dealt with mixing issues and several icing events in northern IL, IN and southern MI. Need to see that -EPO lock in as we get closer to feel more confident moving forward. Saw on another board that OHweather's company is going with AN snowfall for Feb for the upper Midwest and Great Lakes, so hopefully he chimes in here.

We should be in the game in this type of regime.  Just hoping it's a snowier outcome locally than last February which was very ordinary in that regard.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Sounds good. Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

We should be in the game in this type of regime.  Just hoping it's a snowier outcome locally than last February which was very ordinary in that regard.  

Wasn't a fan of last Feb's flavor around here, always being "just SE" of the good stuff. Nonetheless, ended up at 128% of normal when it was a wrap.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

A repeat of last February would be pretty nice to say the least.

Certainly too far out still to feel comfortable but I like that the EPS hasn't lost the general look it's shown over the past several days, which continued with the 00z run tonight. The EPS has definitely performed the best out of the ensembles this winter, so that alone gives a reason for cautious optimism.

We're going to have well above normal temperatures for DJF no matter what but the bottom line is getting a good region wide event and hopefully more than 1 to help salvage the season. We can do that if the pattern look that's been shown doesn't trend substantially worse and things break right on the evolution of individual synoptic waves.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WI_SNOWSTORM said:

NOAA indicating an early taste of spring for the Eastern half of the country possibly. 

Early Spring.gif

Cue Josh optimistically stating that March is going to rock.

EDIT: They also forgot that this is a leap year. February 29th is going to rock. Either that, or it will be an extra day of a miserable winter.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

EDIT: They also forgot that this is a leap year. February 29th is going to rock. Either that, or it will be an extra day of a miserable winter.

2/29 will have the craziest weather in at least the past 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Actually i hate that phrase lol. But anyway, March is the last thing on my mind with an active look to February.

• Haha 1

I don't think I've ever seen this much consistent inconsistency in the models in winter over the conus in my short years following.  1 or 2 hundred miles on tracks this far out, sure.  But we've been seeing 3 to 5 hundred mile to shredded nothingness this winter.  I know in the tropics models always struggle with weak systems and with weak steering.  There really hasn't been strong ridges and strong lows this season and hardly any deep arctic air dropping down, for a lot of reasons that have been posted, and the baroclinic zone has been very low this winter IMO .  I wonder if this  is causing the problem with the models across the conus.  With such a consistent weak split flow across the conus, as fine a resolution as some have (and that is totally subjective) it's just not fine enough to whittle out the details and/or how much climo is influencing some of them (I'm not sure how much climo data they put weight on).  Regardless, if this keeps up, I think this may be one of the worse model verification winters in a long time because damn near none of them have verified, especially in our area,  for snowfall, or QPF for that matter, outside 24 hours.  They're not even verifying that well in the mountains out to the W/NW where it should be close to cut and dry.  The mountains in BC should have about 800 inches of snow by now lol.  Just my armchair 2 cents but something is really strange this winter model wise.  Maybe it will snap back late and cover some of the models butts, however, as has been posted, the long range models don't look that good.  But then again 2 months ago the long range looked better than it is right now.  If this pans out this may be a winter to study the complete failure IMO of the "new and improved" models across the board.  I'll wait for someone smarter than me (which are many) and read the book. :weenie:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

For several days, the GFS has been hinting at a potential system as we approach mid month.  The Euro is finally catching on.  This morning's run has a widespread snow-to-mix overrunning event, not unlike the one we experienced a couple weeks ago.

Usual caveat about models out around day 10 but that looks to have potential.  Nice return flow and the western troughing is in no hurry to move east.  

• Weenie 1