• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

What the GFS is showing this morning will probably vanish on future runs.  It feels like a flukey run.  Models are generally just showing a strong cold front sweeping through the midwest.  This is the first model run that shows a flattening of the fropa with a nice wave or two riding along the front.  I'd have to see more models doing this, and stick with it, before I'd get excited.

Just now, hawkeye_wx said:

What the GFS is showing this morning will probably vanish on future runs.  It feels like a flukey run.  Models are generally just showing a strong cold front sweeping through the midwest.  This is the first model run that shows a flattening of the fropa with a nice wave or two riding along the front.  I'd have to see more models doing this, and stick with it, before I'd get excited.

gonna bust^

18 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The ensembles have been very active afterwards, and now the gfs shows a big storm in 2 wks. Its so far out but its interesting to note how active the ensembles are. Thats as good a sign as you could ask for this far out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

The ensembles have been very active afterwards, and now the gfs shows a big storm in 2 wks. Its so far out but its interesting to note how active the ensembles are. Thats as good a sign as you could ask for this far out.

Ensembles wrt to snow in the long range are laughable.   The euro ens has frequently shown us in the 6-12" digital swath in the 10 -15 day period since December.   Even if they were  only 10% correct I'd be sitting at more than 20" for the season.    

On the bright side the epo looks to go slightly negative after the 5th.... but that's about all I can see on the good side.   The AO is strongly positive as far as the eye can see and the MJO looks to exit the COD into 4 or 5 according to the euro.   Obviously you guys have a much better chance of being on the good side of a boundary then we do. 

All in all still looks like a garabage pattern with scattered teases here and there.   Probably get a really cold pattern just in time for spring fever....so what else is new.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Ensembles wrt to snow in the long range are laughable.   The euro ens has frequently shown us in the 6-12" digital swath in the 10 -15 day period since December.   Even if they were  only 10% correct I'd be sitting at more than 20" for the season.    

On the bright side the epo looks to go slightly negative after the 5th.... but that's about all I can see on the good side.   The AO is strongly positive as far as the eye can see and the MJO looks to exit the COD into 4 or 5 according to the euro.   Obviously you guys have a much better chance of being on the good side of a boundary then we do. 

All in all still looks like a garabage pattern with scattered teases here and there.   Probably get a really cold pattern just in time for spring fever....so what else is new.

I agree about digital snow maps. I was referring to looping the 24 hr precip on the gefs on tidbits. Its consistently shown a lot of precip in that timeframe, usually its a lot of widespread light qpf that far out. Im not counting on anything, just pointing out the interesting snow maps.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, buckeye said:

...one of these days you're gonna snap.   A diet of denial and sugar-coated turds, (ie halloween snow storms and blackened snow piles in parking lots),  can only sustain you for so long....   

It will be epic when it finally happens :popcorn:

On 1/26/2020 at 5:27 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Sounds good. I work from home that whole week and then I'm going to the UP the next week for 4 days.

His insurance policy against winter insanity! :whistle:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

So that explains why you're so optimistic despite the lacklustre weather pattern. 

Its invigorating being outdoors in deep winter. I have taken a snow trip north annually, since 2007, with the above mentioned exceptions of 2014 and 2015. I love going up there (to visit, not live lol). Also, in more "open" winters like this one, i take advantage of those pristine winter days and go out and enjoy. I fully understand those south of i80 have more right to complain, but for those of us who have had some nice winter days, why some people choose to sit at home lamenting the continued crud pattern on models and staring at a computer screen wondering how quickly the snow will melt....rather than go out and enjoy the winter wonderland right out their window...ill never understand. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I go every year, except 2014 and 2015 bc when you have feet of snow in your own yard, enjoy lol.

It's funny but snow somewhere else, (like when some people chase), does nothing for my weenie fix.  If it's not in my back yard I don't care, unless I'm on ski trip or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Its invigorating being outdoors in deep winter. I have taken a snow trip north annually, since 2007, with the above mentioned exceptions of 2014 and 2015. I love going up there (to visit, not live lol). Also, in more "open" winters like this one, i take advantage of those pristine winter days and go out and enjoy. I fully understand those south of i80 have more right to complain, but for those of us who have had some nice winter days, why some people choose to sit at home lamenting the continued crud pattern on models and staring at a computer screen wondering how quickly the snow will melt....rather than go out and enjoy the winter wonderland right out their window...ill never understand. 

Fair point. A lot of people stay trapped indoors through-out the winter season instead of trying to enjoy it as you mentioned. I'm planning on going up north in a week or two to go snowmobiling (for the first time). Gotta make the best out of every season. Hoping we see more sustained cold and snow next season. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Nice -EPO block with the PV parked up near Hudson Bay on the GFS. Whether that holds true, it remains to be seen. I'm still not sold out on the idea of any sustained cold for our region thru mid-Feb. 

GFS and GEFS have been horrific with handling the EPO since November.

I'd toss whatever they show in that regard. 

Edit: GEFS actually continue a +EPO, similar to the EPS. Toss the OP GFS and that well -EPO it shows.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

GFS and GEFS have been horrific with handling the EPO since November.

I'd toss whatever they show in that regard. 

Edit: GEFS actually continue a +EPO, similar to the EPS. Toss the OP GFS and that well -EPO it shows.

I agree, they've been horrible. What about the weeklies or EPS? 

24 minutes ago, buckeye said:

It's funny but snow somewhere else, (like when some people chase), does nothing for my weenie fix.  If it's not in my back yard I don't care, unless I'm on ski trip or something.

I love northern Michigan, and I try to go up there several times a year. Its not so much snow chase thing as I am just going to enjoy the deep snow outdoors. Whether snow is falling or not is irrelevant, though obviously show falling is preferred. Actually it's kind of funny, almost every year until last year, it hardly ever snows when I'm up there lol. Tons on the ground, but no snow falling.

Obviously, I get the backyard thing, we are all that way to a certain extent. I am worried about my backyard and I also I'm a big time stat guy so I love comparing what's going on locally to past years. You have to remember when I simply state how much snow is fallen this year, or that we are around average, that is not to say I am enjoying this Winter. I would gladly take less snow in total for more snow cover and cold. That is just my preference. But the scenes that we had here in early to mid November were unprecedented with the deep powder on the ground, heck even this past week was concrete, so it all adds into things. I've never seen a Winter behave the way this one has so far, so I have no idea what to expect the rest of the way. We had a winter in the mid 80s when I was too young to remember where we racked up around 55" of snow without a single warning criteria event, complete with snow depths around a foot in February. I would take that in a heartbeat. It sounds crazy to say that we've already had 2 warning criteria snowstorms at the midway point but this Winter feels so frustrating.

As I mentioned nearly 2 weeks ago, a pattern that featured more cold/snow chances than we seen all winter would be possible/likely to continue, which it has...and it looks likely to continue for the foreseeable future. 

The +EPO/+AO/+NAO regime has continued, though an overall toned down version compared to what it once was was. However, as was also mentioned in my last post, EPS was trending towards a bigger +EPO spike for a time, which has come to fruition. We are in that period now, which has been one thing that has aided in the mild/stagnant kind of temp pattern were are in right now, and may lead to the brief spike of even warmer temps this weekend/early next week.

The continued good news is that EPS is in good agreement on having the +EPO relax once again after this current spike, favoring in the vicinity of neutral/or near neutral +/-. The +AO will likely continue, but there are signs the NAO will also favor the vicinity of neutral or so. After a trip into positive territory for a while, the PNA is also expected to return to neutral/low end negative, which should also help things a bit.

Teleconnections will still not be amazing and only so-so, the PV will be of no help yet, and the MJO will still be unfavorable...The pattern for the foreseeable future still does not scream big turn around or sustained winter, but it will continue to be enough to bring continued cold shot potential and snow chance potential, though the lack of a -EPO will keep any cold in check. The bad news is that as was seen with the past three storm systems, it'll be a cluster****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

I'd agree with that.  Better chances should be n/w of the Ohio Valley for a while.

Wondering if there will finally be a big enough snow here in February to cover the grass tips for the first time this winter.  Think it has to happen at some point as the pattern looks less torchy overall and not devoid of action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I'd agree with that.  Better chances should be n/w of the Ohio Valley for a while.

Wondering if there will finally be a big enough snow here in February to cover the grass tips for the first time this winter.  Think it has to happen at some point as the pattern looks less torchy overall and not devoid of action.

Oh my...youve not yet had the tips covered!?