Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

1 minute ago, the ghost of leroy said:

They probably already knew how to swim. Living on an island and all...

You would be surprised.. I thought so also, living in the Atlantic side of the PCZ.. (Panama).. 

When I got there,  a swimming class for Panamanian high schoolers..  that lived either on Lake Gatun, or in Coco Solo, (The BAY).. They NEVER learned how to swim, despite living ON the Water(s).. Surprising to say the least..  

MOST Folks living in Caribbean Countries cannot swim a lick.. exception Lobster Divers & Fishing guides.. 

#Truth.. 

The damage I’ve seen out of the Abacos is easily some of the worst hurricane damage I’ve ever seen personally, up there with what you’d expect with significant tornado damage imo (in terms of just utter devastation, not in terms of EF-indicators and blah blah blah). Of course, their buildings probably aren’t the most amazing structures ever created - but it is still stunning. 

Reminiscent of Mexico Beach last year, except on a much more vast scale. 

• Like 1

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

3 minutes ago, etudiant said:

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

I expect the government of that island may end up operating out of Nassau, which got a less significant blow (although had significant flooding despite no direct hit). The airport there was open but with obvious delays.

When assessing damage, important to distinguish between surge and wind damage (there was a lot of both here) on Abacos. The building Josh was in was a brick school which was basically demolished with a few partial walls standing. No way Josh uses a building in a category 5 for shelter unless he feels its a strong structure. Also saw a video from someone in a car driving past what was clearly catastrophic wind damage. From aerials alone though it can be hard to distinguish though, especially since most stuff is low lying there.  

Josh Morgerman is my new wannabe person. Jim Cantore held that title for so many years...

I have never met him, never heard of him, maybe never seen any of his videos and barely anything he has written except a little with this storm.

He is like a brother to me now, so happy he lived. Josh, my new idol. Jim Cantore is out.

Yea, my preferred way to die is in a big tornado watching it approach with nothing left to cling onto (recurring dream). Hurricanes are second best, but I'd prefer the "moment" to be a little quicker. I'd rather be sucked up and hurled into the sky rather than beaten to death in a storm surge by debris. But either is way better than dying in a car wreck, by cancer, old age, or my least favorite concept, "To die in my sleep." Aurggh!

Stumbled on this "Banter" thread after joining AmericanWX with Dorian, so I am so such a newbie. But I tell you what, this Banter is a new home for me. I will be attacked for sure. But what fun, you all are insane as hell! Almost as good as an approaching tornado...

I may drive a few of you nuts as well.

What fun!!!!!

7 minutes ago, etudiant said:

If you look around there are some reputable organizations that are looking for aid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/09/03/hurricane-dorian-destroyed-bahamas-heres-how-you-can-help/2194099001/

Bahamas Red Cross, Salvation Army among others - links in the USA Today story above.

• Like 3