• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anathema
    Newest Member
    anathema
WxUSAF

February 1, 2019 Clipper Snow

I would say we're close to already exceededing "a dusting" in Downtown D.C.  Every thing white, except main streets that I assume have been salted. 

49 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

Looks like this is it for the beltway.

9 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

I like the look of the radar to the west. 

Can't wait to see what you post next.  

• Like 2

Alternating between light snow and flurries in DC. Sidewalks are slippery AF, as are crosswalks. Just a matter of time (if the event lasts that long) for the roads to start icing up.

Just now, nj2va said:

Sounds corny but there's something 'magical' to watching fluffy snow falling.  I like to pick out one pillow snowflake as its falling and track it as it gently hits the ground.

Keep us posted w pics and obs today. I'm leaning towards heading to Canaan tomorrow and am using 6" as my threshold for go/not go.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Sounds corny but there's something 'magical' to watching fluffy snow falling.  I like to pick out one pillow snowflake as its falling and track it as it gently hits the ground.

The best are when you see the indefinite sky readings on the ASOS/AWOS.  That's when you're getting into the good stuff.

• Like 1

Just flurries here in Woodlawn. Can just barely see flakes starting to stick to tops of cars. NAM/HRRR combo looks good for 1-2 inches for a lot of people. Given temps, would be a nice event.

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Steady light snow everything was covered immediately. Who doesn't love cold snow with zero temp issues?!?!

Not the synoptics, but the feel of this is kinda like a really weak mini-me version of the Jan 30 2010 event. 

• Like 1

Funny how OPM arguably needed a delay today, instead of the 3 hour delay Wednesday. Streets still seem fine Downtown, but there is a lot of traffic cause doesn't like anyone thought it would snow.

Appears on the SPC meso page that our dendritic growth layer RH is above 70% now north of I-66 so we should start seeing flake size increase shortly, if not already.

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Soft......lol just kidding I feel the same way :)

• Haha 1

Keep us posted w pics and obs today. I'm leaning towards heading to Canaan tomorrow and am using 6" as my threshold for go/not go.

I’m at 4.5” so far so can only imagine Canaan is probably even better. Ratios are probably 20:1. You should definitely head there tomorrow.

e7c5c6d97b4583bb3f2de7b42a4c9704.jpg
  • Like 2