• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bvmcode
    Newest Member
    bvmcode
Bob Chill

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Just over 11” on my parking roof in Arlington (Clarendon)

What an incredible storm. Over 31 hours of continuous snowfall with a few very brief lulls 

oh, and it’s snowing again lol. Legit rates as the snow to the NW pivots through. What a day 

• Like 1

Just now, real said:

What happened near Fredericksburg Virginia that was supposed to be the bullseye? 

Everything shifted north, as myself and many others warned could happen with this setup. Stinks for that area. Not complaining here in MD however.  

Everytime it looks like dry air is going to win out some light snow comes back into DC. Looks to stop in next 2 hours but wow what an amazing storm. Been a pleasure tracking and discussing with you all.

• Like 2

By the way... fellow HoCo residents... that band to our north is about to pivot ESE toward the ocean. Snow is picking back up. Again. 

Need 0.5” to hit a foot.

Just now, jayyy said:

Everything shifted north, as myself and many others warned could happen with this setup. Stinks for that area. Not complaining here in MD however.  

I'm pretty sure Fredericksburg and North on the Stafford side got 6 or 7 in.

• Like 1

great storm...sorry for the meltdown this morning. I had a read some report overnight from SPC about a moderate to heavy snow period from 6am to 10am or something and there was a big lulz. Round 2 was amazing!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Certainly not a pattern that would have signaled big snow for me.

the cips analogs seemed to be the best model for this storm @psuhoffman

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve had storms where I got 10+ and DC ~2”. I can’t remember one where I got 10+ and as close as where got 10” today got that little. I’m sure he’s happened but not recently. 

March 30, 2014.

Not sure if you were in Carroll county that year, but the ridges got like 8-9" while a few miles away received next to nothing.

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

March 30, 2014.

Not sure if you were in Carroll county that year, but the ridges got like 8-9" while a few miles away received next to nothing.

No I was in PA that year. 

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

No kidding about that! Line would probably stop right at Baltimore City, lol

I-70 seems to be the line.  Just a few miles up the west loop of 695 made a massive difference between the haves and have-nots.

Oh well, still waiting for a big storm this winter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like the 10-12” was mostly confined to between 66 and 70, with a localized jackpot of 12-14” in eastern Montgomery county. Totals slowly dropped off to the south and east, with a general 6-10”. North, the cutoff was sharper, as our posters from northern Carroll and Baltimore counties have lamented, with 3-6” there quickly increasing as you moved south.

5 hours ago, Amped said:

The HRRR kept saying this band would move south,but it's still drifting north.

HRRR was very bouncy and not reliable today. One run this morning had almost no precip in Loudoun for the duration of the storm

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You guys are sitting under some really heavy returns. Send it back south for a bit :)

starting to think winchester is not a good place for snow as you would think unless you get the rare coastal hugger

1 minute ago, Ji said:

starting to think winchester is not a good place for snow as you would think unless you get the rare coastal hugger

Its usually very good. We do awesome with coastals. We can also score from LE streamers and clippers as well. This was just one of those storms where the favored areas didnt get the jack. It happens occasionally.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Its usually very good. We do awesome with coastals. We can also score from LE streamers and clippers as well. This was just one of those storms where the favored areas didnt get the jack. It happens occasionally.

just feels your a tad west sometimes...but you do really well at temps and being ice when the rest of us are rain. I do remember a storm in the 90s, where Leesburg was rain and you all got 4-8 inches

• Like 1

Sitting under a MEGA DEATHBAND in Arlington!! Just kidding, though it is lightly snowing again and it’s beautiful. 10.3”, my fifth highest snow total of the 2010s.

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

just feels your a tad west sometimes...but you do really well at temps and being ice when the rest of us are rain. I do remember a storm in the 90s, where Leesburg was rain and you all got 4-8 inches

Dec 92 was one such instance. Just west of Winchester, over a foot...2 feet across the Wv line, and mostly rain east of BR. Same winter as the big blizzard which produced a lot more snow west of the Br. But you make a good point Ji, it seems to happen a lot less than 15 to 20 years ago. I lived in Winchester until 2017. We did get about 35-36 inches from the Jan 16 blizzard which I think was about on par or greater than Loudoun. There was also that March snow in '13 or '14 which busted badly near the beltway. We had about 14-15 inches in Frederick County, VA.