Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Futility Thread - Winter 18/19

NorEastermass128

Just now, raindancewx said:

10/1-1/26 snowfall in Boston (assuming none today). Additional snow 1/27-5/31: 2007 - 15.6", 1928 - 19.2", 1980 - 10.1", 1932 - 15.8", 1944 - 24.2", 1986 - 13.4", 1989 - 10.3", 1958 - 39.3", 1969 - 48.1", 1973 - 4.4". Average additional is 20 inches from 1/27 to 5/31, range is 4-40" for years with under six inches of total snow by 1/26.

1 2007-01-26 1.5 0
2 1928-01-26 1.6 1
3 2019-01-26 1.8 1
4 1980-01-26 2.4 1
5 1932-01-26 2.6 1
6 1944-01-26 3.5 0
7 1986-01-26 4.7 0
8 1989-01-26 5.2 0
9 1958-01-26 5.4 0
10 1969-01-26 5.7 0
11 1973-01-26 5.9 0

What if we told you the real total is 6.5, rerun those numbers

I think Boston is 1.5" so far ... which is probably miss-leading to civility because I don't believe anyone actually lives on the Tarmac  at Logan ... 

But, I've had 16" on the season here at my pad in Ayer - ... curious what others have had.   This is not my least snowy (to date) winter... since living here over the last 9 years.  That honor goes to 2011-2012 ... We had 10" from the Halloween grid-debacle bomb ...and it literally did not snow again at this location (imby) until light snow in late February that year. 

So, as bad as it is and/or has been (...and don't get me wrong, it has not been good for winter enthusiasts... ) I wonder if there is something particular about this year that is making it "seem" worse? 

You know ...that's funny ...  right for whatever reason - no one is ever wholly right for the right reason, either.

Unless anyone human brain knows all the quanta of momentum of all particles in reality ... there's always an element of chance that either works out for, or against, a veracious effort.  But that reality probably doesn't resonate in here I'm guessing -

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ...that's funny ...  right for whatever reason - no one is ever wholly right for the right reason, either.

Unless anyone human brain knows all the quanta of momentum of all particles in reality ... there's always an element of chance that either works out for, or against, a veracious effort.  But that reality probably doesn't resonate in here I'm guessing -

No, no one ever gets it %100.  But I think it needs to be considered when the seasonal H5 composite looks nothing like main analogs. Anyway, his outlook certainly looks better than mine at this point...not arguing that.

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think Boston is 1.5" so far ... which is probably miss-leading to civility because I don't believe anyone actually lives on the Tarmac  at Logan ... 

But, I've had 16" on the season here at my pad in Ayer - ... curious what others have had.   This is not my least snowy (to date) winter... since living here over the last 9 years.  That honor goes to 2011-2012 ... We had 10" from the Halloween grid-debacle bomb ...and it literally did not snow again at this location (imby) until light snow in late February that year. 

So, as bad as it is and/or has been (...and don't get me wrong, it has not been good for winter enthusiasts... ) I wonder if there is something particular about this year that is making it "seem" worse? 

BOS is officially 1.7” but that is really bogus.   No one accepts that other than NWS...well...I guess that’s someone

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You didn’t get a few inches around mid January 2012?  I think most did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

This season may be used in future seasons to further the notion that good early season snows are an omen of death for winter lovers.

This year doesn't match wth the previous narrative though. The voodoo old narrative was October snows. November snows actually are the opposite...they typically have big winters that follow. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

BOS is officially 1.7” but that is really bogus.   No one accepts that other than NWS...well...I guess that’s someone

I'm not sure what BOX is going to do there. They are kind of hemmed in. That's their official observer, but it's probably not even representative of Logan. 

We have some recourse to correct or estimate things (like we did with CON temps around Thanksgiving), but when you are paying an observer and have actual observations (however bad) I'm not sure what we can do.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure what BOX is going to do there. They are kind of hemmed in. That's their official observer, but it's probably not even representative of Logan. 

We have some recourse to correct or estimate things (like we did with CON temps around Thanksgiving), but when you are paying an observer and have actual observations (however bad) I'm not sure what we can do.

Maybe he’s a warminista?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I honestly made this thread as kind of a joke. Here we are. Barreling towards 2/1 without so much as a threat in the next 7-10 days. Ouch. 

It’s just such a waste of an active pattern 

I’d love a 20” incher but 10 rain storms and very few snow cover days would weigh my winter grade way down regardless of what happens next 6-8 weeks . B- is the Absolute ceiling for me if I see the biggest snow blitz ever. 

Getting this to a C would be a miracle.

currently I grade a D/ D- 

2 winter storms , one which gave me nearly a week of snow cover in Mid Novie then record rain storms and brutal cutter to decimate a very solid pack.

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s just such a waste of an active pattern 

I’d love a 20” incher but 10 rain storms and very few snow cover days would weigh my winter grade way down regardless of what happens next 6-8 weeks . B- is the Absolute ceiling for me if I see the biggest snow blitz ever. 

Getting this to a C would be a miracle.

currently I grade a D/ D- 

2 winter storms , one which gave me nearly a week of snow cover in Mid Novie then record rain storms and brutal cutter to decimate a very solid pack.

Picture Dean Wormer telling the winter it's grade so far....0.0

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Solid F for the grade here so far. 2.5 days of cover doesn’t cut it. The rain and annoying cold/wind in between just gives me a dull headache. End this season now. 

I would agree, it’s an F for the corridor from NYC to BOS. Wasted cold and DCA having a decent winter adding to the misery. I have a feeling we do see a good 2 week blitz around mid month but that maybe gets us to a C