• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

It's not that far fetched, guys... Folks may be too ingrained in the arts of pattern loathing to see matters otherwise, but...  the idea of "anomalies happening at any given time" is still very much a part of reality.  Getting one to happen?  Okay, but it may only seem impossible in a Stockholm hostage situation

Yesterday I remarked that pushing that Euro system through the deep south was less likely, ...while today ...it does lift it more curvi-linear around the NW arc of the ridge ... That trajectory might allow it to maintain more cohesion - otherwise it would/should have lost it in the height compression and absorbed.

The GFS was doing that according to theoretics rather nicely ... in fact still is... too well? It could also be too prodigious in doing so, which means its attenuation is prematurely ... possibly as a physical species too ... because the GEFs members individually both have and have no identity of that system. Since the Euro, GGEM and the GFS' own parallel run ... all have a coherent entity in the flow capable of inducing a swatch of synoptic usual suspects. I'd say keep and I on that.

Systems of this nature fit in between the supersynoptic scaled index variances and are not very well seen using more common tools.

'Course there's other issues...  A blend of the ones that do ...may not be ideally situate ... but... this dearth has gone on long enough, I think most would concede to the usefulness in having just about any possibility at all. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's not that far fetched, guys... Folks may be too ingrained in the arts of pattern loathing to see matters otherwise, but...  the idea of "anomalies happening at any given time" is still very much a part of reality.  Getting one to happen?  Okay, but it may only seem impossible in a Stockholm hostage situation

Yesterday I remarked that pushing that Euro system through the deep south was less likely, ...while today ...it does lift it more curvi-linear around the NW arc of the ridge ... That trajectory might allow it to maintain more cohesion - otherwise it would/should have lost it in the height compression and absorbed.

The GFS was doing that according to theoretics rather nicely ... in fact still is... too well? It could also be too prodigious in doing so, which means its attenuation is prematurely ... possibly as a physical species too ... because the GEFs members individually both have and have no identity of that system. Since the Euro, GGEM and the GFS' own parallel run ... all have a coherent entity in the flow capable of inducing a swatch of synoptic usual suspects. I'd say keep and I on that.

Systems of this nature fit in between the supersynoptic scaled index variances and are not very well seen using more common tools.

In other words, you’re saying there’s a chance. 

• Haha 1

Just now, rimetree said:

If you look at the 12z euro and 18z GFS, it would seem like the FV3 is a compromise between the two. So maybe not so far fetched.

do expect an elephant's amount of heavy handed suppression attempts of any optimism at all for that thing until it's already happened at this point.  given to the climate of disparity in here superseding all else. Can't say I blame anyone.

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

best post of the day . 

Thanks. I honestly think the lack of snow in December has begun to cause a manifested obsession over getting a perfect or near-perfect pattern. Most of our snow events don't even occur in those patterns. They are nice because they provide a lot more margin for error but the upcoming pattern plus climo is getting us to a point where we can easily score some respectable events. 

Fwiw, I do think we're probably going to get a kocin cookbook pattern later in the month into February but we don't need it to snow. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks. I honestly think the lack of snow in December has begun to cause a manifested obsession over getting a perfect or near-perfect pattern. Most of our snow events don't even occur in those patterns. They are nice because they provide a lot more margin for error but the upcoming pattern plus climo is getting us to a point where we can easily score some respectable events. 

Fwiw, I do think we're probably going to get a kocin cookbook pattern later in the month into February but we don't need it to snow. 

Ha... I just prequeled that sentiment a few posts ago...  it's lost on most people's rage at this point -

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha... I just prequeled that sentiment a few posts ago...  it's lost on most people's rage at this point -

Yeah you did. I didn't see the post until I made mine but you have sort of been hitting on that theme in earlier posts as well. 

Usually what happens is while everyone is searching for the big dog pattern, an event sneaks up on us and all of the sudden there are winter storm watches up for 8-12" on a little critter that bites (NJ bight style) or an overrunning event into a Caribou Maine high pressure...

We slip on the banana peel while searching for the larger hazard on the horizon. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you did. I didn't see the post until I made mine but you have sort of been hitting on that theme in earlier posts as well. 

Usually what happens is while everyone is searching for the big dog pattern, an event sneaks up on us and all of the sudden there are winter storm watches up for 8-12" on a little critter that bites (NJ bight style) or an overrunning event into a Caribou Maine high pressure...

We slip on the banana peel while searching for the larger hazard on the horizon. 

The idea for 120 hours isn't new folks - btw...  Like we're saying here, this is a go-between index sort of arrangement ... and typically that's how a region gets stung while preoccupied looking for honey. We'll see, ...but rackin' up a 'nother 4-6" on the seasonal totals ...I think that's been covered by a few of us actually as not impossible.  Hell, that could happen...melt off entirely... before we ever commit to a real supersynoptic shift for that matter...

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the real premium pattern will be setting up in the 2nd half of the month but we are already improved quite a bit before that. Keep in mind we don't need this obscenely perfect Kocin Cookbook pattern in early to mid January to have good snow threats in New England. That's getting to peak winter climo. Near normal is plenty good enough here. It's probably even more beneficial for us if the best of it holds off so we can get the 4-6 weeks of premium pattern to line up so that it includes all of February when climo starts rising again somewhat. 

We are getting some good PNA action though by Jan 4-10 so we could easily score a solid event in there somewhere. 

After this next soaker that soaks 80% of this entire site with rain.   Things look to dry out dramatically.

You guys might catch a clipper tho.  Hopefully because of your climo you don't get screwed with light rain if the system passes North of you.

November was awesome over the Eastern 2/3rds. 

It's just really disheartening to scan the gfs and see literally nothing through the entire run.  

1 hour ago, The_Global_Warmer said:

After this next soaker that soaks 80% of this entire site with rain.   Things look to dry out dramatically.

You guys might catch a clipper tho.  Hopefully because of your climo you don't get screwed with light rain if the system passes North of you.

November was awesome over the Eastern 2/3rds. 

It's just really disheartening to scan the gfs and see literally nothing through the entire run.  

How dis heartening is it when there's  been 20 of those kind of runs

I think the problem is that it’s been pulling teeth to try to get snow even in a decent pattern. It’s probably subjective too as far as what people think is good. For me, I’m looking for something serviceable and not just an advisory event that will torch away two days later when it’s 60. Something that may offer at least some semblance of a wintry stretch. I hope to God nobody is looking for a Kocin look. If one were to take the EPS, that may take until at least the 10th or so for a good stretch, but the end did look good.

• Like 1