Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its been pretty spot on the last three storm systems, I don't think anyone would be discarding it seriously.

The key is the northern stream energy diving south around day 3 and how it interacts with southern stream....the Euro whiffs on the phase/partial phase because it hangs back the southern stream over the southwest US. The other guidance at 00z tonight does not unless we include the 72-84 hour NAM as part of the guidance suite....I suppose we can, but it's less skilled than the other at this time lead.

You know… It would be ironic, if not hilarious… But we could actually not even be in January yet and already have a reasonably high confidence winter storm in the works. That, when seething over how much of Jan would suck too. I know I know blah blah blah  nobody actually said that... but it's definitely in the air and the attitude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is very interesting right now.  You have your warmest bias models saying snow to rain as the storm tracks over Cape Cod or South Shore. The colder bias models, the GFS, NavGEM and Para give a potentially good snowstorm. We'll see where the Euro tracks tonight.

I love this post from PF in Jan 2015 when I was arguing with him because I was so emphatic on E SNE being in the honey hole for an epic second half. Haha

I think you may be right, especially the second half of the winter. And sorry I have a pet peeve with the percent of normal thing just because of how it works relative to your average. I get just as bent when I see those seasonal forecasts for 150-200% of normal...which is pretty much all-time and then some.

The first half of winter definitely seemed to favor W/NW New England to some extent. We had multiple paste bombs where it rained in the east, and a foot of Thanksgiving snow amongst countless 1-5" events. I've had three solid warning snows so far when last year to date had zero.

But this is now a different pattern it seems so in the end you could very well be right.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I love this post from PF in Jan 2015 getting pissy because I was so emphatic on E SNE being in the honey hole for an epic second half. Haha

I think you may be right, especially the second half of the winter. And sorry I have a pet peeve with the percent of normal thing just because of how it works relative to your average. I get just as bent when I see those seasonal forecasts for 150-200% of normal...which is pretty much all-time and then some.

The first half of winter definitely seemed to favor W/NW New England to some extent. We had multiple paste bombs where it rained in the east, and a foot of Thanksgiving snow amongst countless 1-5" events. I've had three solid warning snows so far when last year to date had zero.

But this is now a different pattern it seems so in the end you could very well be right.

dude we have snow coming..

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The key is the northern stream energy diving south around day 3 and how it interacts with southern stream....the Euro whiffs on the phase/partial phase because it hangs back the southern stream over the southwest US. The other guidance at 00z tonight does not unless we include the 72-84 hour NAM as part of the guidance suite....I suppose we can, but it's less skilled than the other at this time lead.

Yup, Euro likes to hold back the s/w in the SW so you can factor that in and and still come with a favorable solution, The 12z solution was not that far off if you eject that sooner.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yup, Euro likes to hold back the s/w in the SW so you can factor that in and and still come with a favorable solution, The 12z solution was not that far off if you eject that sooner.

The northern stream also dives in big time on the GFS. Massive difference....Euro hangs back SW energy, but it's actually not that much more than the GFS does, only slightly. Look at the northern stream though....

Dec29-30animationGFS-Euro_new.gif