SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

Some winters have it, so don't.

This week is cold, with no snow.

Next week looks a bit warmer.

The ironic thing is that we havent had the extreme warmth (yet) that we have had in past winters. It has been a run of the mill warm winter. Very El Nino esque from mid December onwards.

I feel bad for guys waiting for a pattern change that always seems 10 days away. It may happen...or as is likely during these years, our winter may consist of what we have now plus 1 or 2 (if we are lucky) storms.

I take stock in posters pointing out the cold/dry; warmer/wet pattern. That has what we have seen since the end of November and continues thru this next cold week

I hope this phantom pattern change is a departure from this wet pattern that’s been in place for the entirety of 2018.

Much of Long Island got a break during the summer, both June and July were drier than normal. Hot and super humid but dry and sunny, much like Aruba but slightly cooler. Everywhere else had to deal with excess rainfall all year it seems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

it's been "changing" for a month-where's the big severe cold?!??!?

Even if we do switch to a colder and snowier pattern, no one can deny how much it has been getting pushed back.  I remember when it was supposed to happen around Christmas, and even back then people said it might happen earlier.

2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Even if we do switch to a colder and snowier pattern, no one can deny how much it has been getting pushed back.  I remember when it was supposed to happen around Christmas, and even back then people said it might happen earlier.

We're in the colder pattern right now. Its just nothing severe and it looks to be dry for the foreseeable future

22 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

We're in the colder pattern right now. Its just nothing severe and it looks to be dry for the foreseeable future

I agree with you, but this "colder pattern" really is not that cold when you look at our averages.  We're basically hovering around what it should be right now (tomorrow being the exception as it looks BN).

15 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Eh, colder than before yes. Highs in the low to mid-30s are rather typical for mid-January. I can't remember a snowless stretch this long before. Its been 2 months since weve seen measurable snowfall. Other than the cold wind which arrived today, its felt like spring

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Eh, colder than before yes. Highs in the low to mid-30s are rather typical for mid-January. I can't remember a snowless stretch this long before. Its been 2 months since weve seen measurable snowfall. Other than the cold wind which arrived today, its felt like spring

It could be worse, you could be in Worcester mass. They avarege triple what we do and have been skunked since November too.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

55 days is one the longest streaks within a season for NYC. The record  is 83 days in 11-12. Not easy to get 2 month streaks in a season between measurable snowfall. But it helps when we  have such an early event.

154 83 2011-10-30 through 2012-01-20
155 67 1889-12-15 through 1890-02-19
156 65 1983-02-13 through 1983-04-18
157 62 1998-01-19 through 1998-03-21
158 60 1953-11-07 through 1954-01-05
159 57 2007-12-17 through 2008-02-11
160 55 2018-11-16 through 2019-01-09
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bluewave said:

55 days is one the longest streaks within a season for NYC. The record  is 83 days in 11-12. Not easy to get 2 month streaks in a season between measurable snowfall. But it helps when we  have such an early event.

154 83 2011-10-30 through 2012-01-20
155 67 1889-12-15 through 1890-02-19
156 65 1983-02-13 through 1983-04-18
157 62 1998-01-19 through 1998-03-21
158 60 1953-11-07 through 1954-01-05
159 57 2007-12-17 through 2008-02-11
160 55 2018-11-16 through 2019-01-09

Chris did any of these seasons have 30" or more total snowfall?

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, psv88 said:

its the damned wind that makes it feel awful

"Alpine countries across Europe are battling record snowfalls that have claimed the lives of over a dozen people and severed road and air access to entire communities."  https://www.wsj.com/articles/snowbound-europe-struggles-to-dig-out-after-latest-storm-11547220680

"Meteorologists said the crisis was shaping up to be the most intense snowfall in a century.

Alexander Radlherr of Austria’s official meteorological service said the intensity of snowfall is measured by totalling the amount that falls in a 24-hour period over several consecutive days.

In some regions around Salzburg in Austria that amount is exceeding three meters at an altitude of 800 meters, approaching levels that were last seen a century ago, Mr. Radlherr said in a statement.

While the weather cleared on Friday, more heavy snowfalls were forecast for Sunday across the Alps. In some regions of Austria, the snow levels reached the 4-meter-mark this week."

Snow is piled up outside the Säntis Hotel in Schwägalp, Switzerland, Jan. 11, 2019, after an avalanche.

• Like 1