Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

March 1st...lowest record pressure in NYC...

https://www.app.com/story/news/2014/03/06/the-great-snowpocalypse-of-march-1914-asbury-park-cut-off-from-world/6143545/

Highest 
February 13, 1981

Lowest 
March 1, 1914

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like it was an earlier version of March 93. Around 13” of snow in NYC with a changeover to 1.50” of heavy rain. Hurricane force winds with record low pressure in NYC. The storm track may have been directly over NYC. One heck of a front end thump before heavy rains came. No wonder there were so many reports of roof colllapses from the weight on the snow and rain.

https://www.app.com/story/news/2014/03/06/the-great-snowpocalypse-of-march-1914-asbury-park-cut-off-from-world/6143545/

Highest 
February 13, 1981

Lowest 
March 1, 1914

looks like it was rain to snow according to the kocin book

IMG_20190107_155146.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

looks like it was rain to snow according to the kocin book

IMG_20190107_155146.jpg

Good find. I got the order of P-types reversed. About half fell as snow.

1914-03-01 38 22 30.0 -8.1 35 0 2.95 13.5 13
1914-03-02 26 17 21.5 -16.8 43 0 0.16 1.0 13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Good find. I got the order of P-types reversed. About half fell as snow.

1914-03-01 38 22 30.0 -8.1 35 0 2.95 13.5 13
1914-03-02 26 17 21.5 -16.8 43 0 0.16 1.0 13

that must have been such an intense band on the west side of the storm. i'd do anything to see something like that happen again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

that must have been such an intense band on the west side of the storm. i'd do anything to see something like that happen again 

That could have been the strongest W or NW winds ever recorded in a NYC blizzard. Pretty wild sting jet blizzard with a 952 low going right overhead.

https://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/cornell?a=d&d=CDS19140302.2.15

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

@LibertyBell  none of your browsers come up with the + sign for multi quotes?

75D204D1-76D9-48B4-B0D6-0B43558077B3.jpeg

I see that but nothing happens when I click on it.  I'm going to try and test it out again though I just spent all night uninstalling and reinstalling everything and did a manual download of Windows 10 Build 1809 since my automatic Windows Update feature wasn't working for some reason.  I also wasn't able to update my motherboard BIOS until now, so maybe it's all related?

20 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

I agree---We have had such blockbuster winters recently it does seem as though there would be a "balancing out"

I think we have a new climate of extremes, so if anything we will just have extremes going in the other direction until eventually warmth wins out.

16 hours ago, Byrdhousebv said:

image.thumb.png.a88c74f41b5c6b99ef5e24bf76320339.png

Bless the clown maps....they always lift my spirits LOL

too bad the GFS supposedly has errors in it that cant be fixed right now.

YAY it works!  

On 1/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, bluewave said:

16 hours ago, North and West said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46780856

yikes. I guess that's where the snow and cold is.

Sorry I was just testing it to make sure it also works when quoting posts that are on different pages (it does!)

What you're seeing in Europe will be happening here in a few short weeks, when the east based -NAO becomes a west based -NAO, we really need that Greenland block.......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I see that but nothing happens when I click on it.  I'm going to try and test it out again though I just spent all night uninstalling and reinstalling everything and did a manual download of Windows 10 Build 1809 since my automatic Windows Update feature wasn't working for some reason.  I also wasn't able to update my motherboard BIOS until now, so maybe it's all related?

I’m far from a computer geek but that’s odd. When you click on the + it should change to a check mark while a little box comes up on the lower right which says “quote 1 post”. Then just hit the + for each post you want to quote. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m far from a computer geek but that’s odd. When you click on the + it should change to a check mark while a little box comes up on the lower right which says “quote 1 post”. Then just hit the + for each post you want to quote. 

Yes it was weird because a lot of stuff wasn't working quite right. There's an ASUS utility that's supposed to update the motherboard's BIOS and it said I had the latest version and I went on their site and there were three newer ones than the one I had and when I went to Windows Update it told me there were no updates even though I didn't even have the latest build.  I basically had to do everything manually and now it seems like everything's working!  Thanks for your help, Rob!

edit- maybe the adblocker I had running before was blocking it?  I'm not running it right now since I reinstalled the browsers.  That could be the culprit behind the multiquote thing not working, but not sure why the BIOS nor Windows wasn't updating.