• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

This is what we need- it can snow all it wants to Friday, Saturday, Monday, etc.  But Sunday night we want completely clear skies from 11:41 PM to 12:43 AM Monday morning.

Just checked wunderground and they have rain from Friday to Saturday, changing to snow Saturday afternoon and then snow from then right through Monday morning, total of 7-14 inches!

For Mt Pocono they have all snow from Friday through Monday morning, total of 11-19 inches!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

This is what we need- it can snow all it wants to Friday, Saturday, Monday, etc.  But Sunday night we want completely clear skies from 11:41 PM to 12:43 AM Monday morning.

This is basically what transpired during the last total lunar eclipse in this area in September '15. This 4-hour exposure I did shows the progression of cloudcover nicely... you can see the illuminated overcast at the beginning of the eclipse yielding to clear skies at totality, before clouds started building again toward the end of partial eclipse (the missing slivers in the moon trail)

UFiOTGO.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

This is basically what transpired during the last total lunar eclipse in this area in September '15. This 4-hour exposure I did shows the progression of cloudcover nicely... you can see the illuminated overcast at the beginning of the eclipse yielding to clear skies at totality, before clouds started building again toward the end of partial eclipse (the missing slivers in the moon trail)

UFiOTGO.jpg

I remember that, it cleared just in time for totality and the time of night this one is happening is very similar.  You really need to crank up the ISO when imaging total lunar eclipses to make sure there is no motion blur with the moon (unless you use really short focal lengths), if doing a tele shot I keep it at 3200 if doing a wide shot it's at 800.

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

But we cant trust the models so why discuss it. Or something.

Wx-board poison.   The whole point is to discuss these things.  Yes, take OP runs at this range with a grain of salt but the ensembles all have a solid storm signal that can't be ignored.  The pattern supports multiple opportunities for significant winter weather in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast US.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Anyone have the mean from 21z srefs for Central Park I know you guys hate srefs but I’m hoping for a quick inch at the Park ?

It's ridiculous.   Until something else suppprts it I would keep my expectations extemely low.  I think it's around 5".

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Wx-board poison.   The whole point is to discuss these things.  Yes, take OP runs at this range with a grain of salt but the ensembles all have a solid storm signal that can't be ignored.  The pattern supports multiple opportunities for significant winter weather in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast US.

More than half the excitement actually comes from discussing the possibilities, whether they work out or not.  Things actually get a little less exciting when you know what the outcome will be, even if the outcome is a snowy one.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember that, it cleared just in time for totality and the time of night this one is happening is very similar.  You really need to crank up the ISO when imaging total lunar eclipses to make sure there is no motion blur with the moon (unless you use really short focal lengths), if doing a tele shot I keep it at 3200 if doing a wide shot it's at 800.

I prioritize closeups of the moon very low on my list of "must-get" shots. If you have a planetary imaging scope with an equivalent focal length of like 3000mm, along with an observatory-grade guided tracking mount, you can do them very well. Failing that, we all just blend in with the torrent of grainy pepperonis on facebook next morning. Wide angles and foreground context ftw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I prioritize closeups of the moon very low on my list of "must-get" shots. If you have a planetary imaging scope with an equivalent focal length of like 3000mm, along with an observatory-grade guided tracking mount, you can do them very well. Failing that, we all just blend in with the torrent of grainy pepperonis on facebook next morning. Wide angles and foreground context ftw.

Moon was the only word here above 3 letters i understood. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey I just checked out the gfs para and it shows how the next two threats after this particular storm that’s hitting dc great) could both kinda work out for us. It shows snow for the first threat and than snow to ice back to snow and the clown maps are just that but these high pressures are hard to break. Although I do think this storm system happening right now is strong but not as strong as modeled. It’s a bit warmer than what it’s depicting on the models. I’m expecting at least a dusting in New York City tonight into tomorrow.

CFFC653C-FD87-447B-BAAF-EB4DC2A989DE.png

• Confused 1