Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I rode in Fort Kent when it was -38°F, Its cold.

Never been sledding in those temps, though I got minor frostbite on my left ear at -16; windshield on that side had a considerable "bite" taken out by an earlier crash.  I have gone bushwhacking at -40 near St.-Pamphile, PQ - was -47 at the house in Ft. Kent.  The 4 of us had planned 4 separate explorations on T13R16 and T14R16, but decided for safety sake to go out in pairs.  My chum, who was about 50 lb lighter than me, wanted to do most/all of the trailbreaking, as he couldn't stay warm walking in my deep snowshoe tracks.  More fun was fueling Folsom's Jet Ranger at -37 (plus rotor wash) outside our Ft. Kent office.  The ship had been hangared or otherwise heated in Greenvile but could not be depended on to restart in the intense cold.

Just now, tamarack said:

Never been sledding in those temps, though I got minor frostbite on my left ear at -16; windshield on that side had a considerable "bite" taken out by an earlier crash.  I have gone bushwhacking at -40 near St.-Pamphile, PQ - was -47 at the house in Ft. Kent.  The 4 of us had planned 4 separate explorations on T13R16 and T14R16, but decided for safety sake to go out in pairs.  My chum, who was about 50 lb lighter than me, wanted to do most/all of the trailbreaking, as he couldn't stay warm walking in my deep snowshoe tracks.  More fun was fueling Folsom's Jet Ranger at -37 (plus rotor wash) outside our Ft. Kent office.  The ship had been hangared or otherwise heated in Greenvile but could not be depended on to restart in the intense cold.

Folks up that way have to have block heaters in there vehicles or they go out every couple hours or so and let them run for 5-10 mins, We were at the bar at the Caribou Inn one nght while up riding for a weekend, I kept seeing people going in and outside, I figured they were going out to smoke a butt so i asked one girl and she told me we have to go out and start our vehicles every couple hours when it gets this cold, I said, OK, And i asked the bartender for another drink and carried on.................:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Folks up that way have to have block heaters in there vehicles or they go out every couple hours or so and let them run for 5-10 mins, We were at the bar at the Caribou Inn one nght while up riding for a weekend, I kept seeing people going in and outside, I figured they were going out to smoke a butt so i asked one girl and she told me we have to go out and start our vehicles every couple hours when it gets this cold, I said, OK, And i asked the bartender for another drink and carried on.................:)

And the Diesel fumes up there smell like a kerosene lamp thanks to all the #1 added so engines will start.   In the 2009 record cold, when we touched -36 at my place, I was out at 9P, 1A, and 5A, so vehicles would start that morning.  Then last winter I let my truck sit neither used nor started for 3 days over New Years.  Jumper cables are real stiff at -27.  :axe:
(It's all fake cold, of course, but my truck's battery is unable to tell the difference.)

Just now, tamarack said:

And the Diesel fumes up there smell like a kerosene lamp thanks to all the #1 added so engines will start.   In the 2009 record cold, when we touched -36 at my place, I was out at 9P, 1A, and 5A, so vehicles would start that morning.  Then last winter I let my truck sit neither used nor started for 3 days over New Years.  Jumper cables are real stiff at -27.  :axe:

Yeah, They have to run a lot of K-1 or additives so they won't Gel up there, My extensions cord this am at -2 were pretty stiff as well to my Duramax.

Mid-slope at 2,500ft or so.  About halfway down a sweet ski run.

I hope folks realize how mid-winter this looks for December 13th, after it hasn't *really* snowed in several days, if not a week.. 

Cold, cold and cold.  -7 to -9 NNE departures, including MPV and MVL.  Even BTV is -5.1 which is a torch location.  For BTV to be -5.1 almost half-way through a month!?  The place runs 2-3F above the rest on average lately!

qPgwnt4.jpg

• Like 1

Looked at every +ENSO since 1950 for October 1 - December 13. No matter if it were weak positive ENSO, weak, moderate, strong, or super El Nino. The closest matches I found were:

All of these years but 1952-53 had cold Jan-Feb.

Here's the January-February composite for those years:

Screenshot_20181214-153022.jpg

What does this mean? Maybe nothing...but interesting nonetheless.