Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/27 - Everything and the Kitchen Sink Obs

Lava Rock

23 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I thought you were permanently on the DL for skiing?

Day by day, yea probably but I am working my arse off in PT to regain strength in my muscles and to overcome multiple issues. I mean if our friend here with MS can ski I need to suck it up. He's an inspiration.  Skiing with him last year stays in my mind. All I can do is stay positive and hope but this mega blitz is fookin killing me  lol.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Angus said:

Specific to BW, right now they only have 17 trails officially open. I had an expiring comp ticket there last winter which I had use by mid-Dec, went up on a day when they received 18" - had a blast once I was lucky to meet a local who took me around to closed parts of the mountain - which nobody seemed to mind we were skiing btw - but the lift layout was a limiting factor. Someone on another board mentioned that BW seems limited at moment my lack of staff. NH hardcore skiers are going to head to either Cannon or Wildcat anyway. You're living in the winter wonderland at moment...why couldn't every November be like this!

Staffing is an issue up here for everyone - including us! But I don't think that's it. This is pretty standard - people just don't ski much this early. And keep in mind, Cannon and Wildcat attract a very different crowd from Bretton Woods, which tends to be affluent families rather than true hard core skiers. But people have a lot of commitments this time of the year, which I think is a factor, and the resort is not going to waste money opening all the trails when there's 5 people skiing. But hey, for those of us who do ski, it's pretty amazing conditions and never a person in front of you in the lift!

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I wouldn't call 300% of normal rough.  

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

8.5 when I average 1.2 is what percent of normal? I  mean cmon it is only Nov and we have 2 maybe 3 serious threats on the boards. Pickles is looking at the same ground we are.

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I'm happy with the 6+ I got a few weeks ago.  Nothing wrong with that in November.

Pickles gone wild.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

About 700  :lol:
Only added 1" during daylight yesterday as the brighter echoes dodged our area.  Then, after 0.22" RA aft/eve, very light SN began just before 9 PM and continued all night, adding another 0.6".  A far cry from Bretton Woods, but usually we get nothing from that kind of follow-up SN.  Storm total 7.1" (unless we accumulate today, which I doubt) from 0.78" LE and 1.00" total precip.  A solid 14" pack, probably holds 3-4" SWE, about my average for late January.

All bass no treble to, belly to belly up there 

3.5" overnight of more typical fluff, storm total of 11.4" at 7am.  Some -SN right now, not expecting much more, maybe another 1".  Saw about 30 utility trucks gearing up this morning. Lost power for a couple hours yesterday, flickering a little still this morning.

26.8" for NOV--looking on xmacis2- this month moves to #1 NOV spot for the SVT valley towns from Bennington up through Manchester/Dorset in Bennington County. That follows up with March '18 also being in the #1 spot. Quite a year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

3.5" overnight of more typical fluff, storm total of 11.4" at 7am.  Some -SN right now, not expecting much more, maybe another 1".  Saw about 30 utility trucks gearing up this morning. Lost power for a couple hours yesterday, flickering a little still this morning.

26.8" for NOV--looking on xmacis2- this month moves to #1 NOV spot for the SVT valley towns from Bennington up through Manchester/Dorset in Bennington County. That follows up with March '18 also being in the #1 spot. Quite a year.

It’s incredible. I left early last April after a powder day with the mountain still buried and followed that right up with an epic opening weekend. I would call in sick right now and head up early for the weekend but I’m still knee deep in leaves on campus and can’t just screw my coworkers. 

23” and counting storm total at Stratton. Mega hit for svt any time of year.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Day by day, yea probably but I am working my arse off in PT to regain strength in my muscles and to overcome multiple issues. I mean if our friend here with MS can ski I need to suck it up. He's an inspiration.  Skiing with him last year stays in my mind. All I can do is stay positive and hope but this mega blitz is fookin killing me  lol.

Even if you can’t ski your overall strength will help you in so many ways.  Keep the work going!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

By exit 4 on 89 in VT, you should be excited.

Holy wow - you weren’t kidding! Solid foot and a half here at sugarbush; bumps/pow on the trails and mostly untracked in the woods. A+ day for sure. Out of storage so can’t post pics from my phone but I’ll put some in the ski thread when I’m back in Boston.

Been snowing lightly here all day, hasn’t added up to much but it’s certianly keeping the stoke going!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SR Airglow said:

Holy wow - you weren’t kidding! Solid foot and a half here at sugarbush; bumps/pow on the trails and mostly untracked in the woods. A+ day for sure. Out of storage so can’t post pics from my phone but I’ll put some in the ski thread when I’m back in Boston.

Been snowing lightly here all day, hasn’t added up to much but it’s certianly keeping the stoke going!

Go go go

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

S VT getting revenge for several years of screwjobs before 2017. Climo is a b*tch.

Spotter in Woodford, VT at 2300' reported 26" at Noon, probably closer to 30" now since they're still getting pounded. That place is upslope headquarters. 

https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=09

1 hour ago, ENYsnow said:

Spotter in Woodford, VT at 2300' reported 26" at Noon, probably closer to 30" now since they're still getting pounded. That place is upslope headquarters. 

https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=09

did that guy report like a 48" total last season?  I seem to remember a picture with snow to the top of a door.

1 hour ago, ENYsnow said:

Yeah he did, I forget the dates but they got 4-5 feet over like 4-5 days there.

It was the second and third storm last March. We had 36” at Stratton followed by another 24”. And yes Woodford is the ultimate snow spot in the southern greens. I plan on eventually buying in that vicinity. As high as possible! 

Got the drone up today for a birds eye view of our apple trees and birch trees.  Jeez all the birch that line our pastures took such a hit.  I am so anal about our view and tree line.  The birch stands around the rocks in the fields make (made) for such a picturesque view from the house.  I actually hired someone today to go around and "free" as many birch as possible but I don't think it will do much good.  They will never come back upright.  Looks like a crew with a chipper might be the way to go this spring.

...anyway here is the drone footage.  It got up to the mid 30's today so much of the snow is now off the trees as you can see in the video.  Note how below our ridgeline there is no snow while the hills and the Whites just to my north are still plastered..

PS  I made this video also for our friends that own their vacation house across the road.  That is why I flew the drone over to their front yard so they could see as they live down in Boston

PSS  New drone with zoom.  Obviously, the pilot (me) is not a very good operator yet....

• Like 3

Nice vid Gene. You need to plant some snow stakes around the area at specific elevations and fly the drone up to them to see how much fell where. :lol:

I saw you mention a new station. If you want my advice I'd go with this:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

If you want to splurge more than that let me know. :lol:

17 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Got the drone up today for a birds eye view of our apple trees and birch trees.  Jeez all the birch that line our pastures took such a hit.  I am so anal about our view and tree line.  The birch stands around the rocks in the fields make (made) for such a picturesque view from the house.  I actually hired someone today to go around and "free" as many birch as possible but I don't think it will do much good.  They will never come back upright.  Looks like a crew with a chipper might be the way to go this spring.

...anyway here is the drone footage.  It got up to the mid 30's today so much of the snow is now off the trees as you can see in the video.  Note how below our ridgeline there is no snow while the hills and the Whites just to my north are still plastered..

PS  I made this video also for our friends that own their vacation house across the road.  That is why I flew the drone over to their front yard so they could see as they live down in Boston

PSS  New drone with zoom.  Obviously, the pilot (me) is not a very good operator yet....

Dude that's great. What is the name of your road up there? I need to take a weenie drive up there next time I'm up. I never knew about the houses there. My brother-in-law's wife's family has property on the other side of the hill near the Pemi.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Dude that's great. What is the name of your road up there? I need to take a weenie drive up there next time I'm up. I never knew about the houses there. My brother-in-law's wife's family has property on the other side of the hill near the Pemi.

John Smith Hill Road Bridgewater.    9 miles off Exit 23 on Rt 93..  1 hour 50 minutes from the Zakim Bridge/

Boston.  Easy ride.  Exit 23 is Rt 104.  Then Rt 104 north to 3A.   Come on up.

• Like 1

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

John Smith Hill Road Bridgewater.    9 miles off Exit 23 on Rt 93..  1 50 minutes from the Zakem Bridge.  Easy ride.  Exit 23 is Rt 104.  Then Rt 104 north to 3A.   Come on up.

Yep, get off 23 all the time for the lake. That ridge line used to always get me pumped when I was a kid because I knew we were close to Winni. 

• Like 1