Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Things very few on here care about, but the meso-models are surprisingly cold tomorrow evening for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, etc.  RGEM and NAM even want to snow into the NNE valleys for a good burst of QPF on the front end.  850s are surprisingly cold too.

If something like the NAM/WRF/RGEM panned out, could be more interesting than it seemed a day or two ago.

Need to see soundings as I suspect there's some marginal layer just above 850mb but it's got SFC temps of 33F widespread with this look. 

5msxqXx.png

EHDVKRU.png

Often seems to be the case with these marginal systems as the mesos do a better job of sniffing out CAD. Looking at the GFS(currently the warmest guidance I believe) sounding for my spot in Northern NH (Shelburne at 900", right on the NH/ME line), there's definitely a marginal layer around 700 or so but even at 06z it's still a snow sounding down to the final couple hundred feet above the surface. I'd imagine with good enough rates we'd see some 33f paste but it's so marginal that we'll just have to wait and see what verifies.

Either way, should be some good early season base building for the higher elevations and probably a nice ski day on Saturday for Sunday River and Wildcat.

goofus-sounding.png 

7 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

Often seems to be the case with these marginal systems as the mesos do a better job of sniffing out CAD. Looking at the GFS(currently the warmest guidance I believe) sounding for my spot in Northern NH (Shelburne at 900", right on the NH/ME line), there's definitely a marginal layer around 700 or so but even at 06z it's still a snow sounding down to the final couple hundred feet above the surface. I'd imagine with good enough rates we'd see some 33f paste but it's so marginal that we'll just have to wait and see what verifies.

Either way, should be some good early season base building for the higher elevations and probably a nice ski day on Saturday for Sunday River and Wildcat.

goofus-sounding.png 

Yeah and the GFS seems to currently be the warmest model.  Hard to say with it as often in those marginal SNE events most folks seem in favor of tossing the SFC temps as too high.  

But it appears the model differences of the GFS vs mesos is about 1-2C in the lowest 2,000ft... which makes all the difference in the world in a situation like this.  The GGEM is more like the RGEM (RGEM would keep your spot all snow) with a lot of 32-34F surface temps during heaviest precip.  

Also add in SE flow which can add some upslope cooling to the east slopes of the Greens and SE slopes of the Whites...sometimes that low level forced ascent can get that extra 1C of cooling needed in the low levels.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That kind of piqued my interest a little that run, Not far off from a bomb to the coast, Sub 982mb

If it's still in that general zone on Saturday, it might be time to consider it more realistically in the mountains.  As it is, definitely filed under "continue watching" status.  Like in mid-winter with long lead sometimes it's easy to get lulled in by consistency...this one has been on the models since like Day 9, and definitely don't want to be fooled by the consistency for the past 4 days of some sort of wintry event in the mountains.  Long way to go still.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

If it's still in that general zone on Saturday, it might be time to consider it more realistically in the mountains.  As it is, definitely filed under "continue watching" status.  Like in mid-winter, this one has been on the models since like Day 9, and definitely don't want to be fooled by the consistency for the past 4 days of some sort of wintry event in the mountains.  Long way to go still.

Of course, That's really the first Euro run that was further east with Tuesdays low pressure over the past several days, But that was a pretty big change at H5 from the 0z run so i'm wondering if a s/w out west was better sampled, Guess we watch, We wait.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Things very few on here care about, but the meso-models are surprisingly cold tomorrow evening for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, etc.  RGEM and NAM even want to snow into the NNE valleys for a good burst of QPF on the front end.  850s are surprisingly cold too.

If something like the NAM/WRF/RGEM panned out, could be more interesting than it seemed a day or two ago.

WeCare.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not gonna lie, I'm scared that this new test GFS is going to take over for the old one.  

The test GFS has been by far the snowiest model for the past 3 days of model runs.  I'm not sure what the algorithm is but for three straight days, 4 runs a day, it has had next week's storm have a jackpot of 20+ inches.  

Some runs have even been over 30".  If this is what the GFS becomes, it's going to be a sh*tshow when every event is on crystal meth:

IMG_1092.thumb.PNG.31da6eeb8c81e7bae7e83b43d63e810a.PNG

I'm in the jack stripe, so that can't be right.

12z GFS op brings Tuesday's LP right over my head, for a torch-deluge.  Track will likely wobble E-W a couple degrees longitude about every 12 hours from now thru zero hour.

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'm in the jack stripe, so that can't be right.

12z GFS op brings Tuesday's LP right over my head, for a torch-deluge.  Track will likely wobble E-W a couple degrees longitude about every 12 hours from now thru zero hour.

I'd swallow my monitor if that verified.

This is suddenly beginning to pique my interest here above 2K. It's going to a battle between the WAA aloft near 700-750 mb, the surface, and the dynamical cooling resulting from the heavy precipitation. 

I'm more concerned about the midlevel warmth...if I can overwhelm that, it'll snow parachutes down here at the surface. Mesos keep me wet snow for several hours before flipping to cold rain and then ending as some upslope snow showers Saturday AM. I may have a glacier by then if we snow, rain, and snow/freeze. Snow blower is gassed up and ready to go just in case.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Outside of the mountains and deep interior it still leans towards a close but no cigar mid-level torch for most. 

Yup, Still torches aloft just inland, But it was torching aloft to QUE a day or two ago, That sneaky cold, Need to keep an eye on future runs.

I'm awaiting the rain storm, but should it trend colder, I still have Pit 1 available if need be.

That said, GYX even has a mix at Pit2.  sounds lovely.

Monday Night
A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday
Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 1pm. High near 44. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Tuesday Night
Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%.